Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UFO Challenge

February Goal: 3 UFO's
    1. Queen size dresden plate: Complete quilting & binding
    2. Yellow & pink baby quilt: Quilt & bind
    3. X's & O's baby quilt: Sandwich, quilt & bind

1 has been going for over a year, also the first one that I didn't do a complete all over design. I have 2 1/2 outer borders to finish the quilting.
    2 & 3 haven't been around long but need to be completed & donated.
    It cost you nothing to be kind, you don't know what they are going through~

Looks like some awesome goals, my goal is simple this month (Find my sewing room and work on something!) I have a couple of former WIP that have become UFO's So the first is to do a memory quilt that was promised over a year ago. and I have been looking at a denim quilt that needs to go back to church. I brought home a large stack of 5 inch squares and just doing a simple 4 patch, I am about 1/2 done. Unfortunately life, weather and machine repairs have gotten in the way.

I'm all for goals. Pics...the computer has decided to upgrade and making the process so confussing, it's frustrating.

#1 is probably 3-4 yrs old. Needs quilt/bind
    #2 had 1 block finished, more complicated than I imagined, so got put aside. Recently pulled it out and got most of the top placed. Then another project got in the way. So I want to finish it this month.
    #3 was started last fall in memory of the Paradise/Camp fire in Northern California. We live in similar terrain-it could happen to us. The theme for the next gallery hanging is "Fracture" and I think this quilt shows how Paradise is fractured. It'll always have scars. There's talk of rebuilding it with fire prevention features and be a model for mountain communities. This is the highest priority for Feb.

Blog Entries
    I'm here, but sorta inactive, as I'm a tax accountant. I won't be "up & running" for several weeks yet.

Here's my quilt list (they're in a worksheet)
    18 in process, all bits on hand (oldest UFO is from 1973, so is 45 years old)
    23 scrappy started, still cutting bits
    23 flimsies to quilt (oldest is about 6 years)
    32 in planning (most have fabric on hand, some are ideas/dreams/thinking stage only)
    96 Total

May not be the mostest, but gotta be up there! heehee!

hahaha for closing the drawer. I shall think about tha-at tamaarraw.

Flimsy names: Baby Mouse, Toddler Counts Colors, Baby Girl, Twin Insect, Alecia Space, Puppy Lamb, Birch Branches*, Uncle Wonk*, Brown/Rust*, Kentucky Album (a BH)*, Red Spinner*, Plus (charm quilt, no fabric repeats)*, Red Kite*, Clementine*, Jacob's Ladder*, 12" crumb*, Aunt Caroline (a BH-charm quilt, no fabric repeats)*, 6" crumb*, Chisel Stripe*, Grad quilt, BYO sampler, 64 patch*, unequal 9p

*designates quilt as part of my Master Cut-Down Plan
    Last edited by quiltmouse; 02-05-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

OH SBG...did you find a drawer that should've been left closed?
    Apparently I did! I was a champ today and did most of the quilting on the Chunky Churndash UFO. Yay! Also quilted a kid's I Spy, but it wasn't a very old quilt. Just put it together maybe a month ago, so it's more of a WIP than UFO.

That Curtain Call looks like a great pattern for scraps!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Whoa are there some admirable plans out there...great ideas folks. But oh my, quiltmouse...you counted and labeled them all...brave brave person! We will see you back some time in mid April!

Yes SBG...each block takes about 20" of one color and 10+" of a second of a 2.5" cuts...think of all those bits of binding that are left over from a project (they usually read "solid") and pair it with a colorful match. It's from a book called "Slashbusters" made by Gathering Friends.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Whoa are there some admirable plans out there...great ideas folks. But oh my, quiltmouse...you counted and labeled them all...brave brave person! We will see you back some time in mid April!

Yes SBG...each block takes about 20" of one color and 10+" of a second of a 2.5" cuts...think of all those bits of binding that are left over from a project (they usually read "solid") and pair it with a colorful match. It's from a book called "Slashbusters" made by Gathering Friends.
    Great idea for leftover binding! I have a "drawer" of novelty strips that are the leftovers from cutting I Spy squares. What a fun kid's quilt they would make. So are the squares 2.5" x 3"?
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Blog Entries
    Sorry the book is "Stashblasters"

https://gatheringfriendsquiltshop.co...-pattern-book/
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Made progress on my own UFO and also one of JJBlaine... She sent me her snowman quilt to embroider. Jess, I got 1/3 of the faces done. They are all different, all have orange carrot noses. So cute!

On looking at the Chunky Churndash, I think I'm going to leave it with minimal quilting. I like the way it looks, soft and drapey... so I will leave it more like a comforter than a quilt. And on to the next!

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Made progress on my own UFO and also one of JJBlaine... She sent me her snowman quilt to embroider. Jess, I got 1/3 of the faces done. They are all different, all have orange carrot noses. So cute!
    OMG! I am so excited and grateful! I can't believe you have so many little faces done for me already. I'm going to need to get busy on my other projects if I'm going to be ready to quilt it when you're done.

This month I'm working on baby diapers and diaper covers for the grandson that is due on Valentines day. I fractured my wrist a little bit, so it is going frustratingly slow. As soon as I have those done, I hope to get some FMQ done on a Thimbleberries UFO.

It was originally a Lap size BOM, but somehow I managed to turn it into an almost-king size quilt. I'm going to give it to a friend I have known for over 25 years. I made quilts for her kids (who are my godchildren), but somehow never got around to making one for her.

Quiltmouse, I'm right there with you. I just have never taken an accurate count!

Linda in Missouri

Wow... no posts in 5 days. But... I have a finish! I got the Chunky Churndash all done and I just love it. I don't know why I let it languish so long. This was a UFO for at least 5 years, if not more. I think it was my oldest UFO. Now it's done.

This is a free pattern on the Quiltville site. I made it a very controlled scrappy, carefully selecting perfect combos for each block. I also didn't over-quilt it. The batting is soft and I wanted the quilt to be somewhat drapey, not hard.

Name:  IMG_4728.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  222.8 KB

The long view... from across the room
    Name:  IMG_4727.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  169.7 KB

close up
    Name:  IMG_4729.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  231.7 KB

And this I Spy is a shorter term UFO.

Name:  IMG_4716.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  198.9 KB

And JJBlaine... I'm embroidering the last 5 faces on your snowmen quilt. It will be in the mail to you this week!

Name:  IMG_4731.JPG
Size:  102.9 KBName:  IMG_4735.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  107.8 KBName:  IMG_4732.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  106.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Nice finish, SBG. Very well unified design; nice contrast in the hourglass blocks. Soft and drapey is the best kind!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Congrats on your finish sewbizgirl, it looks great.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Congratulations on your finishes, sewbizgirl! Lovely! Your snowmen faces are adorable.

We had around 6.5" of snow today with more forecast for tomorrow night into Tuesday evening. We had a very nice winter until the deep freeze hit last week and now the snow. Lovely Minnesota weather!
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

And JJBlaine... I'm embroidering the last 5 faces on your snowmen quilt. It will be in the mail to you this week!

Name:  IMG_4731.JPG
Size:  102.9 KBName:  IMG_4735.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  107.8 KBName:  IMG_4732.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  106.0 KB
    The snowman faces look fabulous! I can't believe you are almost done, plus finished up your wonderful UFO's (Love the churn dash scrappy!)

SBG! Beautiful fabrics on that CD! What a treat that one is! How big did it finish at?

Sewbiz....that chunky churndash is outstanding. Absolutely gorgeous! Awesome job on the snowmen....

I think I'm creating UFO's by not being able to machine quilt my recent finished top. I'll have another done in a couple of days, which I never ever ever do.. (I can hear Oksewglad screeching right now...lol!!) I've never tried it on my travel machine...not enough throat space but I'm going to try it. I already have anxiety.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    SBG! Beautiful fabrics on that CD! What a treat that one is! How big did it finish at?
    Thanks... I didn’t measure it, but it should be about 66”x78”. Nice to sleep under!

Blog Entries
    Bwhahahaha Teen is succumbing to the evil UFO land!!

Meanwhile back on the farm, I'm working on a couple of new projects...Now really you say. When I asked my oldest GS if he wanted a t-shirt quilt when he graduates from HS next year...he replied "no"...well how about a denim one? Another "no, I just want a quilt, Gma." That set me thinking. I had a supply of plaid flannels and homespuns in all sorts of small chunks. I began cutting in the widest widths down to the smallest possible. These pieces I sewed end to end in long strips. I had enough strips to sew a 68 x 80 flimsy with plenty to spare. I then improv sewed a little crib quilt from the leftovers. Now to find backings for them to finish them off!

Last year I declared it the year of the triangle and organized all the random triangles I have accumulated. I'm sewing Maverick stars with them stitching to 2 1/2" red squares. Also using scrap print squares for the center of the star...Oh yes another project going!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oksewglad, those projects sound so interesting. I hope you show us photos when they are done... or at least finished tops.

Blog Entries
    I do have a few progress pics, SBG...I just need to get them uploaded...have a quilt guild meeting today...then another blast of winter!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

sewbizgirl, what a beautiful finish -- and the snowman faces are charming.

I finished quilting the second quadrant of my quilt yesterday. Onward!
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Skipastitch View Post
    February Goal: 3 UFO's
    1. Queen size dresden plate: Complete quilting & binding
    2. Yellow & pink baby quilt: Quilt & bind
    3. X's & O's baby quilt: Sandwich, quilt & bind

1 has been going for over a year, also the first one that I didn't do a complete all over design. I have 2 1/2 outer borders to finish the quilting.
    2 & 3 haven't been around long but need to be completed & donated.
    Mid way through the month & I have completed a small round table runner binding. Started the binding of a large table runner. Completed the 1/2 border, starting on the remaining two. There is still hope, since I will be home again this weekend.

Love those snowmen faces! They made me smile.
    It cost you nothing to be kind, you don't know what they are going through~

Skipastitch: You are making good progress.
    Connie

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast