2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 AM

Either today or Friday I will need to run up to the LQS to find a backing fabric for a UFO that is ready to be sandwiched and quilted. I will try hard not to fall off the wagon LOL!

Rob
Old 01-08-2020, 07:19 AM

Rob,
I understand. I kind of cheated some. My fabric purchases were following Christmas, with coupons and only for projects that are currently in progress! Since the Moratorium did not originally start until January 1st, I am gold.

You have got this. Plus, if you do fall off the wagon, it will just come back around and we will just pull you back on.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Motorcyclemad View Post
Rob,
I understand. I kind of cheated some. My fabric purchases were following Christmas, with coupons and only for projects that are currently in progress! Since the Moratorium did not originally start until January 1st, I am gold.

You have got this. Plus, if you do fall off the wagon, it will just come back around and we will just pull you back on.

thanks Motorcyclemad! I have to fess up that I bought a bolt of muslin from Amazon today, but I go through that stuff pretty fast since I use it to make storage bags for finished quilts so I’m thinking that it shouldn’t count as a serious fall off the wagon...

Rob
Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 AM

Some things we need just as much as thread or other things. I didn't replace my regular buys of black and white kona yardage during the off-moratorium time and I probably will need to do so soon. I used up the white dying extra fabrics and the black in various projects throughout the year. Again, if you are going to use it and it doesn't add to stash, while not as desirable as using stash it is ok.

This year, however, I will not be so kind towards those who get super Penny or Walmart deals. Mostly from jealousy but there you go!

Crack! Snap! Everyone back up on the wagon and keep strong. Or at least be weak and make me feel better about my own falls to come.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Motorcyclemad View Post
Rob,

If it was needed for a project in progress and you had shopped your stash.... you're good. I can't remember what was decided re coupons. People know I don't need fabric, so I usually don't get donations or coupons. I'm downsizing, not collecting.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:44 PM

So far so good this year. The one trip into JoAnns I bought the batting I needed and nothing else. Also went through my bin of fabric for the bags I make for charity and pulled out anything unsuitable for that project and have prepped some bags from that bin also cut some strips for another charity project . The pieces that were two small for a bag is currently in a sack that I may just get rid of. I have an over abundance of small scraps so don't need to add to those bins.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I am of course back again for another year. I’m working on a “ leaders/ Enders” scrap quilt right now, and have plans for a few more scrap quilts, thinking about cutting up some of my stash into precuts and selling them . I stopped participating in the fabshophop after participating for 10+ years because I won often and I cannot Stand the thought of anything more coming into my space. I am overwhelmed. And so over the clutter and over flowing shelves.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
If it was needed for a project in progress and you had shopped your stash.... you're good. I can't remember what was decided re coupons. People know I don't need fabric, so I usually don't get donations or coupons. I'm downsizing, not collecting.
The coupons were only used for 2 of the 3 backings I needed--so very little guilt involved. I lucked out because the third one was on sale for 50%. I just had to remind myself not to go into anymore fabric stores after I found what I needed.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 AM

I am in this year. I retired over 6 years ago and had stashed fabric for over 10 years for my retirement. However, I found it hard to stop buying fabric even after retirement. Now I have a basement full of boxes and bags of fabric, batting, etc. I need to only shop my stash in 2020. So sign me up now.

This is my pledge and goal this year to make all my 'gifts' and quilts from my stash only.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:14 AM

I’ve already failed miserably. I may need an intervention. 🤦🏻‍♀️