Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 PM

Love your picks audsgirl. You've got done really nice reds.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 AM

I've got mine put in a tote and I have to stop looking at all the pretty fabric so I don't want to find more!
I had to go to the fabric store to find a purple, and I kept looking at the blacks, reds and golds.

I'm excited to get started on this - and I'm working hard to get my current project done before it starts. Guess I better get off the computer and back to the sewing machine.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 AM

Macybaby, where are you using the purple?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM

each fabric group I think "ooo, I like this group best" Because I only work from stash in the past I've pulled my own colors, but Bonnie's choices this year are spot on for what I have.
Except gray, I have a 1/3 yard of gray with black spiderweb on it. I'll have to alternate or pick up a little of that.

I've seen alternates in green, blue, purple...

First I'm going to look in my cotton shirts stash, I'd love to have enough of those to do this years colors. I doubt it though.

MacyBaby, will you be using a people powered machine?
I think I'll be using in Singer 404. Not people powered but fun to use!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:25 PM

quiltsRfun - the purple is for another project, so I had to keep reminding myself that is what I was looking for, and not colors for the mystery quilt.

Kalamaquilts, I won't be using a treadle for piecing, at least not to start. Once the new building is done and the longarm moved, I plan on setting up the Davis Vertical feed and see how that works for binding. I also want to get the two spool up and running.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
there are lots of finished photos in this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...55071-216.html, but there's over 200 pages to look through (i suggest starting at the end)
thank you!!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 AM

I'm planning on doing mine in 30's reds and yellows with Kona black and Snow White for my neutral. Will probably use blues for BH's grey.

Should be fun!!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM

I HATE the original color combination - it just doesn't seem to have enough color, and the 5-1/2 yards of neutral....makes me wonder what the final product will look like, so I'm going to wait to see the final product then decide if I want to invest in the fabric. I still haven't finished half of Grand Illusion!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
quiltsRfun - the purple is for another project, so I had to keep reminding myself that is what I was looking for, and not colors for the mystery quilt.

Kalamaquilts, I won't be using a treadle for piecing, at least not to start. Once the new building is done and the longarm moved, I plan on setting up the Davis Vertical feed and see how that works for binding. I also want to get the two spool up and running.
two spool fascinates me......everyone just imagine ....no bobbin....lower thread is from a spool just like upper....why oh why did this manufacturer give up?????....if there was actually only one spool of thread available you could always wind a bobbin and use it on top where you can see it !!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm still on the fence about jumping in on this years mystery. Doing a mystery quilt is still on my "to do" list. The colors are ones I could work with... I might mellow out the golds to more of an ochre and possibly changing the red to the shade of green that copper oxidizes to or the color of eggplant. The greys might need to be lighter, but still something that would stand on it's own against the neutrals. How can you choose without knowing what you are making?