Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I got an email from Whittle's Fabrics today, and was I surprised to find they are offering fat quarter bundles for the Allietaire quilt! For those who don't have enough stash fabric:
http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/shop/...-yard-bundles/
Old 11-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by playswithcolor View Post
I'm still on the fence about jumping in on this years mystery. Doing a mystery quilt is still on my "to do" list. The colors are ones I could work with... I might mellow out the golds to more of an ochre and possibly changing the red to the shade of green that copper oxidizes to or the color of eggplant. The greys might need to be lighter, but still something that would stand on it's own against the neutrals. How can you choose without knowing what you are making?
Playswithcolor, that's the mystery! Last year there was much moaning and gnashing of teeth once the quilt layout was revealed. So, if you aren't up for a mystery you may want to wait and see what it's going to look like first.

Right now, all we have to go on is the paint chips.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I got an email from Whittle's Fabrics today, and was I surprised to find they are offering fat quarter bundles for the Allietaire quilt! For those who don't have enough stash fabric:
http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/shop/...-yard-bundles/

I wondered if shops were doing that!

I'll pull my fabrics Thanksgiving week when I'm off work. I'm doing Bonnie's colors, but I think I'll go with a constant grey and a constant black. I believe I have everything i need in my stash.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 PM

My stash has yardage (that I love) of a black on black, white on cool white, and steel grey with a fine charcoal crackle, going to use these with an assortment of (+/- 8 each) reds and yellows.....that is my plan...unless.....like in some of the other mysteries there is strip piecing on papers to 'make fabric' then i'll need to dig deeper into scraps.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Finally I was able to check out the paint chips at Lowe's. They were very low on half of the colors and out of the grey. Now that I've seen them in person, this won't be the right project for the quilt I have in mind. I enjoyed seeing everyone's choices and will follow along to see how the mystery unfolds. Have fun and happy sewing to everyone who will be making the quilt! Please post lots of pictures!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 04:39 PM

I'm thinking about doing this one this year instead of just lurking. I am not overly fond of scrappy if I do, I'll use one fabric for each color. I've looked through the stash and these are the fabrics I would do it in. The dark blue I was trying to decide between the "intended or not intended" side of the fabric. I also am thinking about either getting a different black or maybe making this black different before it starts. I would be doing a modified color scheme
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0534.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=JeanieG;7369163]Here you go ibex - this site has photos of a lot of Bonnie's quilts.

https://www.pinterest.com/bonniekhun...om-my-designs/[/QUOT

What an amazing bunch of quilts that BH helped inspire. I better try this mystery quilt adventure. Thank you for this link!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

Here's what I pulled from stash that matched the paint chips... Plus I have plenty of blacks and neutrals. Looks like I'm only going to need to shop for a gray, and maybe a couple more golds just to have more variety.

So excited to get clue 1!
Attached Thumbnails dsc02111.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 AM

So when the BH instructions say, "My range goes from 7006-8 Divine Cream (with some whites included) to 7005-10 Italian Ice just because it sounded good!" that means all the numbers between those two chips are included, right?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 AM

Yes and no, I think Bonnie just means that most neutrals will work except for the "antiquey" ones that don't have enough contrast with the golds. Sometimes she chooses colors with names that reference the mystery quilt theme just for fun, not because it is the one and only best color. Hence Italian Ice... Look at the fabrics in her samples, you can see the range she has in mind.