Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Thanks for posting this, sewbizgirl. I'm going to try and think outside the box for the clue #2 neutrals.
I think the neutrals you have useds so far are wonderful!

This mystery quilt is a great opportunity to stretch yourself, as far as understanding 'scrappy'.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:23 PM

So here's what I'm thinking: We have these four matched units, probably in a block together, which means there is a square to fill in the middle. But I don't think we will have neutrals there, because we already chose matched neutrals for the block. So it has to be the black and/or the gold, right? (I know -- it's a mystery . . . but it's hard not to speculate.)
Old 12-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Fun to see everyone's progress! Looking good!

Periwink~ Love your colors!!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:47 PM

Welcome, PeriWink! Your colors are very pretty and I just love the happy print in your neutrals!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by AmyBible View Post

Since I have always been one to shake the wrapped present to figure out what's inside...I am was trying to figure out how the Sleepy Hollow geese will be used. I remembered seeing a similar block -- complete with the rectangle sewed to the bottom -- on an old Simply Quilts episode so I checked the video tape (yes, I have several VHS tapes of Simply Quilts).... I will be anxious to see if that's the direction this Mystery takes.
Care to share your "speculation"? I love seeing what everyone thinks this might turn out like!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:10 PM

guessing since we made 20 sets these will go in 20 blocks, which isn't enough to make the size she is aiming for.
If you look at my mystery images above you will see we will probably have another 20-30 different blocks. When the two are put together yet another block will be formed

But it is a mystery, and one key is will the quilt blocks be on point, which ads another dimension! And have we perhaps done nothing yet but make part of a border? or just sashing bits.

It is a mystery!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
guessing since we made 20 sets these will go in 20 blocks, which isn't enough to make the size she is aiming for.
If you look at my mystery images above you will see we will probably have another 20-30 different blocks. When the two are put together yet another block will be formed

But it is a mystery, and one key is will the quilt blocks be on point, which ads another dimension! And have we perhaps done nothing yet but make part of a border? or just sashing bits.

It is a mystery!
Oh, good call Kalama - yeah probably the 20 sets will make 20 blocks that will alternate. Someone a while ago thought the HST in Clue 1 would be for the border. That's probably right too.

Don't you just love trying to solve the mystery before the reveal?!?!

You are probably right too Joe'sMom... but I'll bet the center of the Sleepy Hollow Geese will be more complicated than just a block.

Sorry, baronreads but I think I should reveal what I think the block will be. If I am right I don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone else. But AFTER Bonnie reveals the block I'll post a picture of what I think it will be.... right or wrong.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Well, I'm done with clue #2. Still haven't cut into the yardage I bought for this mystery except the grey. Will definitely have to cut into the gold when we get to that, but so far I've been working out of the scrap bins. Kind of like the Post Office....if it fits, it ships, but in this case, if I can make it work, I will. This is a first for me, I usually do controlled scrappy.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Clue 2 is done. I had to remake 5 of the blocks because I inadvertently used a gray that I had on the cutting table from making mug rugs instead of the constant gray. They were very similar fabrics but I wanted it to be as Bonnie suggested. I have a hard time thinking outside the box and come up with my own color choices. Lol
Old 12-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Thank You everyone for your suggestions on my color choices. I have decided to cut the black 2" squares but to wait a while, to see how everything joins up. I'll keep that navy handy to replace the black if necessary.
AmyBible I so glad to see that others talk to their quilting besides me, I have been calling the headless geese Christmas geese because with out heads their goose is "cooked", my grandparents always had a goose for Christmas dinner.