Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 AM

I am so looking forward to our first clue!! I've pulled from my stash (my favorite MQ was pulled completely from stash and had so much variety, I LOVE it!) but don't think I'm quite happy with my gray. I may need to do a little bit of shopping.

I challenged myself that I couldn't do this year's mystery unless I finished the top from last year. So I went on retreat and am almost done putting the top together for GI. Those chevrons stopped me in my tracks last year-haha. I've been mulling it over in my mind since last year how to do my setting. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do the setting like Bonnie or add some sashing like JeanieG. I've finally made a decision and will be adding a little sashing today and I'll be ready for Friday!!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Cindy - you will be so happy to finally have it finished. Mine is in line to be quilted next, I'malmost finished quilting Celtic Solstice.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:42 PM

You finishers are awesome! I should bind my easy street...yes easy street 2012 by Friday! Eeek!!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:52 PM

OMG! JeanieG, this is GORGEOUS!! Be still my heart! So, so COOL! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:57 PM

Last year was my first MQ and it was also my first jump back into quilting. Mine is still a flimsy also, but I had a lot of fun! I have my fabric for this year but was wondering about the neutrals. I haven't chosen mine yet, I'm hoping I can use some of my precut strips, but won't know until it starts. Anyone else holding off on choosing fabric to use scraps?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
Last year was my first MQ and it was also my first jump back into quilting. Mine is still a flimsy also, but I had a lot of fun! I have my fabric for this year but was wondering about the neutrals. I haven't chosen mine yet, I'm hoping I can use some of my precut strips, but won't know until it starts. Anyone else holding off on choosing fabric to use scraps?
I have pulled my fabric but have also included 2 1/2 and 2" strips that have been left over from previous projects. I figure once we get cutting instructions I can decide if they will fit in. Would love to be able to use them. Won't be long now!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Yup, you bet I will use all the scraps I can before cutting into the bigger fabric. Just collect all your scraps of the right colors into their respective piles and hope for the best. Her pieces are usually small... 2 or 2.5" pieces.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:41 PM

Once she says what size strips we need, I pull the bins with those size strips out and pull what I can use from them first before cutting my other fabric. I also found I sometimes cut too many strips of one fabric, so I only cut one strip from each one to begin with, if I need more, I go back and will cut additional strips. I hope that makes sense.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:51 AM

Bonnie Hunter seems to have mastered the art of making quilts dance! The more dazzle that the quilt has, the better for me. I am so looking forward to this year's mystery quilt. I hope it is a true dazzler/moving/dancing quilt! Jeanie, thank you for posting that gorgeous quilt!!
Old 11-22-2015, 06:03 AM

I remember last year Bonnie said the quilt would be easier (than the year before), and it does seem less intricate than some of her others, so I'm expecting this year's will be somewhat more difficult and have smaller pieces than last year's. Plus, last year we only used one special ruler, this year two.