Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 AM

My question is how do you jump in and make a quilt not knowing if you're going to like the process or the finished quilt? I'd have to know what I was buying all the fabric for.
SVAL
Old 11-17-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
My question is how do you jump in and make a quilt not knowing if you're going to like the process or the finished quilt? I'd have to know what I was buying all the fabric for.
SVAL
Bonnie talked about this on her last quilt cam. She suggested doing 1/2 or 1/4 of the blocks or only making a few of each so you can follow along. Then decide after the reveal if you want to do the whole quilt.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 AM

SVAL, it's a leap of faith....that's what makes it fun. I'm always a bit anxious with her mysteries because the colors are waaayyyy out of my comfort zone (usually). So I tweak the colors a little bit in shade or tone and go for it. I'm typically a matchy-matchy quilter so making a scrap quilt is challenging for me, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with the scrappy process (even if most of my scrap quilts are considered by my friends to be "controlled" scrappies...LOL).

Bonnie's designs are always very interesting with secondary blocks/designs so they turn out to be beautiful quilts. Since I can usually make most of the quilt with fabric I already have on hand, the expense for new fabric isn't an issue for me. If I had to buy all the fabric for the mystery quilt at today's prices, I might reconsider and wait until the reveal to make the quilt or do as she suggested and only make a portion of each clue until I can see how it will look when finished.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:57 AM

I don't worry about it because I give away most of the quilts I make, and so far I've not had one that I did not eventually find the right person/occasion for the gift.

I don't go shopping on Black Friday - so now I have something exciting to look forward too!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Bonnie talked about this on her last quilt cam. She suggested doing 1/2 or 1/4 of the blocks or only making a few of each so you can follow along. Then decide after the reveal if you want to do the whole quilt.
I keep hoping my back will recover enough by clue time, that I could try making a few of each unit as the clues come out. That really would be a good approach for someone who is leery of committing to an unknown quilt.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:38 AM

another thing she mentioned in the video chat is that she will always tell us what colors are going to be next to whatever we are working on so we can see for ourselves if our fabrics work well together. This will be my first scrappy. I am gathering half yards from the discounted fabrics at the stores around me to bulk up what I don't have on hand.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 AM

she mentioned some of that already.....like the neutrals should not blend into the yellows and the gray has to stand out from the black and the yellows....always good to go back and read her suggestions after picking some fabrics...that is when I see her comments in a fresh light.....that may just be me, and I really like reading about the inspiration for the mystery.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
she mentioned some of that already.....like the neutrals should not blend into the yellows and the gray has to stand out from the black and the yellows....always good to go back and read her suggestions after picking some fabrics...that is when I see her comments in a fresh light.....that may just be me, and I really like reading about the inspiration for the mystery.

Thanks for the reminder Sunliten, I am sure it will make people go back to their picked fabrics and make sure that their colors work in this manner!
Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 PM

Before I pulled fabrics, I had to use that fun as a carrot on a stick to clean up my cutting table. I've been doing the Millefiori quilt along http://www.katjasquiltshoppe.com/the...uilt-along.htm
which needs a lot of fabrics, but I wanted to use those fabrics 2 or 3 times in the quilt for a little bit of continuity. What a mess. Fun quilt but I've had enough of rosettes to last a life time!

Yippee! my cutting table and chair full of fabrics are ALL gone. And I tidied up my stash too, that only took about 4 hours as I ruler folded it all about 6 years ago. I feel like superwoman

I'm all ready for next Friday, bring it on!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
another thing she mentioned in the video chat is that she will always tell us what colors are going to be next to whatever we are working on so we can see for ourselves if our fabrics work well together. This will be my first scrappy. I am gathering half yards from the discounted fabrics at the stores around me to bulk up what I don't have on hand.
I just watch the latest quilt cam. I don't remember her saying anything like this, it goes entirely against the idea of a mystery. People do ask for that every year though and she always says "it is a mystery"