Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 AM

As far as the mystery goes, it is the whole point and fun. There is a big element of trust, and a bigger element of just letting go of the destination and enjoying the journey. BH has enough previous mysteries you can look at previous ones to get a basic idea, small pieces, very scrappy, secondary patterns, usually intercontecting patterns, overall busy look to the quilts.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM

I am a mystery quilt junky! I started a few years ago with a McCalls mq. Then I saw the ones on this board. For 2 years I pretty much only made mq's. I just love them. Last year was my first one with Bonnie. I loved the process and learned so much. I realize mq's are not for everyone. Nothing is. That's what makes the world an interesting place. How boring if we all did and liked the same exact things.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:51 PM

Oh, good !!! the mystery part is what I love.....the leap from the known to the what comes next...and there is always some part that is sewn, in a new way that just works better, and invariably imparts just perfect knowledge gained for one of the next piecing project on the bucket list. The fact that many hundreds of people all over the earth are working on the same thing ....is just tooooo much fun!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:28 PM

I found a black to use instead of the solid black I had in my stash, it will be my only "non stash" fabric. The blue batik fabric will be my red, and the horses my gold or visa versa, haven't made up my mind yet.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0013.jpg  
Old 11-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
The fact that many hundreds of people all over the earth are working on the same thing ....is just tooooo much fun!
I agree. And I love seeing what color choices others have made. I go with Bonnie's suggestions for the most part, maybe just changing the hue or saturation a bit. Even when I know the pattern results in advance, I have a hard time changing colors. But I've seen some pretty spectacular results from the brave souls who make their own color choices.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I agree. And I love seeing what color choices others have made. I go with Bonnie's suggestions for the most part, maybe just changing the hue or saturation a bit. Even when I know the pattern results in advance, I have a hard time changing colors. But I've seen some pretty spectacular results from the brave souls who make their own color choices.
And I have seen some really awful results from those who chose to "go their own way"! LOL
Old 11-19-2015, 06:43 AM

I think no matter what the results, there will always be someone that will love the quilt. So I figure if I end up with something I don't personally care for, it won't take long before I can find a home for the quilt.

And to be honest - there weren't very many quilts that really appealed to me with the last mystery, no matter what colors were picked. But that is half the fun of the mystery - going out on a limb and accepting the risks of the challenge!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 AM

Here are the ones I've pulled--probably too many, but I can decide as I'm working which work best. I'm using both a constant black and a constant grey.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1182.jpg  
Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 AM

Last year, I just couldn't get myself to embrace the colors that Bonnie suggested. I have always wanted to do an Amish-colored quilt, and that is exactly what I did, and I was pleased with the result.

This year, I really like the colors, but I am also having difficulty embracing them again, for some unknown reason. I considered switching the blacks and neutrals because I love dark, bold quilts. On the other hand, I have always wanted to do a red and white quilt, and I am pondering making Allietare in four deeply contrasting values of red. I know Bonnie's quilts do tend to be busy, and maybe the cohesion of all reds will tone down the busyness somewhat.

Oh, my fickle heart.....Must decide soon!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Here are the ones I've pulled--probably too many, but I can decide as I'm working which work best. I'm using both a constant black and a constant grey.
I would pull the light w/ the yellow, just over halfway down the stack, and the last light so close to the grey color. And maybe the plumb red, just b/c it is so different and the only one.