Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
My question is how do you jump in and make a quilt not knowing if you're going to like the process or the finished quilt? I'd have to know what I was buying all the fabric for.
SVAL
It doesn't sound like mystery quilts are your 'thing'. If you have to know everything up front you should wait until the quilt is totally revealed. There is always time-- several months-- to get all the steps to the pattern for free before she takes it off the website and publishes it.

Some of us just love the mystery. Last year a few people ruined all the fun by complaining endlessly once the quilt was revealed and they didn't like it. I wish they had just waited to see the quilt before they started. There were some horrible sour grapes. If you can't roll with it, please just wait to decide if you want to do it when you see what it's going to look like.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
It doesn't sound like mystery quilts are your 'thing'. If you have to know everything up front you should wait until the quilt is totally revealed. There is always time-- several months-- to get all the steps to the pattern for free before she takes it off the website and publishes it.

Some of us just love the mystery. Last year a few people ruined all the fun by complaining endlessly once the quilt was revealed and they didn't like it. I wish they had just waited to see the quilt before they started. There were some horrible sour grapes. If you can't roll with it, please just wait to decide if you want to do it when you see what it's going to look like.
sewbizgirl, I agree with you about the sour grapes last year. Last year was my first BH MQ and I loved all that I learned while doing the MQ. I wasn't crazy about it when I first had the top done, but now that it is quilted, I love it. I am so looking forward to doing the MQ again this year. Most of the time I just ignore the "sour grape" comments. Not everything is for everyone! I probably would not have done the MQ if I had seen it in a quilt shop as a pattern. But, all that I learned by doing it in small steps is amazing. Doing the MQ is a real learning experience and makes you think and do outside your normal box. Looking forward to my MQ #2.
S
Old 11-17-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I just watch the latest quilt cam. I don't remember her saying anything like this, it goes entirely against the idea of a mystery. People do ask for that every year though and she always says "it is a mystery"
Just to clarify, at minute 32 when she discusses the paint chips and how to choose appropriate colors even if you don't have access to the Lowe's cards is when it came up. "...I want you to be able to see the contrast in the blocks... I do tell you in the instructions when you're choosing your gold make sure that your gray shows up well against it....." there's a bunch more that she mentions. As a first timer, for me, that gave me the confidence I needed to tackle this project. You have done them before so her "next to" colors may not be done with the frequency that I am expecting. I don't want to mislead anyone. I have never done one of these mystery quilts.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Last year's was my first... Grand Illusion. It was a lot of fun but I still haven't quilted my finished top! Shame on me... I'm excited about this year's quilt. It is fun to do the whole process, even if you aren't in love with the finished quilt. I give a lot of quilts to charity so there's always a use for every quilt... and someone who will love it.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:20 PM

wow looks like a lot of ladies ready with beautiful fabrics on here,let,s see how this mystery goes for us ,im using scraps from fabrics that i have already what ever i find to match the same colors choices from Bonnie colors
Old 11-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
My question is how do you jump in and make a quilt not knowing if you're going to like the process or the finished quilt? I'd have to know what I was buying all the fabric for.
SVAL
I did it last year and I decided that mystery quilts aren't really for me. I prefer to know where I'm going. Since last year's mystery with Bonnie, I've noticed quite a few mystery quilts on line. I've been tempted, but not seriously.

Since I have a list in my head and ideas on my computer enough to last me a lifetime, I'm not just "waiting for Black Friday" to enjoy myself in my sewing room. I think it worked opposite for me-- last year by the time I saw everyone's fabric choices (on FB and maybe here), every step some people put up their finished pieces, and then all the similar finished tops, I was pretty sick of the pattern and wished I'd not done it, too. Plus, I wans't really crazy about last year's pattern/end result.
Warning: slightly negative opinion - avoid if you don't like anyone with a different opinion -
However, I do love the colors for this year's...just get tired of everyone showing all their fabrics and asking, "Is this ok?" I'm amazed at everyone's lack of self-confidence. Since no one really knows what it looks like, no can really answer "Is this ok?" type of questions with knowledge. Mostly I just skip those posts and the FB group completely right now.

Back to "sval" I think if money is an issue, and you are worried about not knowing if you are going to like it, that waiting until the reveal is the best thing for you. Save the steps - she's only leaving them up until Feb. 1 this year, I believe - so get them while they are free and decide later if you want to make it or not. There are hundreds, no, thousands of free patterns on line for your use - there is no shame in not doing this one.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:36 AM

I really recommend that everyone go back and re-read the introduction to the mystery especially the comments about the constant Gray and about the neutrals and why she will NOT be using some of the ones she initially 'pulled' from stash.
It seems to me that this thread is drifting pretty far before the first clue...........makes me sad, because mysteries are so much fun running along side with the bucket list quilts we are all doing.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I love seeing everyone's fabrics and steps. When I've had enough of it I will just stop looking. Right now there is just a lot of excitement and anticipation building.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:36 AM

I also love seeing everyone's fabrics, and their completed units! It was one of my favorite parts of doing the mystery last year (which was my first mystery quilt and my first Bonnie Hunter quilt).
Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 AM

I agree seeing everyone's steps, and fabric choice / placement is the best part. I also love to see the end when people do alternative layouts, or creative borders, or whatever to make it unique and personal.