Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM

I am using the Easy Angle ruler, slow going. This will be more HST than I have ever made before, and certainly the smallest. But I am in this for the learning experience!!!
Old 11-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am using the Easy Angle ruler, slow going. This will be more HST than I have ever made before, and certainly the smallest. But I am in this for the learning experience!!!
Keep at it, Jeanne. Once you get going it's not so bad. I have all mine cut and am resting my back same as baronreads.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 PM

Row, row, row your boat...yep I feel like I need a song to keep me going with these HSTs. I used 2.5" squares to make my HSTs. Sew, sew, cut, cut, press, press, trim, trim. Repeat.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
Row, row, row your boat...yep I feel like I need a song to keep me going with these HSTs. I used 2.5" squares to make my HSTs. Sew, sew, cut, cut, press, press, trim, trim. Repeat.
I agree, I work a while on them and take a FB and QB break, then work some more. This is going to be a real test for me, I don't do quilts w/ the same block over and over and over, b/c I get bored and don't finish them. I'm hoping all the excitement of not knowing and everyone else doing it will keep me going on this one.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Are you stacking two or three pairs of strips and cutting them all together? I found it went a lot faster when I did that last year.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM

I'm only doing a little over 1/2 clues so I end up with a smaller quilt (and because I don't really have enough yardage for full size & want to only use my stash).
Since I decided on just using off-white/creams as my neutral rather than bright whites I know I won't have enough. I was VERY happy the first clue was HST! I was able to use strips and squares from my scrap bins so only had to cut 2 strips from my "yardage." I did most of them with the Easy Angler and only 2 of them were too wrong to use.
My first Bonnie Mystery - I've done several One Day Mysteries but this is SO much less stressful - for me anyway. I always was rushing to be the first one finished. Now I feel I have a whole week I can take my time. A very enjoyable Saturday afternoon spent watching Star Trek and sewing! Hope all the Clues are as easy going.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536655[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clue-1-4-.jpg  
Old 11-28-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Are you stacking two or three pairs of strips and cutting them all together? I found it went a lot faster when I did that last year.
NO--what a great suggestion!! I have done three strips but will stack the next ones! Thanks!! See I am learning something already!!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:14 PM

I'm thinking of eliminating a couple of my neutrals. I converted the photo to B/W to get a better look. The ones in question are: the lone patch at the bottom - not enough contrast; the one in the middle with the curlyques - too white; and the one on the far right with paw prints- too bold and I just don't like it. So far I've only made one of each so it's no big loss if I change my mind. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-28-2015, 08:17 PM

I have done Bonnie's mystery quilts before but no way am I going to make (294) 2 inch HST. Have fun you all!!!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by GeeGee View Post
I have done Bonnie's mystery quilts before but no way am I going to make (294) 2 inch HST. Have fun you all!!!
LOL! Come on GeeGee! Join in the fun. Half?