Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-28-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I'm thinking of eliminating a couple of my neutrals. I converted the photo to B/W to get a better look. The ones in question are: the lone patch at the bottom - not enough contrast; the one in the middle with the curlyques - too white; and the one on the far right with paw prints- too bold and I just don't like it. So far I've only made one of each so it's no big loss if I change my mind. What do you think?
I agree w/ both choises, one doesn't have enough contrast the other the black print is too black / bold
Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking of eliminating a couple of my neutrals. I converted the photo to B/W to get a better look. The ones in question are: the lone patch at the bottom - not enough contrast; the one in the middle with the curlyques - too white; and the one on the far right with paw prints- too bold and I just don't like it. So far I've only made one of each so it's no big loss if I change my mind. What do you think?
I see plenty of contrast between your gray and all of your neutrals. And there aren't any neutral prints that need to be ditched. The ones that bug you now will be the very ones that give your quilt interest and life. Don't try to make it too 'same'ish... she said to use a large variety and hers are even more varied than yours! I'd keep going with what you've got.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I see plenty of contrast between your gray and all of your neutrals. And there aren't any neutral prints that need to be ditched. The ones that bug you now will be the very ones that give your quilt interest and life. Don't try to make it too 'same'ish... she said to use a large variety and hers are even more varied than yours! I'd keep going with what you've got.
You've got me thinking about a scrappy I made a while back. As I was putting it together I questioned the yellow patches, but kept going. After it was done the yellows made it sparkle. Maybe I could add a couple more with brighter white backgrounds. Then it wouldn't be the lone standout. I have some that I didn't include. Took another look at Bonnie's and she has some that look really white.

I like to use what I call the Scarlet O'Hara or Rhett Butler method for making decisions. This time it's Scarlett - "I'll think about it tomorrow." We'll see how I feel about it in the morning. (I'm tired, but not tired enough to go with Rhett's "Frankly my dear. . . ")

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-28-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 PM

I was ready to agree with you, but sewbizgirl has more experience with scrappy, and what she said rings true to me. There's a whole big quilt coming, with lots of black and contrast. And you can always make a final decision when you have more context with which to judge.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Thanks sewbizgirl and joe's mom. I'll sleep on it.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I was ready to agree with you, but sewbizgirl has more experience with scrappy, and what she said rings true to me. There's a whole big quilt coming, with lots of black and contrast. And you can always make a final decision when you have more context with which to judge.
My thoughts exactly! I agreed at first about eliminating those "outliers" but maybe you shouldn't. I will say my neutrals are all very tame and light with no signifant prints in them. Maybe mine will be boring. Will just have to wait and see!
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
Row, row, row your boat...yep I feel like I need a song to keep me going with these HSTs. I used 2.5" squares to make my HSTs. Sew, sew, cut, cut, press, press, trim, trim. Repeat.
That's what I did also. I went through my 2.5" square drawer & pulled what I needed. Didn't have to touch any yardage except the grey. I'm going to try & continue using my scrap bins throughout the mystery as much as possible.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I cut a few strips yesterday, but I could feel it twanging my back, and back is very sore today, so I will wait until later in the week to try again. It will be interesting to see how some of the alternate colorways pan out. I really like the quiet look of the neutral and gray units.
I know, my back is in bad shape today. I sat way too long yesterday working on this. I'm going to make sure I stretch and take a warm epsom salts bath today.

On the bright side, I am about 2/3 of the way done with my HSTs! My personal goal for myself this mystery is to become more accurate with my sizes/seam allowance. I did the test as Bonnie suggested to make sure my units are the correct size and am trimming the up. But, I'll admit, by the time I was sewing the last 100 together all I could think was "just get it done, just get it done!!" so we'll see today when I trim those up if I'm accurate.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:09 AM

[QUOTE=Terry in the ADK;7388006]If you have a loc-bloc half-square ruler....here's your opportunity to use it. I have a 6 and 2 inch one and it will be getting lots of use for squaring up!....think I will also cut my strips a bit bigger because as long as i am squaring QUOTE]

running a bit behind ... I just ordered a set of Block-loc rulers from CT tool sale today and will probably do the same. I will pick up my color cards from Lowe's this morning so I can get my grey and neutral HSTs started.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I agree w/ both choices, one doesn't have enough contrast the other the black print is too black / bold
I agree. The image of Bonnie's fabric pulls, the first thing I noticed is how controlled/on the light side her neutrals were. Normally she uses from white to papersack brown, and lots of prints.

I'm GLAD to get rid of the white on whites from back when I made my Dear Jane in the late 90's. My idea of neutrals now is in a whole new planet

I have 180 units made I think.