Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 PM

I finished w/ clue 1. My grey is all one fabric, but the pieces being so small varies the color, hope it will read "consistent" enough not to mess up the patterning.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0033.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Ladies look at this ingenious method of hst assembly. I had not heard about it until a few minutes ago

http://jmday.com/?p=594
Just keep in mind this method puts all the edges bias. With well starched fabric and miniamial handling it can be done, but if these all go in the border that is a lot of stress on bias edges.

I think I'm finished sewing, just have the last 3 sets to press and de-ear.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Just keep in mind this method puts all the edges bias. With well starched fabric and miniamial handling it can be done, but if these all go in the border that is a lot of stress on bias edges.

I think I'm finished sewing, just have the last 3 sets to press and de-ear.
Someone else pointed that out on FB I did M8 all straight grain edges.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
Thanks Jeanne! I knew​ someone would know!

With that being said, if you're going "scrappy" do you add in neutrals as you go? Or do you start with the specific number you're using from the beginning and for each step use a mix of those? Does that make sense? I'm just thinking that some of the scraps I'm using to start I may run out of before I'm done with neutrals....
i am starting out with 7 neutrals and used a strip or two from all of them in this first batch. I am going to try to continue spreading them out as we go, but do have a couple of more in reserve to use as filler if needed. So I am just going to continue to spread mine out to try to have a consistent variety as we go. Add in new ones early on if needed. But I think we can help even out any late added fabrics by careful placement in the blocks to try to balance them out. But keep in mind this is my first mystery quilt so I am no expert!!!!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Love your turquoise AmyBible! What are your other colors?
Thanks Vagabond! It looks lighter than it really is... I'd call it more of a Wedgwood blue than turquoise though. It's my sub for "constant grey" but I kept all the other colors the same... gold/red/black/cream.... I wanted to use grey but just don't have enough - but I like all my colors together so I hope they'll look good when it's finished!
Old 11-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks Jeanne! I knew​ someone would know!

With that being said, if you're going "scrappy" do you add in neutrals as you go? Or do you start with the specific number you're using from the beginning and for each step use a mix of those? Does that make sense? I'm just thinking that some of the scraps I'm using to start I may run out of before I'm done with neutrals....
I try to use as many as I have for each clue along the way so that they're spread out in the quilt (and always hoping I've gathered more than enough of that color!). If I start thinking that I'm going to run out I immediately get more so that I can distribute the new one(s) as much as possible beginning from whatever clue I'm on (when I start worrying about running out) until the end.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:02 PM

I used 20 neutrals, and did an estimated guess on what I'd need cutting strips, ended up with 303 squares.

I cut the strips, then paired them up and stacked them, then lined up three "rows" and used my JT shape cutter to get the diagonals - then I used the EZ triangle to cut the straights on each row separately. I was getting tired of picking it up and moving it, then remembered the little handles I had tucked in with my rotory cutter stuff.

I'll trim them after supper. I have a tendency to go a bit too scanty on my seams, so some are right on 2", and some a hair larger. At least that's an easy thing to deal with.

I've never used the JT Shape Cutter before, but I recently read about what others do with theirs and figured it was time to give it a try.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:04 PM

I think people do it both ways. I'm following the Quiltville Open Studio Facebook page, and some people have specifically said that they used certain fat quartets for this first clue, so those won't appear anywhere else in the quilt. In last year's mystery, I had the urge to use one neutral for all of the sashing (clue #3) that I hadn't used for clues #1 and #2, but I chickened out. I still wonder what it would have looked like.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Doing the happy dance. Didn't think I would be able to start until next week and so happy to have found time to get clue 1 done. The colors are off, the lights are whites and off whites and grey. Kassaundra I love your substitute for grey and Cathy your blue is also very pretty.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536696[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails allietare-clue-1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Got them trimmed--grey/neutral 2" HSTs:
Love knife, fork, and spoon! I have it in my HST, too.