Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-04-2016, 06:06 AM

PeriWink, thanks! It looks a lot better the right way, lol.

Kassaundra, I'm not intending the star blocks to have white centers. I have a few ideas in my head about the block centers, and will start experimenting as soon as I'm done with the clue #5 HST units. Of course, I'll also try it with the solid centers -- maybe I will love it.

Thanks, sewbizgirl. I don't think I've ever had as much fun in quilting as I'm having right now working with these units. What a cool and wonderful quilt this is! I'm really getting into these neutrals -- I think I'm a convert to the Bonnie neutral concept. The more you put up, the more balanced it looks. So glad I let loose!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 AM

I wonder if our quilting friend in Ecuador will fussy cut the chickens in her yellow fabric to use for the centers?

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 01-04-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:41 AM

Joe'smom,

There is a blogger who has made many of her centers black. I think it looks very interesting. I hope it is okay to post the link here. http://susansquiltcreations.blogspot...ocks-made.html
Old 01-04-2016, 07:59 AM

Thanks, Pagzz! I don't think I'll go with black, as I can't see my constant black as block centers, and I think it might be strange to bring another black in when there's just a single black throughout the quilt.

Did you decide to paper piece clue #4? How is that going?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Waltonalice,
Thank you for your kind words. Timmy was sad that nobody else said anything about his work. No matter, over on the BH site he has so many likes that he is doing his happy kitty dance.
Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
JeanneS, I love your blocks together, especially the wide variety of blacks. Each one fits in perfectly, despite the fact that they really have different "values."Sandra-P, your photo is especially fine, first because of the gorgeous kitty, but also because it clearly shows the glory of laying the blocks on the diagonal. When I first looked at your photo, I "saw" the 4 blocks of four meeting in the center and it looked easy to understand. Then I tilted my head and that same group looked much more complicated, as if they floated in the center.
I think that this quilt was very well thought out, with so many of the blocks using consistent fabrics. It would probably have been beautiful if it were done totally scrappy, but the blocks that everyone has shown really stand out and are very forceful in part because of the consistency of fabrics.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 AM

yes. paperpiecing really helped me with clue 4. I am not good with flippy corners. I need to keep trying.

I have also seen some people string piecing the centers in gold and red.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:32 PM

I have the alternate squares together and am finally starting the stars. I'm amazed by all of you that have the whole top done already! I had to make a trip to the fabric store for more gold and have to futz around with some of what I had for star centers. I took out one fabric with stripes, and another that was too close to a solid and stood out like a sore thumb. I added in more of the brights to try and balance things since my golds are pretty dark to brown overall.

I can't wait to get to the part where I can arrange it all and see how it's going to look!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0229-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0230-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post

Thanks, sewbizgirl. I don't think I've ever had as much fun in quilting as I'm having right now working with these units. What a cool and wonderful quilt this is! I'm really getting into these neutrals -- I think I'm a convert to the Bonnie neutral concept. The more you put up, the more balanced it looks. So glad I let loose!
I'm glad you tried letting loose, too. You made a few comments during the process that made me wonder if you were going to chicken out... but I believed in you. The more you put up, the more balanced it looks. EXACTLY. You can't judge by one block. And then when it's all quilted and done it will be the most fun quilt, because there's so much "stuff" in there to find. Overall, you see the pattern (the grand scheme) but up close you see all the little "things".
Old 01-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Am I crazy or what? I'm not even done yet and I'm already thinking about making another one in other colors! This one is just TO DIE FOR (from Quiltville's Monday link-up):
http://www.vickisfabriccreations.blo...-stuffing.html
If it's small, click on it to make it bigger.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Everyone's progress is looking great! This is my progress so far and am taking a break until tomorrow I am so pleased with this pattern and do love Vickisfabriccreations done in blues and purples. My niece would love it in those colors but I won't be the one making it, lol.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails allietare-.jpg