Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-03-2016, 04:52 PM

I am suppose to be finishing trimming the pieces, but for my sanity I decided to put few squares and triangles together here is a pic. They aren't joined yet, I am going to QAYG so that won't happen for a while.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0052.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 05:27 PM

I'm loving your 'gray' in there, Kassaundra. Very nice!

I had to give my afternoon to taking down the tree. Heading back into the sewing room now -- still working on clue #5.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Thank you all who answered - perhaps I overthink! Allietare is just gorgeous and I'm so glad to join in the fun.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
I'm taking it slowly but I've got seven blocks finished. I'm doing the centers of the non-star blocks as square in a square with the inner square in a turquoise blue and the outer in reds. Also doing the 18 birds in the air units that are used in the border with turquoise squares in place of the black squares. I wanted to add the blue in and this seems to be working. Otherwise I'm doing the original colors.
Oooh, I can't wait til you show us a picture!

I've got about 11 blocks together... some of each kind but more gold stars than the red. I also did one setting triangle unit just to see how it would work. I'm LOVING this quilt!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 PM

Loving everyone's progress photos. This is such a beautiful quilt design no matter what colors are being used. I wish mine was further along. I'm still finishing up clue #5 but I did lay out one of each block to see how it was going to look and I'm pleased with the result. Since I work on Friday, Saturday and Sunday each week, no sewing has been going on around here. I've also been having issues with the track lighting fixtures in my studio so my husband suggested we change out all the fixtures. Lots of "construction" work took place while I was at work this weekend and I now have long strips of LED lights on the ceiling. It's going to be amazing sewing down there with all that bright light! I'm off work the next four days so photos will be posted soon.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I am suppose to be finishing trimming the pieces, but for my sanity I decided to put few squares and triangles together here is a pic. They aren't joined yet, I am going to QAYG so that won't happen for a while.
That is looking very good Kassaundra.
I'm still back on # 4 I needed to see how my reds were going to look. I think that I just have to go ahead and do 4 or 5 blocks just to see how they are going to look..
I'm thinking that I may change the black outer border to the grey in the quilt. Hummm.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM

I got tired of pressing clue #5 units, so decided to join in the fun of block building. I'm afraid my wildly disparate neutrals are going to be kind of distracting, but they sure are fun (I kept thinking the clue #4 units looked like Batman ears). I guess what I'll do, since my wall isn't very tall (and I can't reach any higher than this with the step stool), is decide on the arrangement of my star blocks first, and then I can decide row by row what alternate blocks to put where.

I made a minor modification to clue #5 in order to soften the corners of the alternate block frame; instead of sewing a black square to the three HSTs, I made an additional set of HSTs with my black and the corresponding neutrals from the clue #2 sets. I'm also thinking of what I might do with the block centers; I'm finding the 4" solid squares in such intense colors kind of overpowering (on the other hand, I might be glad to have something overpowering my neutrals by the time I'm done, loll).
Attached Thumbnails imgp1124-copy_fotor_fotor_fotor.jpg   imgp1125-copy_fotor_fotor.jpg   imgp1123-copy_fotor_fotor.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 11:35 PM
Power Poster

Your neutrals look great, Lisa! Lots to look at....
Old 01-04-2016, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm finding the 4" solid squares in such intense colors kind of overpowering (on the other hand, I might be glad to have something overpowering my neutrals by the time I'm done, loll).
That's how I feel about my pinks. While I like pink, it isn't one of my colors. I tend to go with warm, earthy tones. I think that's why I wish I had gone with the reds and golds for this one. I still like it. I have almost 1/2 of the top together.

Joe's Mom - In pics 2 and 3 above, the last block on the right, top 4 patch...did you want it that way? BTW, your blocks look great!! I can't wait to see it finished.

Kassaundra - LOVE your colors!!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 AM

Windblown, I saw someone on the FB group use the grey like that it looked really nice.

Joesmom are you intending all your star blocks are to have white centers?

PP look forward to the pics