Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 PM

Jeanne, your top looks gorgeous! Your fabrics are really beautiful. I dread the thought of quilting this big thing. I've never sent one to a long-armer, quilting all my quilts on my home machine. It's my least favorite part of the process.

Leslie
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Jeanne, your top looks gorgeous! Your fabrics are really beautiful. I dread the thought of quilting this big thing. I've never sent one to a long-armer, quilting all my quilts on my home machine. It's my least favorite part of the process.

Leslie
leslie, I agree! I have never tried to get the hang of FMQ, so I only quilt straight or wavy lines with my walking foot. But even that would be a real chore on a quilt that big!!! Plus sandwiching this size is a bear too. I have a fabulous long armer who I will gladly pay to do this one for me!!! I have always said I am a Piecer not a Quilter!!
Interestingly, I posted a photo of my top on my Facebook page and immediately got a call from a good friend who is begging me to sell it to her when it is done! I have never sold a quilt before, but think I will let her have it for the cost of materials and the LA fee if she wants to pay that. I could always make another......
Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
FINALLY!! The blocks are sewn together! Still need to trim, add borders and send to the long armer. Much to big for me to tackle the quilting myself. I worry about mistakes on this one--they are SO EASY to do and hard to spot with all the little pieces. I like it, but think I need to take a break from it before I start to hate it!! Don't want it to become a UFO, but this was the biggest project I have ever done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539596[/ATTACH]
Looking gorgeous Jeanne. The white 'bonus square' really stands out well :-)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:32 AM

I am finished with the top and borders. Like some other people, I too had some seam problems and I just sewed over the ones that I got frustrated with. I will quilt it myself so will probably be talking to myself about why I did that while quilting it. I made my gold border an inch wider than it called for. Just glad to have done it and I had a lot of fun seeing everyone else's too.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:26 AM

SandraP, I hope you will post a photo!

Kudos to all of you who have finished your tops!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Here's my progress so far. It's not as much as I would have liked, but I'm getting there . My guess at 60% of each unit was pretty close, but I will have to cut 2 more star blocks and 6 more setting units.

I must have miscounted somewhere tho cos I only had half enough of the 4-patches, and had to cut more. The bonus there was that by then I knew the reveal, so I could control the colour placements. I sorted it out so that the gold in the 4-patch closest to the middle would all match the middle, giving the illusion of a larger centre square.

I was away for a few days when the reveal came out, but a couple of sessions had the blocks sewn. I still have to play around with the placement before sewing the rows, and it'll be sunday before I can get to that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539680[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539681[/ATTACH]

btw, SandraP, those double-headed pins you sent me have been marvellous for pinning the nesting seams - a real time saver
Attached Thumbnails overall-wee.jpg   overall-section-wee.jpg  
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Kate, Love your colors! What a nice job you have done. So glad that you like the pins. I will get a posting of mine as soon as I figure out where my pic went on my computer. :-)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:17 AM

Kate, love your alternate colors!!!! Much more peaceful looking.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Siodoch, I love yours with the green! Everyone's are turning out great!
I have finished clue 1 and 3. Hoping to work on 2 this weekend. I showed my little hst's to my DD and now she wants the quilt for her guest room. She is not a red person so looks like I will be using blue. Luckily I have a large enough piece so I don't need to buy anything.
Took my machine in to have it looked at. There are 2 circuit boards and both need replaced. Lucky for me there is a 5 year warranty on the electrical and I brought it in just under the wire. It has been acting up since the fall. Good thing I brought it in when I did! Also good that I have another machine I can use.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM

Finally, so glad I did it and already looking forward to the next one.
Attached Thumbnails mq-small-.jpg