Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
Here it is in all its scrappiest. [ATTACH=CONFIG]539539[/ATTACH]
How many rows are there in total?

Jeannie, I am finding un-nested seams as well. And it is mainly with the 4-patches. They are all pressed away from the black as Bonnie said to do so I must have misread pressing instructions on something else. I haven't decided if I want a scalloped border or not. In my mind's eye it doesn't seem to go with the quilt. But who am I to question Bonnie Hunter! LOL Four rows sewn together so far. Fun, Fun, Fun! Stopping for lunch and I need to get some fabric cut for guild tomorrow night. We are making an iron caddy.
Oh wow! Love it! Love what those scrappy neutrals are doing!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM

I'm in Oregon so West Coast time is 6 PM. I hope to be there with many of you.
Trish
Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Jeanne, looking beautiful! I'm up to the setting triangles and eyeing your work. It looks like you pressed away from the red triangle which is how I went with it. Can you tell me please which way did you press the seam where you attached it to the block? I'm finding it bulky either way I try!
Christy, I didn't know how to press them! Finally decided to press so the seam allowance was under the red triangle--worried it might show under the neutral rectangles. Seems like there was bulk and un-nested seams, I just sewed through them!!! I pressed down toward the four patch (away from the large rectangle) and up toward the red triangle (again away from the large rectangle) so the two pairs would nest when sewed together. But I don't have a clue if this was right!!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 01-07-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Jeanne, very nice!!!!! I am going to attempt to quilt myself QAYG, I found a seemingly easy enough pattern for a stylized sun I'm going to try on a scrap sandwich first, so we'll see.

I pressed away from the triangle in mine too, I think that was the way Bonnie said.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Christy, I didn't know how to press them! Finally decided to press so the seam allowance was under the red triangle--worried it might show under the neutral rectangles. Seems like there was bulk and un-nested seams, I just sewed through them!!! I pressed down toward the four patch (away from the large rectangle) and up toward the red triangle (again away from the large rectangle) so the two pairs would nest when sewed together. But I don't have a clue if this was right!!
Oh my, I am having trouble following all that! I will attach a pic of mine from the back so you can compare. I can't decide on the seam that attaches the whole works whether it should go to the block or away from it!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0254-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Oh my, I am having trouble following all that! I will attach a pic of mine from the back so you can compare. I can't decide on the seam that attaches the whole works whether it should go to the block or away from it!
i think that pressing on the setting triangles is to press away from the 4-patch in all cases, because it makes it nest nicely with the 4-patches in the next block, and is the same pressing as the full blocks with the triangle corners. My plan for the main seams joining the blocks is to always press towards the neutral/gold 4-patch. That should be the least bulk, because pressing towards the 1/2 square triangle 4-patch will be a bulky mess.

And Bonnie did say when assembling those pesky 4-patches (gold/neutral) that there just was no good way to press them, so I was expecting some non-nested seams there.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Christy, are you asking about which way to press the seam on the side of the setting triangle and the last block in the row? Once I sewed the entire row together, I pressed all the side seams to the left on even number rows and to the right on odd number rows so those block seams would nest when the rows were sewn together. So the seam that joined the side of the setting triangle and last block went both ways depending upon which row it was.
We did press our setting triangle pieces opposite of each other, you pressed away from the red triangle and I pressed toward it. But honestly, I don't think it makes much difference as nothing connects to those seams.
This is certainly one area that Bonnie needs to beef up her instructions in a commercial pattern.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Christy, are you asking about which way to press the seam on the side of the setting triangle and the last block in the row? Once I sewed the entire row together, I pressed all the side seams to the left on even number rows and to the right on odd number rows so those block seams would nest when the rows were sewn together. So the seam that joined the side of the setting triangle and last block went both ways depending upon which row it was.
We did press our setting triangle pieces opposite of each other, you pressed away from the red triangle and I pressed toward it. But honestly, I don't think it makes much difference as nothing connects to those seams.
This is certainly one area that Bonnie needs to beef up her instructions in a commercial pattern.
Ok I gotcha! I might try the next one with the seams pressed towards the red triangle and see how I like it. Then just change the other to match.

I like your idea about pressing alternating ways through the rows so they nest! That's smart idea thank you!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
i think that pressing on the setting triangles is to press away from the 4-patch in all cases, because it makes it nest nicely with the 4-patches in the next block, and is the same pressing as the full blocks with the triangle corners. My plan for the main seams joining the blocks is to always press towards the neutral/gold 4-patch. That should be the least bulk, because pressing towards the 1/2 square triangle 4-patch will be a bulky mess.

And Bonnie did say when assembling those pesky 4-patches (gold/neutral) that there just was no good way to press them, so I was expecting some non-nested seams there.
I couldn't figure out what you meant at first. Sheesh it's so complicated to explain, but I think we are all saying the same thing...press to the red. I think.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 PM

AlvaStitcher---Thanks for the kind thoughts. I finished the red blocks today, so I will try to get a photo up tomorrow. I'm starting to feel a little better.

Leslie