Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've been cutting in between baking - and discovered that I can't use many of my blacks as I don't have enough for even 8 sets. I do have several larger pieces to use. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use up more of my smaller pieces of black somewhere in the quilt.
For one set of 16 matching black half square triangles that will finish at 1 1/2", you need 32" x 2" to do the stitch and flip method; one 2" by WOF cut is more than enough. One 2" x WOF strip will yield about 30 triangles using the easy angle ruler. That's not a big piece to me, but to me everything under a fat quarter is a scrap
Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 PM

I finished step 3. Here is a sampling. I have started step 4 but I have only made 4 sets. Slow going for me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20151216_110348.jpg  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I am cutting the sets one at a time and then assembling them. Might be a waste of motion but I don't get flustered with all that cutting at once. Finished up day with 7 sets made as I found time in Lala Land (as DH calls my sewing room). Happy with my progress so far. Decided that if I trim the block after all assembled it is easier to fit the center of the Santa hats to match.

I'm doing the same thing. I got 3 sets done, but I haven't sewn the Sleepy Hollow geese together yet. I like to change positions and try to save my back. Your sets look terrific!

Leslie
Old 12-18-2015, 10:35 PM

Looking good, AlvaStitcher, Kassaundra, and Pagzz! Going to be pretty!

I've gotten very little of our new clue done. Maybe three sets of the red and black half. Cutting and sewing as I go. Wedding tonight and a birthday party tomorrow. Will just have to work when I can.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:43 AM

A question about the color of piecing thread: I have been piecing all my units with a light grey Aurifil 50 wt. thread, as I have done with a Jacob's Ladder quilt I have been working on which is scrappy and goes from light blue to tans to navy blue, but as a beginning quilter, I have yet to piece with black fabric or use black thread. Are you, or will you, folks be changing to black thread for the black units? I didn't seem to have a problem sewing my navy blue blocks with the light grey Aurifil on my JL quilt blocks, i.e., the thread did not show through the navy fabric. (I haven't posted any pictures yet on this Mystery quilt project because I need to go over how to size the photos for this Board and coordinate it with my photo software, but I will, as I am loving to see all the beautiful work you all are doing, just wish I could work as quickly as you do, but I am working slowly and ripping quickly, especially on those Santa hats, ha!
Old 12-19-2015, 02:39 AM

sorry my photo is so large. I didn't check it after I posted.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:41 AM

I'm a bit of a maverick, when machine piecing thread color has almost no concern for me. I generally will sew w/ whatever color is already in the machine.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 AM

ShirlR, I am piecing with a light taupe Gutermann 50wt thread, and use it for almost all my piecing. I do use black thread on quilts with lots of black, but since this one is such a mix, I don't bother changing threads either.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:11 AM

SheriR, I'm not changing thread either. I've got a light thread in the machine, probably should have a gray but I'm bouncing between piecing this one, completing a UFO, and a leader and ender scrappy broken dishes. A light thread goes best for most of it.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 AM

I am also using gray thread in piecing this quilt top. I just use black thread if I am sewing a lot of black fabric but I find it is miserable to un-sew!