Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I got my first set of 4 ready, but now I need to either commit to the "red" I'm using or switch fabrics.
That's looking good Kass, try standing back from it and get the over all feel for your horse fabric.
Do you understand clue #2 to mean that the red print is to be constant as well as the grey?
I got clue #1 done last night, I'm a true believer in the Quiltingandwhatnot PP triangles.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:34 AM

clue 2 surprised me. I don't think Bonnie is usually that controlled in her colour placement, saying that all 4 in a set need to use the same red & same neutral. I'm doing non-scrappy anyway so it doesn't impact me, but I thought that was interesting. Can't wait to see how she's putting these together. Have to finish some longarm projects first, before I can jump in on this clue, however.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
That's looking good Kass, try standing back from it and get the over all feel for your horse fabric.
Do you understand clue #2 to mean that the red print is to be constant as well as the grey?
I got clue #1 done last night, I'm a true believer in the Quiltingandwhatnot PP triangles.
Yes, that the fabrics were to be the same in sets of 4, but each set of 4 can be different reds from the other sets. Not sure about the horse fabric either close or at a distance, not just the jumbled colors, but I think the severed head parts also bother me.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:10 AM

Here is the look w/ a different "red" fabric. I like the calmer feel, and think BH's patterns are so busy the nearly solid colors may not be "boring" (that is what I am hoping anyway)
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0049.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Kass, Yes! I like it much better than the horse fabric. It really showcases the other fabric too.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Here is the look w/ a different "red" fabric. I like the calmer feel, and think BH's patterns are so busy the nearly solid colors may not be "boring" (that is what I am hoping anyway)
Kass I like this one better also, it contrasts with the blue easier. Which color are you using for the gold I can't remember. Now I need to get busy and this a try.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Kass I like this one better also, it contrasts with the blue easier. Which color are you using for the gold I can't remember. Now I need to get busy and this a try.
A bright robin's egg blue, so it will go w/ the yellow well.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM

I'm not actually making the quilt (although I do plan to join one of Bonnie's MQ's one of these years, this year it was not in the cards), but I am having fun figuring out which Perfect Patchwork Templates from Marti Michell work for each clue! I recently got Set A and B as well as the Drunkard's Path Mini set. So now I'm trying to figure out how to best use them in existing patterns and I love figuring out each clue as it comes out'. So I'm joining in the fun after all
Old 12-04-2015, 01:42 PM

What type of fabric marker do you folks use for marking lines, for instance diagonally across the triangles as shown in Part 2 of Bonnie's mystery? I have Fons & Porter's lead-like pencil, but in order for it to show, it seems to "pull" the fabric, which is not good diagonally across the triangle, IMHO. I also have the Chaco liner, which makes a really nice chalk line, but since Bonnie says not to stitch on the line in Part 2, it seems the chunky lines of the plastic chalk container might put the the chalk line just a hair too far from the ruler. I've tried the Chaco liner on a scrap, and it looks, in spite of it's chunky design, to put the line reasonably close to the ruler. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
I'm not actually making the quilt (although I do plan to join one of Bonnie's MQ's one of these years, this year it was not in the cards), but I am having fun figuring out which Perfect Patchwork Templates from Marti Michell work for each clue! I recently got Set A and B as well as the Drunkard's Path Mini set. So now I'm trying to figure out how to best use them in existing patterns and I love figuring out each clue as it comes out'. So I'm joining in the fun after all
you could just make one of each clue....just, you know, for the fun of it.........giggle, have whole quilts that started out that way.........giggle <<>>><<<>>>>><<<>>>>>