Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-04-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
What type of fabric marker do you folks use for marking lines, for instance diagonally across the triangles as shown in Part 2 of Bonnie's mystery? I have Fons & Porter's lead-like pencil, but in order for it to show, it seems to "pull" the fabric, which is not good diagonally across the triangle, IMHO. I also have the Chaco liner, which makes a really nice chalk line, but since Bonnie says not to stitch on the line in Part 2, it seems the chunky lines of the plastic chalk container might put the the chalk line just a hair too far from the ruler. I've tried the Chaco liner on a scrap, and it looks, in spite of it's chunky design, to put the line reasonably close to the ruler. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I am using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers so am not marking. But in the past when I did that snowball like diagonal sewing I just pressed my little squares in half diagonally then sewed right inside the pressed fold line. I hate marking lines and this worked great for me.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
What type of fabric marker do you folks use for marking lines, for instance diagonally across the triangles as shown in Part 2 of Bonnie's mystery? I have Fons & Porter's lead-like pencil, but in order for it to show, it seems to "pull" the fabric, which is not good diagonally across the triangle, IMHO. I also have the Chaco liner, which makes a really nice chalk line, but since Bonnie says not to stitch on the line in Part 2, it seems the chunky lines of the plastic chalk container might put the the chalk line just a hair too far from the ruler. I've tried the Chaco liner on a scrap, and it looks, in spite of it's chunky design, to put the line reasonably close to the ruler. Any suggestions? Thanks!
The ones I use are from Sewline. I imagine they are very similar to the F&P pencils. You might want to try to start your mark in the center and work out to the corners. Works for me. Hope it helps you too.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:23 PM

When I marked diagonal lines for HSTs, I just used a regular mechanical pencil. It didn't drag and made a nice, thin visible line.

Kassaundra, it's true that Bonnie's quilts don't require busy fabrics, because the patterns are complex in themselves. There were lots of quilts last year made from constant fabrics that read as solids, and they were beautiful. I think you will be happier with the yellow, because it will allow the pattern to emerge
Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 PM

@ShirlR: marking makes me crazy so I avoid it like the plague. I place a piece of tape on my machine going towards me, that lines up with the needle and I use that as a guide to feed the fabric = zero marking. If this is as clear as mud, I can post a picture. Let me know.

Best wishes.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
@ShirlR: marking makes me crazy so I avoid it like the plague. I place a piece of tape on my machine going towards me, that lines up with the needle and I use that as a guide to feed the fabric = zero marking. If this is as clear as mud, I can post a picture. Let me know.

Best wishes.
I do this also. So much nicer than drawing all those lines. However, if I do draw the lines, I use a fine point Sharpie. It will be hidden in the seam allowance anyway. To help with the fabric pulling when you draw your line, put your fabric on a piece of sandpaper. Then when you draw the line, the fabric stays stuck to the sandpaper. I got a 79 cent linoleum square from the hardware store to put my sandpaper on. Just peal off the backing, put your sandpaper on and trim away the excess lino. Easy.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 PM

Feathers-N-Fur, what a great tip for a sandpaper board!! I've got the sand paper and the linoleum square on hand, so tomorrow I'm making me one, Thanks!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Here is the look w/ a different "red" fabric. I like the calmer feel, and think BH's patterns are so busy the nearly solid colors may not be "boring" (that is what I am hoping anyway)
I like it Kassaundra! I think it's sharp but I also liked the horse one. Was looking forward to seeing it altogether. The blue-ish fabric has sure "cut up" pretty!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Clue 2 done. The pictures aren't great--need a bit of natural light. And since, in my opinion, every quilt needs a touch of whimsy--sock monkeys!
Attached Thumbnails dscn1196.jpg   dscn1201.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 03:32 PM

Santy Claus hats!

I have clue two cut. Far too long standing, but I know my priorities
Old 12-04-2015, 03:55 PM

AngeliaNR they look like little Santa hats!!! Great job!!