Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 AM

I have all my setting triangles pieced and 17 blocks together, the remainder of the blocks have all been assembled to the point they just have the 2 long seams left to do.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 AM

I am slowly sewing my star blocks together -- I should be able to finish the first row today. It's quite a workout pressing those. It's thrilling to see them coming together -- this is such a wonderful quilt!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:50 AM

Hi everyone your quilts are looking wonderful, inspiring!
I have had a set back, my RA has decided to get the better of me so I have been going to physical therapy, still 3 weeks of that left then I can get back on track with this lovely quilt top.
I come here everyday to just drool over everyone's progress.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Everyone's blocks and tops look great. My blocks are all sewn into a whole and I just need to trim off the corners and put the borders on. I would like to send this one out to a long armer for quilting but have never used anyone before. I was wondering about getting a top ready for someone else to quilt. Do you have to trim off the fraying pieces too or just mainly the thread used to piece it? Some of my fabric seemed to fray quite a bit and it would take a lot of time to neaten it up. Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM

I just trim stray threads and make sure the seams are pressed flat. If you have a lot of fraying happening you might want to get some fray-check and dab it on the bad areas.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:38 PM

I usually babysit my grandkids through the week, but we got enough snow and ice that we had no school today and their dads were able to stay home with them.

Sooooo, I had all day to sew my blocks into rows and rows into a top, ready for borders!! Yay me!!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
I just trim stray threads and make sure the seams are pressed flat. If you have a lot of fraying happening you might want to get some fray-check and dab it on the bad areas.
You might also run a stay stitch all the way around it. Sew it @ 1/8" from the edge.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:19 AM

I must have miscalculated my black yardage as I had to dash off to my LQS yesterday in order to cut more 2-inch black squares...I'm currently working on Part 4 (or is it 5), anyhow... I needed 400 and something but was only able to get 280 from my remaining black... cutting more today.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
Well, Sunday came and went, and not a stitch got sewn

I did however finalise my block placements, and cut out the bits for an extra 2 star blocks.

If I ever do this pattern again, I think I should use yardage rather than go scrappy, cos I found myself becoming more and more fussy about fabric placement as I went along, to the extent that I had to force myself NOT to unpick some sections to change the fabrics .

Seeing everyone else's finished tops is certainly helping me along with this odyssey tho
Kate, I agree with you about using yardage. I think my OCD was in play as I found myself confounded with too much variety. I felt so much better when I made a trip to the fabric store and got some more neutral to use that was all the same. I love seeing everybody's work an the differences each has.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM

So glad everyone is still plugging along! I got mine trimmed and the narrow gold border sewn on. White sewing it on I noticed I really whacked off some corners in the trimming--thought I was keeping pretty straight so must have had some wonky blocks or something. Oh well, the rest of it isn't perfect either!! Hope to get the outer black border on in the next couple of days then off to the long armer once I decide on backing!
Question about the borders (I don't normally do borders)--Bonnie said to join the narrow border strips on the diagonal which I did and made sense to me. But she said to seethe wider black border strips just straight end to end, not on the diagonal. Is this normal??? Just curious why one is in the diagonal and the other one is not??

ps: for the long armer I just trim major loose long threads, i don't spend the time to trim off all the fraying threads---and this top has tons of them!!! That would take forever. I try to catch loose dark threads that would lay behind a lighter neutral piece that might show through.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 01-13-2016 at 01:12 PM.