Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 AM

I was hoping we'd work with red and black!

You can't peter out now, Julie -- we're only half way there! Probably lots of people will fall behind this week (but keeping up isn't the thing . . . as long as we keep going).

Jeanne S, I'm glad you spelled out the 240 for us. I had come up with 120 at my first glance. I guess the fact that we've done this unit already is supposed to make it seem less daunting?

Siodach, I love your 4-patches! The fact that your neutrals are also yellow-hued gives it such a sunny appearance. I think there is enough contrast.

peaceandjoy, lol! I'm glad we've had the 'cut in half' warning. At least then it won't come as a terrible shock if that's what we do.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:44 AM

Love your sunny four patches Siodach.

Clue 4 is a whopper, in my opinion. and she's going to take awhile. I'm thinking about using the same black and reds with mixed neutrals on all the blocks so that I don't have to worry about sets of four. If that makes any sense.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
I have NO IDEA when I'll be able to work on this clue. My tree still isn't 100% decorated, today and tomorrow are shot, half of Sunday will be spent visiting, we're out of town next Tue-Thur, then it's Christmas! Baking? What baking? Wrap presents? UGH! I just want to see the blocks PUT TOGETHER! LOL I feel like I'm petering out, especially with having to make MORE santa hats!
suck it up Julie!! Anyone that can make a Queen size T-shirt quilt can whip out 240 Santa hats Easy Peasy!!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 AM

oh, the butterfly is so cute....spring.....I really think it is warmer today, since the clue #4 was posted !!!

yesterday at the LQS there was a new red that I just loved so bought some hoping to work it into the quilt and presto/change-O....the perfect block......I think it might be part of the border, maybe, with the bricks....we shall see, but now to make dozens of butterflies and have them flutter all over the design wall until time to sew them in their home ALLIETARRRRRRE !
Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Something that would be brilliant is the top be one giant square...
I'm sort of disappointed today's clue wasn't strings
Old 12-18-2015, 08:09 AM

one giant square would be cool......difficult to do half.....well if necessary for the design....bite the bullet and do (what was it) whatever size it works out !!!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
wow! definitely one to do in stages......

And those of us who've substituted different colours have the potential to be even more confused
Siodach, aka, Kate, Love your colors! Your choices are so sunny and pretty! Well, I am confused and I am doing Bonnie's colors. For one, I don't have a piece of black that is large enough, now I have to do math to figure out how much red I need to use. I mistakenly thought that scrappy meant getting rid of my smaller pieces and am now waiting for my order of Amish black to get here hopefully today from Keepsake Quilting, and might have to do a run to the fabric store for more red. Most my pieces are a half yard or so, except for the gray being at 1 1/2 yard since it was a constant.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
I have NO IDEA when I'll be able to work on this clue. My tree still isn't 100% decorated, today and tomorrow are shot, half of Sunday will be spent visiting, we're out of town next Tue-Thur, then it's Christmas! Baking? What baking? Wrap presents? UGH! I just want to see the blocks PUT TOGETHER! LOL I feel like I'm petering out, especially with having to make MORE santa hats!
Julie, You just must stay with us! More Santa hats really does seem daunting but we are all in this together! I have enjoyed your posts and your smile so keep going.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Siodach, aka, Kate, Love your colors! Your choices are so sunny and pretty! Well, I am confused and I am doing Bonnie's colors. For one, I don't have a piece of black that is large enough, now I have to do math to figure out how much red I need to use. I mistakenly thought that scrappy meant getting rid of my smaller pieces and am now waiting for my order of Amish black to get here hopefully today from Keepsake Quilting, and might have to do a run to the fabric store for more red. Most my pieces are a half yard or so, except for the gray being at 1 1/2 yard since it was a constant.
I've never seen Bonnie do this kind of "controlled scrappy" before. But keep in mind, you don't need ALL your blacks the same. Just 16 2" squares, 30 times. So 4"x16" (or 2"x32") of each of several (30) different blacks would work. I guess that is still a pretty big piece, if you were going really scrappy, but it seems to me your 1/2 yards should be plenty.

Same with reds - one red per set. You can use 30 different reds in all, and all you need is about 8"x4 1/2" of each.

I'm thankful that I decided to do mine all (except neutrals) in single fabrics - no worries about keeping sets of 4 together for me this week. But that's a heck of a lot of headless geese.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:14 AM

My opinion, based on my exhaustive (ha ha) experience with Bonnie is:
No strings - last time we had strings (Orca Bay) she told us to pull out our string bins, in the fabric requirements.
No cutting finished blocks. Bonnie would make us create all the little tiny pieces, rather than making big ones and cutting them down

That said, I've done 4 mysteries with Bonnie (Orca Bay, Easy Street, Celtic Sostice, and Grand Illusion) and this one does keep surprising me.