Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 10-31-2017, 06:08 AM

I figured it out and have contacted the admins and asked permission to start the new thread.

As always happens, I'm very tempted by Bonnie's colorway. I love those peaceful sunrise photos!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 AM

The corner ruler that Bonnie suggested is pretty pricey. I'm wondering if this ruler will work. What do you all think?

https://www.amazon.com/Prairie-Sky-Q...Q4NK78NR2GE1GR
Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM

I watched a youtube video; it looks pretty handy. You don't have to draw the line.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM

I've never done a Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt but as I looked at her site I see that she has groups of color pallets. She has aqua to turquoise, warm & toasty browns (chocolate), coral to melon, white to cream to beige. So does she use all those color pallets or is she giving you suggestions as to what group you might like to make your quilt from? In other words, is she saying you could make the quilt with aqua to turquoise & another quilter might like to make her quilt using coral to melon colors, etc. I'm not sure I understand what she is saying with the colors. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I've never done a Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt but as I looked at her site I see that she has groups of color pallets. She has aqua to turquoise, warm & toasty browns (chocolate), coral to melon, white to cream to beige. So does she use all those color pallets or is she giving you suggestions as to what group you might like to make your quilt from? In other words, is she saying you could make the quilt with aqua to turquoise & another quilter might like to make her quilt using coral to melon colors, etc. I'm not sure I understand what she is saying with the colors. Thanks!
Bonnie is telling you the colors she has in her quilt. So this year it is the four colors ( using multiple color in the four color ranges). She is the queen of scrappy quilts, so she usually suggest you use up your scraps, or fat quarters etc, as much as possible. You don't have to even use her colors. It's all up to you. I’m undecided if i’m going to go limited scrappy or just yardage from the 4 colors. I want to do my background in 1 fabric color. Still undecided. Spending the next few weeks going through my stash and finish projects so I can start this on time.

Could someone let us know when the new thread is posted for this? Thank-you. I’m holding my breath for this one. LOL.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
So we have a four color quilt (including the neutrals), or you could look at it as values. As I see it (from turning her photos to black and white), we have one dark (the brown), two mediums (the corals and blues) and one light (the neutrals). So you could choose any group of colors with a dark, 2 mediums and a light, depending on your taste and/or what's in your stash. You could do different colors, as Bonnie has, or a monotone (is that the correct term?), with different values of the same color.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 AM

I'll be using light/medium blue instead of Bonnie's aqua color, as that is what I have without buying anything. I have everything else, so I'm super pleased!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 AM

Just got home from Lowe's with the color selections Bonnie chose. I know that I have plenty of the aqua/turquoise fabrics on hand but very little of the coral or brown fabric. If I decide to do this mq I will probably use yardage as I am not confident in my choices for a scrappy at this time. Can't wait to see everyone's choices in fabrics.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I won't be doing this but I love to see results from mystery quilts.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM

I viewed Bonnies colors as a dark (brown) medium (aqua) light (neutrals) and a bright (coral) even though in the grey scale it is a medium, to me it read as a bright when compared to her other choices.