Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful fabrics on this page! We're going to have some gorgeous quilts.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:07 AM

I am really enjoying all the fabrics and all the layouts. They are all looking so good! I have finished part 4 and am so thankful Bonnie has lightened the load for this clue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564122[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 12-20-2016, 09:16 AM

The yellow and green is going to set this quilt off nicely, I'm thinking. HST perhaps? SiS? Or hourglass?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 AM

very pretty Emily. I am loving all the pictures. I agree we are going to see some beautiful quilts
Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 AM

I'm so far behind, because of overtime on my job, as well as the usual holiday frenzy...

And I was having an AWFUL time with my pink and lavender Tri-Recs pieces not ending up the right size. I had considered going out and buying the AccuQuilt die for this... and then thought to myself "Didn't I buy this die already a gazillion years ago?!?" Dug out the case that holds my smaller die sets, and lo and behold, there it was!!!

I know Bonnie said that the dies waste more fabric, but my thinking is, it's MORE wasteful if I (evidently) can't cut accurately with the TriRecs tools. I cut about 10-12 sets with the die, sat down at the machine, and oh joy!! They came out PERFECT!! So, last night I used the hand-cut pieces and re-cut them with my GO! So, those pieces (mostly) won't be wasted after all.

Tomorrow is my last day of work for 2016. Hopefully, I can get caught up with everyone else, even though I unexpectedly had three customer quilts get dropped off to be longarmed.

For everyone else who has posted pics, I'm drooling over the fabrics and colors!! I predict this is going to be an absolutely GORGEOUS bunch of quilts when we all finish!!
Old 12-20-2016, 10:41 AM

letawellman, so glad the GO is working for you. When you recut your pieces with the GO, where did it seem you had been off when hand cutting? My cutting must be inconsistent, because I have some that come out right and others are a bit narrow. I've not had a single one come out too big, which would be preferable to too small.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Leta, good for you for persevering until you found a method that works for you.
Loving everyone shared images

ddtrina, I know I could google it but were is the fun conversation in that? Will you explain to me what Mannequin is all about?

joe'smom, I'm guessing they fit because the corners are nipped? I bought a Marti Michelle acrylic for cutting tumblers and just the littlest nip, those charms lined up like magic although they are a bit off set.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-20-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
letawellman, so glad the GO is working for you. When you recut your pieces with the GO, where did it seem you had been off when hand cutting? My cutting must be inconsistent, because I have some that come out right and others are a bit narrow. I've not had a single one come out too big, which would be preferable to too small.
Somehow, my angles were just the teensy bit too wide... just enough to make the smaller triangles not line up together. Plus the GO has those little corners trimmed on the bigger triangle and it just matches perfect with with smaller triangles.
I am MUCH happier with how these are lining up!!
I'm not one to OCD if something isn't PERFECT, but doggone, these were going every which-way!! Some of the original ones were good, others... eh, not so much. Some of them were slightly too big, BUT... the seam allowance where all three pieces meet just wasn't there, so if I use those blocks, I'll lose the inner point.
<sigh>

I REALLY want to master this small block, as I have a dream of a Storm At Sea quilt, where the color values change so that it looks like the ocean - blues, greens, blue-greens, dark blues, dark greens, and so on, with a little cream thrown in here and there, like the waves cresting whitecaps. I figure if I can learn how to get these pieces right on the MQ, I'll be ready to tackle my SaS vision.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Here's my clue 4! Ready for the next one. :-)
Attached Thumbnails clue4a.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 03:10 PM

pretty blues!