Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 AM

NZ, if you stick it out it will probably change how you choose and make quilts.
The first year I did it I chose to do so because I started 5 months of radiation treatment the same day the 1st clue came out.
What I used to say: I HATE cutting.

Now I enjoy it very much because I have experience with Bonnie's methods, and because I can clearly understand how and why to cut the way we do in the mysteries. It is just one step of the fun. I never 'got' that before.

Somewhere along the years I forgot all about finger pressing. Sometimes Bonnie has the quilt assembled before she presses with an iron. ( not always, but it can certainly be done) I love finger pressing

This is the first year I've used Bonnie's colors I think. Part of the fun is how different the same quilt looks with all the alternate choices.

I like how it is broken down into doable bites.
I love using small pieces now, 3" block is way too big
I love how neutrals glow when all mixed together!
I used 15 different neutrals in my Dear Jane...ha. I used 15 different white and whites

Anyway, it also works out perfectly for my stash. I never bought very big pieces, usually quarter or third yards. My stash is made for scrappy quilting. Need a red? Use twenty!

this is my ocra bay done in 1800's reproductions. Bonnie's was red white blue and black I think.
I think I only had 5 blues, it would have been better with more variety.
all good fun! I always tidy up my quilt room before we start which has become a nice tradition for me.
Attached Thumbnails 2011-bonnie-hunter-mystery-orca-bay.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-05-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
If you buy the neutral bundle from Whittles pay attention to how it says you won't get what's pictured. I got 2 white on white fabrics (a swiss dot, and a heart dot), one light purple print that read light purple from a distance, one dark tan with too much black print to suit me, one print with cranberry flowers that was too dark to suit me, and a novelty kid's print. 6 of the 12 I didn't want and won't use for this project.
Darn, Givio! That's a bummer. I got lucky and all the neutrals were okay except for the one white on white with hearts. I didn't dislike the purples, but I decided to go with some blues I have in my stash and I'll keep the purples in my stash for something else. I like the yellows and the magenta I got.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
On your 4 patch units, Do you undo the stitching to spin the seams.
Kirsten
You usually don't have to undo the stitching. Once in a while it's a little stubborn and you have to take out a couple of stitches.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 AM

KalamaQuilts, your Orca Bay is beyond beautiful. This mystery is my second Bonnie Hunter quilt. The Double Delight is calling me tho and I hear it. Lol

I went Black Friday shopping at Connecting Threads and my order came in and just happened to have three usable fat quarters in it. Yay. Those with the remainder of my musical notes and I'm back in business with about a yard of neutrals. You know, I even enjoy that kind of challenge.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 AM

Last year's discussion prompted me to make Roll Roll Cotton Boll, and Orca Bay is in the same book, so I did both. Cotton Boll blocks are all constructed and ready to be sewn together. I have the hourglass units, HSTs and string blocks done for Orca Bay, and everything else cut. And my fabrics pulled for Double Delight, LOL. There's something about the challenge of a Bonnie quilt . . .
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
On your 4 patch units, Do you undo the stitching to spin the seams.
Kirsten
I have always spun intersecting seams, and have rarely ever had to undo stitching.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Your Ocra Bay is just stunning, KalamaQuilts! This is my first Bonnie Hunter quilt, and I'm loving the small pieces! I will probably make a few more patterns from her website after this. I'm enjoying myself so much I wish there was a new clue twice a week!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:00 AM

And THIS Bonnie Hunter newbie is back on the happy track! I've made 30 3 1/2" triangles in a square and they all look alike! I stopped measuring because they were all the same. I do believe my sanity must have at least tried to sneak back in while I was sleeping. Ok, I think emotionally I'm preparing for clue number 3 without feeling completely overwhelmed! ❤️ Yeah!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 AM

I'm just plugging along on the 2 clues...
Making sure everything is exact....
I sure enjoy the mystery quilts...
Kirsten
Old 12-05-2016, 01:33 PM

the only time I have problems with the stitching when I twist the seams - is if I used the thread cutter on my machine when I ended the seam before I sewed the one I'm trying to spin - as the thread has a tendency to tangle just a tad when I start the next seam, even if I hold the top thread out of the way. If I don't hold the top thread, then I get a big tangle.

If I chain, I make sure to cut the threads closer to the fabric, so they unsew easy when I spin.

I occasionally have a center that won't loosen, and those I undo a thread or two and then it's fine.