Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM

Perusing the thread for all these finishes! Some amazing work here. Iceblossom if you didn't mention it, I'd never have noticed that duckie! Every one of them is astounding, and far beyond my current skills. I'm *so* very glad I didn't give this one a try - it would have been my first BH mystery. Feel like I dodged a bullet there, lol. I'm sure I'll be tempted next year!
Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 PM

Wow! Great progress pictures and great quilt finishes! Congratulations!
Old 02-15-2020, 03:22 AM

Iceblossom, your finished Frolic didn't disappoint those of us waiting to see it. It is stunningly bright and cheerful. Congrats on finishing it and in good humor too. I've thoroughly enjoyed your ongoing commentary and progress report and will miss your posts.
My blocks are all done though I am still considering how to mellow it down a bit with changes in the sashings.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 AM

I noticed today on Quiltville Studio some are toning down the busy with 2" and 2.5" finished sashing, not pieced. I think with the larger sashing the leftover (if you have any) little four patches could be used for the cornerstones.

Love seeing the finishes come through, well done everyone!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:55 AM

Origami, SusieQ and Iceblossom, your tops are fantastic! Iceblossom, I'm wild about that backing!

Bonnie's quilts are best viewed from a distance. Up close, you see the individual pieces rather than the overall pattern. I remember when I brought my Grand Illusion to my LQS (now closed) I asked the ladies go to the back of the shop while I stood near the front door to show them the quilt, LOL.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:43 PM

I worked some more on putting the rows together. Half of the top is pieced. Not sure I’m liking it as much as some of the others I have done. I get bored with the piecing of rows. Has not happened with any others. But I will plug along and get it finished. LOL. I am joining the blocks “on point”. But I have a question...if you pieced it in horizontal rows, did you need extra half-block units? I might change my mind about the layout and take it all apart.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:24 AM

Smile wall hanging

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
That's so pretty!
I also love the wallhanging in the background. Could we see a close up?
Here is a picture of the wallhanging. It is a panel I bought a year or two ago.
I ended up using a walking foot to quilt lines on the two borders, two horizontal lines on the navy and sort or a wide piano key following the print.
Attached Thumbnails img_1163.jpg  
Old 02-16-2020, 06:34 AM

Wow, I知 loving everyone痴 progress and finished quilts, they are all beautiful! I致e still only got 3 blocks done and I知 going to make it a much smaller size and perhaps make a few additional blocks to get 2 quilts out of it, perhaps a couple of twin sizes and I値l change up he borders on one of them as I do have sufficient left overs to use.

I知 just really burned out on making Queen and King size quilts right now 😳and I知 in the last stages of redoing my sewing room, so I知 not really motivated to sew until the painting is done this coming Friday, as I do have to take down my design wall so he can paint the crown molding.

Last edited by tallchick; 02-16-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 AM

I am also enjoying everyone's projects. Yes it's busy but that blue/red Lemoyne type star is so classic. I think the people that used yardage really had it good for this project. I have my backing fabric washed and cut into three lengths: two matching and "perfect" length, one a little short -- as a hint to myself I marked the slightly short one with safety pins in But I still have to figure out how I'm going to be putting in my 9 extra blocks made from the setting triangle leftovers. I really liked the different design that comes from slicing it down the middle diagonal but since the blocks are whole, maybe I'll make a diagonal step of like 5 blocks and then fill it in with half blocks, I've attached an idea sketch from my notebook (you'll also see my notes on those corner units).

Alva, if you put it horizontal you can always finish off those half blocks into whole ones if you want the top bigger. I'd probably make the quilt rectangular if I did lay it horizontal.

I had my XFL football game yesterday, a day of zero sewing but a lot of fun. I was the one who wanted to go but the hubby sure enjoyed himself, it was our first football game together and his "live" version is much more animated than his "house bound" version.

Today is our usual bowling date and thrift store runs. He's still in bed but I'm doing some more clean-up from the Project (found some of my light parakeet greens that had fallen behind some boxes that I wish I had been able to use). Oh, speaking of boxes, last week the City inspector came in and said "yes, that is a water heater and yes that is earthquake strapping, where's your paperwork?" and that was the last chapter of the new water heater and the boxes can be moved back into the family room until we go through them and get rid of what is inside. Of course they got covered with fabric in the six weeks or so they've been in the living room...
Attached Thumbnails frolic-back-layout.jpg  
Old 02-16-2020, 08:51 AM

I went ahead and cut one block. If I decide to back out at this point (which I don't think I will do) and make a lap quilt out of my blocks, well -- I still have enough in that huge pile of scraps to make another block.

First shot is my initial thought and would have been better if I had just kept them at half blocks, but I wanted the chance to change out some blocks on the top, so here they are sliced.

Second shot is the stepped approach, whole blocks edged with sliced blocks. Again, both of these concepts would be a diagonal bar across the back of the quilt. I had 9 and still have 8 blocks which I could just butt next to each other and place down the center of the back, that would give enough extra width for quilting.

Edit: In the slice shot, that bottom is one of the light green/yellow combinations that gave me fits. The next shot has a really visible Funky Monkey goose unit in the first whole block. Unfortunately there is no diagonal for me to slice it away... Such are the reasons the blocks ended up on the back. Actually, there are only 3 what I considered bad, 3 were acceptable, and 3 were perfectly fine. And I did still end up with some of those Monkeys on the top...
Attached Thumbnails 100_5581.jpg   100_5580.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-16-2020 at 08:58 AM.