Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Girlfriend, I think your fabrics are pretty great. The only thing I'd do is take those two mediums out of the dark, you can see them in the black and white picture, top right corner, not the edge but next to the edge. I think the dark with the light print on the bottom row that lights up in the B&W picture is fine in the darks.

You are keeping pretty tight to the paint chips, sure you can expand your colors a bit if it makes you happy. Go look at her assortments, I don't think most of them actually fit the paint chip. I love your aqua/refresh btw, and I think your reds are spot on!
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Girlfriend - your colors are marvelous!!! I think you got it!
    Kristi

Quote Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
    Gosh, I'm struggling so much with the colors....I have never seen a Texas Bluebell in person, so I decided to do some research. I found this link:

Everyone's colors are so beautiful! I can't wait to start cutting and sewing clue #1 tomorrow.
    Bluebonnets (not bells) can range from almost navy at the bottom to light blue towards the top. When you look at a field of them they look lighter blue due to their white tips. But a single one has a wide variety of shades, so really any shade blue will work.
    This is a pic I used in my Easter card a few years ago. The red is Indian paintbrush. But if you look at the bluebonnets you can see the variety of blues.
    Name:  Bluebonnets-055.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  393.2 KB

Girlfriend, I've learned since my first mystery that Bonnie's paint chips are often quite different from her inspiration photos/descriptions and from her fabric choices. I think maybe with the paint chips, she is wanting to give a precise palette that works optimally, since people will be using it to choose fabrics and because not everyone has a comfort level or expertise in choosing colors. For example, suppose you took a chip that was closer to how you perceive the main bluebonnet color (it seems brighter and more purple to me than the dress blues chip). That replacement chip might not look quite as good with the other paint chips. But when the chips are translated to a range of color in fabrics, that precision doesn't matter so much. I think the other factor is probably contrast. The paint chips may represent the optimal value contrast for the pattern, but it works with a range of values, just like the color.

This year I was really trying to use stash and not spend too much on fabric. I had lots of the navy blues, so I decided to stick closely to the chips. If I had been prepared to buy a lot of fabric this year, I might have gone with the look of the photos rather than with the chips. I think your fabric choices are wonderful!

I love everyone’s colors

Blog Entries
    Name:  FDA355D5-548D-4FF4-A5BA-505AA8DB78A2.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  137.2 KB

here’s my clue 1. All done except the squaring up. I really like how easily the seams spun. I had no idea it made a difference which way you put the unit through! I sure hope my colors end up working out. I tried to follow the paint chips but went mostly with stash so we will see.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Pamela, those look wonderful!

Girlfriend, you are far ahead of me. I have one fuchsia and one blue picked out. On the other hand, I will not be starting my efforts until February, so I figure I have time. You have some beauties in your selection.

I am going to start my squares today, and hopefully finish them tomorrow! I hope the next clue isn't very complicated or time consuming, because I won't have another day off until next Thursday. I hope it is something I can get done in one day...I don't want to get behind.

All of the pictures have been inspiring me to get moving...thank you!

Blog Entries
    Girlfriend and PamelaOry, your fabrics and 4 patch blocks look wonderful.

SusieQ, I remember my first BH mystery a few years back (Allietare) and how crazy it was especially trying to fit sewing into the month of December...just take it one step at a time and have fun. I don’t think I finished mine until late the following year.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

!!!! If I want to make half size (41x41) quilt, do I just make half the number of blocks? Sorry, math is not my strong point. I know in other BH mysteries I would have thought to only do half the number, but when folks figured out the math, it turned out to be another number.

Thanks in advance to our mathematicians. I sooooo appreciate your help.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-03-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

ILovetoQuilt, you could start out with 1/2, then at the reveal you would be able to tell precisely how many more units you would need. I think it would depend on the quilt. If I recall correctly, 3/4 was a good number for a smaller En Provence.

I completed sewing my required strip pieces together. I just need to cut out a few more purple stripes to make extra blocks for enlarging the top. I'll post pics when I have the required done.

I'm also working on finishing a Halloween top still putting together 4-Patches and 1/2 squares for that project. My other project is a RWB top for my Niece. On this project I need to just put together 28 stars and square up 28 1/2 square triangles and then I can put the top together and I'm done. Then it is happy quilting time.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    !!!! If I want to make half size (41x41) quilt, do I just make half the number of blocks? Sorry, math is not my strong point. I know in other BH mysteries I would have thought to only do half the number, but when folks figured out the math, it turned out to be another number.

The full size quilt is 82x82, about 6700 square inches. A 41x41 quilt is just under 1700 square inches, 1/4 the size. One-third of the units should be enough. Half will be more than enough—you can put any extra units on the back. It all depends on the layout—I am doing half and hope to get a wall hanging about 55” square.
    Last edited by Krisb; 12-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

It's really fun to see all of your pretty 4 patches! I love lurking here. I've decided I'm just not into the mystery, myself, but will watch to see what all of you are doing. Looking great, so far!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Finished my 4P today, I ended up making quite a few extra and will use those for something!!Name:  my 4P.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  264.3 KB
    Some of the light blues kind of washed out in the flash, they are not as pale as they look in the photo.
    I am hoping to end up with a good throw size, so I am making 3/4 of the suggested blocks. Will adjust the number at the end as needed.
    Last edited by wildyard; 12-03-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Girlfriend- I think your choices are fantastic!

I’m really enjoying seeing everyone’s progress and color choices. I’m finished with the first clue and I’m looking forward to the next one.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Here are a few of mine--I made too many!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-03-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Here are my four patches. I substituted purple for blue and yellow for the raspberry. I am making fewer blocks, I can add to them if I decide I want a larger quilt.
    Name:  IMG_0668 resized.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  105.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Quilter View Post
    Here are my four patches. I substituted purple for blue and yellow for the raspberry. I am making fewer blocks, I can add to them if I decide I want a larger quilt.
    Name:  IMG_0668 resized.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  105.5 KB
    I really like your purple and yellow combinations. Perhaps I will try that color combo some time.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I love all of your finished four patches, it is really exciting to see how the colors work together!

Question for those of you with more experience than me...should I set that final seam with my iron before i spin the seams and then press it again, or can I spin the seams first and just press once?

It took me all day, but my strips are joined and pressed, I am beginning to cut them into the final squares! I have already learned so much about accurate piecing just in the first step...I thought I had that scant quarter inch down, but my rulers don't lie, lol

Quote Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
    I love all of your finished four patches, it is really exciting to see how the colors work together!

Question for those of you with more experience than me...should I set that final seam with my iron before i spin the seams and then press it again, or can I spin the seams first and just press once?

It took me all day, but my strips are joined and pressed, I am beginning to cut them into the final squares! I have already learned so much about accurate piecing just in the first step...I thought I had that scant quarter inch down, but my rulers don't lie, lol
    Origami, I just spin and press in one step.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    Here are a few of mine--I made WAY too many!
    Angelia, I love your fabrics. It's so fun to see what everyone has. I started my 4-patches today. I'm still trying to finish up some Christmas gifts, so I may not get the first clue done by Friday. I had to pull out some of my original choices, since there wasn't enough contrast. I also make more than I need, just so I have a little better variety to choose from. But that doesn't prevent me from putting two of the same fabric together! I opted for a solid for the green. It will be busy enough.

LeslieName:  Frolic!-fabrics.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  290.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post

41" x 41" would be a quarter size. But since we don't know how the pieces are going together I'd recommend making a third of the blocks. You'll have too many of some but not enough of others so you'll have to adjust at the reveal. For example, Bonnie likes pieced borders and sometimes sashing, so you'd need more of those than the pieces in the actual blocks themselves, but we won't know that until the reveal. If you don't want any left over, then do a fourth and be prepared to make more at the end where needed.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Cute 4-patches everyone love seeing all the color combos!
    Here are mine are not trimmed yet hope to have to do minimal trimming
    I went with orange instead of the Framboise/raspberry color as the recipient did not care for that color. Used dark blue and light blue.
    Name:  20191203_205609.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  956.7 KB
    ​Christine

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast