Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along >

Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Old 10-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
This is my first time joining a 'Sew Along'. I see at the very beginning of this thread it lists the fabric amounts; but, from there where are the next steps? Am I suppose to go somewhere? I feel pretty stupid as everyone seems to be going strong!

Sorry, I just went back and found Step one on about #53. Then it said steps will be posted on this thread every 2 weeks. So now I'm assuming since I'm on this thread I will be notified.
Exactly! Please subscribe to this thread so you can find it quicker.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 PM

QNS - that will be very pretty.

Givio - I am kind of doing the same thing; my chains will be cool colors - purples, greens, blues, and my circles will be warm colors - reds, oranges, pinks. We'll see - - -
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 AM

QuiltingNinaSue, you're going to make a Christmas quilt! I was tempted to do mine in that way, I'll be paying attention to your advances (just in case I decide to make one like yours in the future).

Givio, great variety in your fabrics, I like them a lot.

I'm in doubt with my own fabrics. I have decided that my chains and circles will be most on solids (well, not real solids but prints that read as solids). I wanted to do mine all from stash/scraps, but I'm lacking some colors... this is what I have:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602489[/ATTACH]

But I've been hoarding for some time a layer cake of 'Hello Darling' (Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabric) that has a great variety and some of the prints fit perfectly my purposes. Now I don't know what to do: if I open the package and only use some of the fabrics, maybe in the future I'll don't have enough of this line for a complet project (this means more scraps). Besides this, all the fabrics I'm using at the moment in my project are washed, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mixt washed and unwashed fabrics in the same quilt.

On the other hand, they are lovely and I think they would look fantastic. They are exactly the tones I like for my Burgoyne Surrounded (plenty of reds, aquas, greens, oranges and pinks... it even contains great 'low volumes' that I can use, and they are so different of my 'old lady florals' that I think they would really add a bit of 'spice').

What would you do?

By the way, yesterday was a holiday in Spain and I managed to sew my third block (I wish I have a holiday every week!):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602490[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cadenas-y-c%EDrculos.jpg   bloque-3.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-13-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Silk, I like your block! You have a good sense of light, medium and dark balance in your colors.

I am thinking of twin quilts...like, well, two of them 'cause we have two children claiming and proud of their parents. One will need to be a king and one a queen... if I can have the energy to do the work and the sight to measure right. So I will try one first, and see what happens about the second one. I keep visualizing a blank block, actual size and putting the fabric pieces where they go on the block and not quite seeing it. Maybe if I drew it out on drafting paper.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Silk, my vote is to add the B&C fabric if you think you need more variety. :-) I like scrappy quilts though. If you like color-coordinated designer line quilts, then keep your bundle intact until you are ready to use it.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 AM

I've finally settled on colors and started cutting.

I'm going with three shades of beige for the background and then black in the very center, with dark yellow circle and a deep turquoise blue for the chain.

I've got the background for all the 9patches cut, and the blue for the chain so I can get to sewing step 1 soon.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:27 AM

when will step 2 be posted this is going to be fun
Old 10-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Every other Friday; First was posted Oct 5th, so she will post on Oct. 19th, I believe.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:41 AM

here are the colors I'm going with. Not sure if I'll get the sewing for clue 1 done before two comes out, but I'll have two weeks to get caught up then.

the darkest is black and it has the same colors in it as the pattern fabric right next to it. The gold has more yellow to it, and the blue is quite vibrant next to them all.

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-17-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 AM

Great fabric choices.