Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Silk, The feather quilting motif is lovely on the blocks of the quilt in the link you posted! There were lots of quilts sewn in this color scheme after 'Tone It Down' was published. http://www.vintagemodernquilts.com/2...osing-fabrics/
    https://www.pinterest.com/rkmatus/to...quilt/?lp=true

I have far too many PhD's (Projects Half Done) to even consider this, but wanted to wish everyone well. I'm looking forward to seeing the quilts. Maybe I'll even make one block as a mini quilt or table topper. It's a beautiful quilt, and a reminder that our forefathers overcame serious odds in their battle for freedom.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    We're starting here with the supply list.

http://www.lynbrown.com/wp-content/u...-List-2012.pdf

I will post the Step One on Friday, Oct. 5th.

Any other questions, please let me know!
    This link worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

Blog Entries
    Is there any discussion of choosing large prints, vs. solid colors????

So, here is my question. How do I say Burgoyne? Is it Bur-goin?

I was too tired after work last night to do more than look at the pattern and online pictures. So far the one I like the best was made by Charisma who occasionally posts on this board. Not sure if I'm in love with the color choices, or just the phenomenal quilting she did!

I may make a couple of test blocks because I can't decide between light background or dark background. Or maybe I'll just make one of each . . .

BattleAxe - I think large prints might interfere with the pattern. Unless your large prints were either dark/light and then you used the other for the background. If your large prints are something like dark flowers on a light background, when you cut that up you'll end up with some dark pieces and some light pieces when you really one want one or the other. One neat thing about using a large print is that when you do cut it up, you can get a lot of variety in the smaller pieces without actually doing it scrappy. So you get the advantage of using WOF for sewing strips but when you cut them into 2.5" sections, you get lots of variety.

I have some KF fabric that would work really great. there is a lot of bold colors and the prints are large scale so there would be a lot of variety in 2" finished squares, if paired up with either a light or dark neutral, they'd still stand out well.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 10-03-2018 at 03:53 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    So, here is my question. How do I say Burgoyne? Is it Bur-goin?
    I think it's exactly as spelled- Bur-goyne.
    I love the idea of doing a historical patten.

Thanks SusieQOH, that's the way I was saying it. Just wanted to make certain. DH raised the question.

I love this one that the Quilted Twins made. So pretty!
    https://pin.it/jyqhe2idthyobz I have soooo many quilts in progress right now, and I'm on the fence if I'll actually join, but I really want to!
    Last edited by NZquilter; 10-03-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

This has really caught my interest, but like several of you, I'm on the fence - too many UFO's! I'll be following, however. Wouldn't this make a great exchange block? I looked at the link that NZquilter posted. Fun project. Thanks for starting this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Is there any discussion of choosing large prints, vs. solid colors????

IMHO - - - small to medium-scale or 'blender' prints might work better. I say this b/c I just finished a mystery quilt and made the not-wise choice of using a large-scale print and it did not work out well at all.
    Jane

I should add that many of the pieces in these blocks are 1" finished so use that information to help make your fabric choices.
    Jane

https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...g-t299930.html

Try to click on this link. It is not actually on her first site we accessed.
    Life is Good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I'm glad you chose this quilt. I grew up in Saratoga and my grandmother was Saratoga County Historian. So I am quite familiar with this quilt. I have owned the pattern book for many years and the spine is not even cracked LOL. Perhaps I could get it done with this thread.
    https://www.amazon.com/Burgoyne-Surr...yne+surrounded
    This looks like a great resource especially, if one wants to make an atypical BurgSur quilt.

As I'm using scraps of reds I have been figuring out how much I will need for each block. My plan is to use one "light" red for the circle and one "dark" red for the chains within the block. My connecting chains will be a scrappy "dark" red and outer checker border a combination of "dark" and "light" reds. Not sure what I will use for an outer border and need to find background fabric yet as well.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Oh my! I just went to look at this quilt/ pattern...I am excited, looking forward to joining in on this one. What a wonderful quilt. There’s been a lot of ( stress) in my world the past few months and something like this will help me focus on something else....music and a great pattern just makes my world a happy place.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Thanks Macybaby, I ran into this on one I'm doing now. It called for orange and I had a lovely orange with some black marks in it. So now I've got these black marks to contend with. I've got several bolts...yes..I can't help myself sometimes with large red and black prints and some with yellow and black prints. I'll just save them for another project.

My overall goal is to sew up the fabric that I have, joined the fabric moratorium and have only one more order due here today.

Is this a disease or what??

Blog Entries
    Yes Battle Axe, I think it is! I'm also using stash and on the moratorium, but just canceled out my stash usage with the purchase of my background fabric...go figure.

Last night cut fabrics for the "circle" pieces and have started on the "chain" pieces. Based on those fabrics I pulled out four pieces to use for an outer border. Then went shopping today to find the best background piece to use with said choices. I found it! Now in the washer so it's ready for the first step this week. It will definitely go with 2 of my 4 border picks; I'm ready to roll!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Still on the fence about color choices..... either do a 3 color but red being background color then blue for chain then white for circle. Of course using scrappy in each color way and use civil war fabrics. Or 2 color red and white or blue and white.

Or a solid background white or grey and just go scrappy for chain and centers hmmmm. Decisions , decisions and the answer is not make 2
    ​Christine

Oksewglad, you posted you were figuring out how much fabric needed per block when going with your scrappy reds... So How much is needed for the X, the O, and the background of the block? Are your calculations based on a 1" cut or finished square?

hi oksewglad ...my husband refused to keep his new t's aside for me to wash seperately. so ...i washed three (dark colors) together with ten colorcatchers on regular cycle & large load water level. wasteful yes, but when he got home fr work & saw all the dye saturated (drk green, blue & drk brown) ...each catcher sheet marbled with all the colors of his t's i finally got him to listen.
    i do scrappy more than anything. little tiny pieces ..and make the blocks then wash before joining all together. color catchers were suggested by quilty friends on another site. i experimented with how many color catcher sheets per load. no matter how saturated the sheets are i've never had dye bleeding on the fabrics.
    i sort darks, mediums & lights ...sometimes i have a lot of shades of a dark (green, black, red etcetcetc) and will make one load of just one of those individual colors ..just in case.
    i love love love color catchers. when i first started quilting i did my fabric the way i did my clothing --like colors together. worked ok until one time i mixed three shades of light green. one faded on another ..what a mess. had to go back & buy more greens.

and i never ever use the washer agitater ..not even delicate --lol delicate not in this farm girls' vocabulary either. i only agitate by hand. especially when doing already pieced blocks.
    Last edited by roguequilter; 10-04-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Blog Entries
    Hi rogue...these pieces are a little bigger than what we sometimes use

givio...I am not figuring background fabric as I will be using the same bg fabric throughout the whole quilt. I plan on cutting bg fabric as I need it. Following instructions in Lyn B's PDF, the cuts are 1.5 and 2.5" for the 15" finished block.

According to my calculations each block:

Circle (O's)
    1- 1.5 x 26" strip
    1- 5 x 6.5" piece, subcut 2- 2.5 x 6.5 or 1- 2.5 x 13" strip

Chain (X's)
    2 - 1.5 x 15 (one for 4P's, other for 9P's)
    1- 5 x 6 piece, subcut 2- 2.5 x 6 or 1- 2.5 x 12" strip

I have not figured how many 1.5" strips I will need for connecting sashing 9P's. These I plan to do scrappy darks...originally going to use both dark and light reds, but changed my mind. As I cut into my red scraps I am cutting 1.5" strips for the connecting 9P's. I am not going to do the first pieced 1.5" squares border, but planning on the "floating border" before the outer border.

If anyone else has figured differently please correct...I have added a little extra length to allow for ruler slippage. Have 23 circle sets cut and 16 chain sets. Figure an extra 3 blocks can be used in a bed runner if I want.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oksewglad, your calculations sound right. The Quilted Twins have Bur Surrounded as a free pdf pattern on their website and their block also finishes at 15" . I downloaded their pattern and I'm thinking I'll use it as I go along. https://www.quiltedtwins.com/s/Scrap...ed-pattern.pdf .
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    Thanks, NZq for the verification...guess I could've saved some time if I had seen this earlier..oh well...have all chain and circles strips cut out. Thanks for the scrappy version pdf as well. Will download it as a guide..who knows maybe some day I will make one really scrappy! I see she has used 25 blocks and made the quilt square and no border. Work today...gotta dash.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

would this be a good one to use scraps of red, white and blue to make a Quilts of Valor quilt? I think I will join, but just wanted to see what you all thought?

duh! I just clicked on the fabric requirements and they were showing red, white and blue! so, I think I got my answer.
    hoping scraps will work! I'm in!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast