Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm just confused. Have you posted the first week yet? I looked at the link and can't quite figure it out. I tried to get the pattern and just keep going around in circles. Do I need to go through Craftsy?
    Housework is for those who don't quilt!

Burgoyne Surrounded Step One

Here is our Step One for our Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along. As a reminder, I will post the steps here on this thread on Fridays every two weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Ready, set, go! I need to press my background fabric yet.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    I have my Step #1 done. Doing Red Scrappy for background white for Chain and blue for circle. I think
    Name:  Burgoyne Surrounded Step1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  150.5 KB
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    Looking good!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Christine, love your reds!

Lurking... but tempted. OK and Givio sent me! Like many people, I have too many irons in the fire, as is... but thinking about maybe sewing along with you and making just a baby quilt for one of my grandbabies to be born next Spring.

I would do the circular chains one color, the straight chains another color, and the 4 rectangles matching in each block. Then, scrappy whites for all the backgrounds. That is, tiny prints on white. Still thinking about it, but yeah, I'll probably succumb!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Of course you will SBG! Just think 9 blocks will make a 45 x 45 square quilt; 6 a 30 x 45 which you could add 4" border for 38 x 53 quilt and use one width of fabric for the backing.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I'm lurking too. I haven't completely caved in, but gee! I'm close! I am thinking bright fabrics for the chains and then light print fabric for the inner circular neutral and then scrappy neutrals for the rest. Sew alongs always make patterns much easier and enticing!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I am excited, I have been wanting to make this quilt for quiet awhile and I love sew-a-longs. I like scrappy so I will look through my stash and see what I can find. Since I been using Only stash--colors are getting limited.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-06-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Wow, fq40, That's going to be a red quilt! I don't want to make a pale background, so your choice is encouraging me. You have lovely fabrics.

oksewglad, Thanks! That was helpful. The Week 1 instructions are great if you are doing constant colors, but if I want mine scrappy the cutting is a bit different... And doing completely scrappy chains and circles is different than doing a constant chain and circle per each block. Scrappy is sorta complicated, or a bit more time consuming! lol But I think it will be a bit easier doing the chains and circles with the same print per each block...

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Thank you everyone I messed up I was going to make my chain blue. Lost my train of thought so will move forward with the circle being blue maybe or just be 2 color we will see. I have a lot of red scraps. Can't wait to see everyone's choices and progress.
    ​Christine

SBG and NZ- you need to join us! Most of us probably have too many projects going too haha

Wow, Frustratedquilter. I'm impressed! I'm about half-way finished with my 4-patches mostly because I'm trying to think through various color combinations for my blocks; don't want to have too many of one color, i.e., purple/background 4-patches. I'll probably end up with extra 4-patches - - - oh well - - -
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    oksewglad, Thanks! That was helpful. The Week 1 instructions are great if you are doing constant colors, but if I want mine scrappy the cutting is a bit different... And doing completely scrappy chains and circles is different than doing a constant chain and circle per each block. Scrappy is sorta complicated, or a bit more time consuming! lol But I think it will be a bit easier doing the chains and circles with the same print per each block...
    You're welcome, givio..ok

fq40...I feel your pain. I redrew my cutting diagrams on graph paper and I labeled the strips chain and circle, plus colored with red and pink colors. Looking at the pdf diagrams would confuse me! That being said...I still have to press and cut my background fabric.

Meanwhile I have a small quilt on the LA ready to quilt...I call it Waste Baskets...12 basket blocks and 6 plus connector blocks made from waste triangles!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I'm so anxious to start. I have white fabric on order but my blue is washed and ready to go. Love this pattern.

Ok, I think you have me interested since you and Givio, and SBG are doing it, I may want to tag along too, since I only have a dozen other things I could be doing, this looks like so much fun! and to have help is priceless! I will try to keep up, I like the scheduled posting every two weeks, love the pattern. Guess I had better wash up my scraps from my stash and get started if it alright to join, too?

Blog Entries
    I'm not the PTB in this thread...but I welcome you, QNS!

I still have to press background fabric...I got distracted...again. I have a small basket "thank you" quilt on the LA ready to quilt. Then selecting fabric for a second "thank you" quilt. I have fabric for 3 borders and now trying to find scraps for the blocks. Looking forward to getting started on this quilt as well.

Oh sew many projects, so don't feel guilty about starting another one, folks!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
    I have my Step #1 done. Doing Red Scrappy for background white for Chain and blue for circle. I think
    Name:  Burgoyne Surrounded Step1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  150.5 KB

It's going to be beautiful!
    Jane

Hi!

Thanks jclinganrey for the posting the first step!

I'm going scrappy, so my process is a bit different... but I still feel grateful for your company and your inspiration

I had a very bussy weekend and could'nt sew as much as I planned, but at least I managed to put another block together, here's a picture with the first one I made:

Name:  20181007_174530.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  102.0 KB

I'm a slow quilter and I'm sure this will cost me a lot of moons, but I really want to finish it. For keeping my sanity I've decided that my goal will be to do just one block a week (if possible). I work full time and I have more projects on the go that I need to finish soon, so I think I will do some ironing/cutting of scraps on the weekend and I'll try to do a bit of sewing over the week (even if it's only 15-20 minutes a day).

Frustratedquilter, I love your reds... can't wait for more pictures!

Silk, The feather quilting motif is lovely on the blocks of the quilt in the link you posted! There were lots of quilts sewn in this color scheme after 'Tone It Down' was published.
    Yes, givio... wow, I really love all those quilts. I aim to do something like that!

I've been doing enough scrappy stuff that I wanted to go a different route with this one. Decided to jump out of my comfort zone and do purple. Purple is my least favorite color - so I'm having a hard time deciding if this will look good or not. If you like purple, does this appeal to you?

Name:  IMGP4279.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  213.9 KB
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Silk yours is going to look so light and airy! One step at a time, right?

Macybaby...this is an interesting combination and I think it will be very striking when all is finished. It looked a little odd at first, but then I noticed you have one 9P cornerstone and sashing on the left side and top. The eye will definitely be drawn into the center of each block.

I have most of the basket quilt quilted...taking a break, make the binding and possibly sew it on. Then will cut my background pieces. Later.....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oh my! Just now seeing this and this has been on my "to do" list for years!!!! I'm working on another quilt which only uses 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 strips plus 5- 2 1/2 squares in a batik and black and I find myself with leftovers. I had the idea to make a scrappy with a black background but with these leftovers I'm wondering if they will work. I need to study the pattern to see if I have enough of the batik because I can't get any more. Any suggestions are welcome. It's not a good time for me, but I'll be following along and may join if I can squeeze it in.
    Jan

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast