Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 01-28-2023, 05:10 AM

Does it count as adding to your stash if someone gifts you a kit? I am really trying to lower my stash account and while I love the kit, it doesn't help. I guess the good side is: it is a kit so there is a plan already in place unlike the rest of my stash.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
Does it count as adding to your stash if someone gifts you a kit? I am really trying to lower my stash account and while I love the kit, it doesn't help. I guess the good side is: it is a kit so there is a plan already in place unlike the rest of my stash.
I suppose it is it an addition to your stash but it is not a purchase. If you like the kit, it will be a break even, fabric in and fabric out part of your stash. Enjoy your new work in progress! Wink, wink. I will move on to create a quilt top with the donated Civil War fabric I brought home yesterday. Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:59 PM

I spent the past week organizing my machine quilting rulers. I organized them on the shelving I have (rulers are each in sperate 14 x 14 x 1 plastic boxes), though if it is a 'set' I keep the set together in the same box. Then I typed out an index of all of the rulers and printed out pictures of each one of them.

I was having such a time when trying to decide what I wanted on the quilt because I couldn't remember what designs each machine quilting ruler would make. Now I can just look through my notebook, and then find it on my shelf by the index. Each box has a code on it ( company/number) Like Sew Steady Westalee... SSW1, SSW2 etc. or Quilter's Rule... QR1, QR2 etc. Thankfully I don't have any duplicates, even though they number quite a few.

I feel good about it, even though I had to put off actual quilting for a few days. I had decided to start organizing them (been wanting to for some time) when the power was out due to the winter storm. We lost power the three + days. Thank goodness we have a whole house generator hookup, so we had heat, water (well pump). I didn't want to use my machine off of the generator though, because sometimes it complains when the furnace and the well pump come on at the same time, and the lights sputter a bit. Didn't think it would be good for an expensive sewing machine! Spent the powerless days organizing and finally finished up and put the room back in order, then typed up the index today from my notes.

I'm having withdrawal issues from not quilting these past few days. So, bright and early tomorrow morning, guess what my plans are!

Opps, you can tell I'm tired. Meant to put this in the organizing forum....

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-28-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 PM

Almost at the end of the month and have not bought any fabric, yet (yay, me!). Stitched up 2 flannel baby rag quilts and today just gifted my sister-in-law 2 bags of fabric. I still have 2 boxes of fabric for the thrift store, although none of the boxed fabric is mine. It was part of an estate stash given to me. I have 2 quilts in progress which will not need any fabric for the tops. Not sure about the backing yet. I don't plan out the backing until the top is done. If I dig deep enough, I'm sure I'll find something that works.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
A little bit of this and that sometimes doesn’t combine well to make a quilt. If all of this is combined with a little bit of this at some place else into a a bigger pile it can combine.
This makes so much sense to me and is basically how my stash has grown to the size it has. I have often seen a great piece of fabric at a thrift store and not needed/wanted it really but bought it anyway and added it to the stash, smacking my head and thinking, "Why did I do that? I don't really like it/have anything that goes with it!" However, fast forward a year or two and all of a sudden some of these random pieces are playing very nicely with others and are allowing me to create without shopping. I am hoping to have some pictures to share soon - blocks are being made but I'm trying to hold off on sharing until I have a layout confirmed at least. In terms of the currently untouched stash, there are definitely a couple of "duds" in there right now, but who knows? Maybe their playmates will be at the thrift store one day. :-)

Some lovely and exciting stories being told here - even the ones involving a fall! I agree with the wisdom of "filling" up an order to get free shipping and wouldn't classify that as a fall any more than buying fabric needed to finish a current project. An extra-special congratulations to those who have made it to (almost) the end of the month without a single acquisition!
Old 01-31-2023, 04:59 PM

Two finishes for January. Both from stash. Pastel was a UFO (Ta Da!) and the green and white is an effort to put some 2.5" squares to use. Both will go to my local Project Linus organization.

Attached Thumbnails 2023-01-30-donation-pl-48x56-336-2.5-sq..jpg   2023-01-29-donation-43x53.jpg  
Old 01-31-2023, 05:11 PM

Beautiful WMUteach!!
Old 01-31-2023, 06:21 PM

WMUTeach: Very pretty! Congratulations on getting 2 finished.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:27 AM

WMUTeach - Think of how lucky the recipients of these two quilts are going to be! And - you've finished a UFO and pared down the stash at the same time!

It's now February 1 and we've all made it through the first month. Yeah for all of us!
Old 02-01-2023, 08:05 AM

(Head hanging) Went to PL yesterday and the closet was open and I was sucked in. Huge stack of 8" squares fell on top of me (not really but makes a good visual). Do I need to talk about the yardage for backing that was so neatly stacked ready for the taking?

Since it's all for PL I really don't feel bad but geeze, someone please stop me.

Having trouble sleeping since I think/worry about which pattern to use for which fab. I'm such a lost cause. My husband is no help. He was with me and never said, "Honey..."

Oh and in my defense, I did return fab that I didn't use. Does that help my cause?