Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
"Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns >

"Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns

"Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns

Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 AM

So...that's a bit different for sure..... Not a fan of it and will have to play a bit...
Old 05-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I played with this today and really couldn't think of much. I'm gonna see if I have a few small apples or eggs or something else to add to the table. I still think it looks bare.
Attached Thumbnails dsc04089.jpg  
Old 05-01-2019, 05:33 PM

You could do a basket of apples or peaches or even a pie. Or preserves. I've seen those all at Farmer's Stands.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 AM

NZ, I keep coming back to look at your blocks altogether. They look so pretty together. It keeps urging, nudging, yelling at me to get back to mine.

I wasn't happy completely with the way my last couple were. So, I took apart and re-did some of the work until I was happy with them.

I have come to the conclusion, that I just can't follow a pattern to save my life. So, here's a few that I'm working on. I'm still planning to do quilt-as-you-go. So a lot of things aren't sewn down. And, I'm working out what the sashing will be before I start quilting this time. I'm almost there though. I have almost figured where this quilt is taking me.

So, here's some pictures to hopefully inspire you to complete your Farm the way that NZ has inspired me.

My re-done barn. I only had to take apart half of it. lol I'm still looking for a tiny 1 to 1.5 inch block to put on the Silo.

My version of Edna's Feedsacks. Not my original idea. Someone off Facebook inspired me to do it this way. But, I still think it's going to be cute when it's all sewed down. I think she will have some tiny flowers in her hand when I have finished embellishing.

Last edited by Judith1005; 05-06-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:18 AM

I re-did my pumpkin and made it smaller. I did not want a ginormous pumpkin on my farm. I also added more orange/orange fabric to make it look more like I wanted it to. I'm just in general happier with this version of my pumpkin.

I also re-did Joy again. I'm seriously going to have an extra quilt of just pigs. But, I changed the design completely. I adapted a Rachel's of Greenfield pattern that I have had for years. "Crazy Pigs". I've wanted to make this pattern forever. So, Miss Piggy and Baby Piggy are making their debut in this quilt.

I have a horse in the works right now. It is hilarious. Every farm needs the one "crazy" off beat animal on it. Well, Horsie is going to be it.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
I played with this today and really couldn't think of much. I'm gonna see if I have a few small apples or eggs or something else to add to the table. I still think it looks bare.
Lawson, I do like your fruit stand. But, I think I'm going to substitute a vegetable block that I found an interesting pattern for on the net. Initially, I found a vegie pattern in the new Farm Girl 2 Book that is coming out. And, where the book is darling, I didn't want to purchase it just yet. (It's not officially out yet.) So, finding these other patterns on etsy was just a plus. Here's a link to the patterns I just purchased. I thought 2.50 for the PDF patterns was reasonable. Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting the links. I am not affiliated with the seller. I just liked the patterns. I thought I would make 2 of each blocks in the 6" size and make them into one block for the farm quilt.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4801500...search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6183955..._home_active_1
Old 05-06-2019, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Judith., your ideas are so cute. yes, the original pumpkin was huge... I like yours
Old 05-06-2019, 05:05 AM

Oh, your blocks are sooo cute, Judith!!! I love the piggies in the cornfield! And your wooly sheep with Sunbonnet Sue is darling! I agree, a smaller pumpkin fits the scale much better. You have been busy!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I added a banner of triangles under the canopy. It filled in some of the big empty feeling. My machine went nuts on me. So now I have just my 66 and 99 to sew on. One only goes forward with straight stitch and the other has a reverse too. Of course no zig zag so no Applique work for now. Judith your blocks are adorable. One thing I don't care about is how some blocks are one big item and others have a lot to them. I think that is why some of us keep adding to them too or lose interest. Over all I like them. I love the veggie blocks on the link.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 AM

Okay ladies, Initially, I said no brown. Lol, the jokes on me. I needed brown for my crazy horsie. Look what I found at the thrift store the other day. These two pieces were loosely quilted together. I stich ripped them apart and washed them. Perfect for my horse. I am working on him today.

If anyone needs any brown. I have a 15 x 17 patchwork piece to share. I'm only using a small piece. I can't believe this showed up right when I needed it. That like never happens to me. It must have been meant to be. I'm going to make my chicken yellow and white.

I'm so excited to be working on this again.