Newbies challenge

Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Having just joined this wonderful forum (today) and having taken my first quilting class just a year ago I think I qualify as a newbie in need of a mentor/mommy! I'm so green I don't even know what half of the abbreviations are for. I thought I was so smart when I learned that a FQ was a fat quarter. But what's FM (I presume not a radio station!) :)
I live in the middle of Canada: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (look me up on your map) and I have no friends who quilt. Do you wanna be my friend? :-D
Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Deny
Having just joined this wonderful forum (today) and having taken my first quilting class just a year ago I think I qualify as a newbie in need of a mentor/mommy! I'm so green I don't even know what half of the abbreviations are for. I thought I was so smart when I learned that a FQ was a fat quarter. But what's FM (I presume not a radio station!) :)
I live in the middle of Canada: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (look me up on your map) and I have no friends who quilt. Do you wanna be my friend? :-D
I'd be happy to help you, if you'd like. Send me a Private Message (PM)...the learning begins! If you aren't sure how to do that (it took me forever) look at the very top of the page..2nd line...private messages. Patt
Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Doiel
Adopt me too! I am not a beginner but I am unable to finish my own projects. I hand quilt for a living, and I finish them but get distracted and off track of my own work. Nudges seriously needed.
Ah, the shoemaker's children syndrome. We are all in a big, leaky boat together. Just keep paddling and be kind to yourself.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 AM

I am new to the board as well and would love to be adopted , I have done lap quilts and baby quilts .. Just finished a queen size Rag quilt , very pretty but not quite quilting !! So if anyone would be so kind and adopt me I would very much appreciate it ...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 AM

I have the same halloween panel and have been trying to figure out what to do with it great idea !!!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would love to help someone, however mitre's and FMQ are my two weaker links :wink: and I do not handquilt...
I do love to paper piece, as well as piece and applique :D:D:D
This is the way I mitre: When stitching the first layer of the binding to the front side of the piece, (quilt, pot holder, whatever) when I come to a corner, I stitchall the way to the corner, then continue stitching around the corner. When the first step of binding is complete, at each corner cut the corner tip off diagonally. If it is a small piece, when I come to the corner, I take the tape all the way to the corner and tack at the corner edge, this keeps the tape from shifting and can be removed when finished if so desired. At this point, I hold the triangle made by the taking in the corner and squeeze it to make a neat fold, then lap it over to the right (I suppose if you are left handed you would lap it to the left.) tack in place. The secret to making a neat mitre is to not let the tape slip or bunch up.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 AM

I would love to be adopted! PM me please!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Hi everyone (smile)

page 72! Wow,is there any mommys left?(lower lip quiver) lol..I am very much a newbie..I just joined a few mins ago and came straight to this thread lol...
Background - I am a hairstylist+ self taught Muralist/Custom faux finisher...I am in the process of finishing my first 9 patch quilt(with some help from a book and pointers from my cousin)..I am having one heck of a time with the actual quilting part(grrr)..However, I am stubborn and wont give up=tunnel vision lol..
I always bite off more than I can chew (my first quilt albeit a 9 patch is between twin and full size) I spent way too much on materials for the first quilt as well lol..
The artist in my is strongly attracted to curves/circles/ as opposed to squares etc (repeating>> walk before you run lol)I like the unusual opposed to the traditional..looove color.. I am not a purist at all..If it's durable,I'll use it lol...I have boarders and mitered corners down pretty good..But, am at a loss as to which way to go with choosing further learning methods that are easiest/effective (youtubed till I'm crosseyed) who makes the best templets/method ie: kaye wood etc..Paper piecing? So much to learn
Do I sound like anyones kid out there? lol

(pause)..... Did I mention that I talk alot?...Thanks guys, excellent thread
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM

I definitely would like to be adopted!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Me too, Me Too!! Id like a new mommy too!!!

(Southern MO here.. )
I would be happy to adopt you! Us Missouri girls have to stick together. Just shoot me a PM if this works for you.

Sheila