Newbies challenge

Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi, Im a newbie to forums... not quilting! I've made about 20 quilts and Im totally in love with this craft :P

I've tried, painstakingly to do a crazy quilt with the paper piecing method.
What Ive noticed is that it is important to use scraps that are slightly bigger ..... might sound obvious, but...... I would be so grateful for some more advice . Seems you also need to start in the centre and work in rounds??
Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 AM

I feel so much better knowing some of you like me are new to this. I know nothing but determined to learn..any help is appreciated.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 AM

ON crazy quilts, I use muslin for the foundation. It is much like pp in that I sometimes will make the connection a straight seam.you can make blocks and join or if you dont use a foundation just keep enlarging to make the size quilt you want. Does this make sense ? Oh how I wish you lived close to me so I could show you,it is soooo easy. Jolo
Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 AM

Please remember the topic.

This one is for people who want to "adopt" or "be adopted" inorder to learn quilting techniques.

If you want to just talk about different techniques it would be best to start a new topic. Like the one for Paper Piecing. That one is a really nice chat about that technique.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 AM

I am new to the forum and pretty new to quilting. I started out with panels that only had to be bound (how is that for "beginner"?) I have moved up to applique and machine piecing but haven't tackled anything beyond easy or beginner rated patterns yet. All of my completed quilts I hand tied, machine quilting has me spooked. My last two quilts I sent off to a long-arm quilter. I would love to be adopted, but if I know something I could share with another I'd love to help.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Newbie question: Can anyone suggest some tutorial websites that have pictures, not just written instructions? I am one of those who needs to "see" what something look likes?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I dearly love teaching newbies, or anyone who needs a helping hand. I have been quilting and piecing for lo these many years and have made at least a thousand quilts. I am still learning also. It is an ongoing thing. I mostly do hand piecing and quilting. But I also do machine. In fact going to the machine more and more since I am a VERY senior citizen.I still have so many I want to make. lol jolo
1000 quilts?!!! Go girl! I am arriving on the quilting scene due to the arrival of numerous grandbabies. Started out with intentions of hand-embroidering crib quilts but they are time consuming. So far only 2 grandbabies have received them and I have 13! 14 will be here any day, 15 will arrive the end of August and 16 is unconfirmed but suspected for November! Had to move to something faster so made a couple of big block quilts, panels, and have just stepped up to some basic blocks like 4-patch, framed squares, etc. Just finished a top of Candy Jars. Need to add borders (does anyone know where I can get some Jelly Bean fabric??) I love to applique so my next project is a flip-flop quilt for my daughter. Right now my favorite part is stash building! I don't have much imagination though and really need to follow a pattern. I can use all the hints and tips I can get. Kudos to the "adopt a newbie" idea!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi Gramma O,
Here are a couple of web sites for you - they have excellent tutorials.

www.about.com/quilt About.com offers tutorials, block designs, quilt designs, you name it, and it is covered. And all the information is FREE.

www.quiltville.com
The navigation bar runs vertically along the left side, so scroll down to Tips & Tricks, choose one of several tutorials that are all fantastic. This site also offers free blocks, free layouts, it is a great site!

Hope this helps,
CasaManana
aka Vicky :D
Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 PM

That is an adorable quilt, I have all the same fabrics I love it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
pac

:) Very nice quilt