Newbies challenge

Old 06-13-2010, 06:43 AM

I want to be adoped too! I'm currently working on my 2nd project and just started quilting the night of my first quilt class on Feb 2, 2010. Since I've already posted 3-4 questions to the board asking for help.....I think I need a Mommy. Can someone adopt me please??? I'm a well behaved 47yr old mother/wife/nurse who doesn't run with scissors (worked in an ER for 15yrs and know better). I'm already addicted and am having the time of my life quilting. Please, please, please.........
Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Lori, I pm'd you -- would be happy to have 'twins'! - you & Roxie! Haven't seen the list of match ups lately but if you're not already 'taken' - you have a new mommy :)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Jen

Wow, such a generous concept for those who jump in ! Thank you ! I'm up for adoption. :D I shouldn't be that difficult, as I'm not entirely a newbie, however, I haven't yet finished my first real (bed) quilt, which is in hibernation due to the fact that I didn't know what I was doing, and so, I consider myself a newbie.

I love traditional style Amish quilts, and to me, that means mostly that I use solids and work with color relationship more between murks and brights, (love the black too), and of course, make intentional mistakes ! I also feel it's necessary to do hand quilting to have the affect I like, though I must admit, piecing tops with machine is the way I go ! I love the center diamonds, the center squares, and variations of them, and my DH loves anything nine-patch. So I'm focusing on those motifs. Are there any hand-quilters among you?

I probably am doing everything wrong, but I seem to not want to get too hung up on the do's and dont's just yet... but will definitely need a mentor sometime , soon likely, as I am revisiting that bed quilt in hibernation. I want to tie it off, forget the handquilting, finish it and start another, done correctly.

I am from California, far, far away from Pennsylvania, but my DH was born there, and is a great-grandson of a real Amish family, and we both love, love, love the farm-feel of their lifestyle, not to mention their amazing quilts.

I have so much *more* to say about what I love in the Amish quilts, and quilts in general, but will save it for next post.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM

I hand piece and quilt,have for years. I also do work on the machine because it is faster,and at my age I still NEED to make many more quilts lol .
Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Maybe, Jen, you could start a thread about Amish quilts... Then it would not get lost in the midst of the adoption info and many more people would see it, I think.

Maybe there are others out there who concentrate on the same type of quilts - hmmm?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM

I seem to be a very lucky woman and have been adopted by 2 Mom's!!! Montanablu and ShirleyT. I have more than enough questions to go around and my mother will tell you "she's enough to keep 3 mother's busy." If it's okay with everyone, I'd love to share.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Lori, I pm'd you --- of course you can have 2 moms! We can never have enough quilting moms -- they teach & encourage & love us even when we have to rip!!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by montanablu
Lori, I pm'd you --- of course you can have 2 moms! We can never have enough quilting moms -- they teach & encourage & love us even when we have to rip!!
I'm not the only one who has to rip??? That's a relief!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
Originally Posted by montanablu
I'm not the only one who has to rip??? That's a relief!
You're not the only one - I call my ripper 'froggy' - rippit, rippit :oops:
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM

I am looking for someone!