Newbies challenge

Old 05-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Hey RedQueen, we have alot in common! I taught paper piecing for 3 yrs. but all i do is hand quilting. You get faster at it as you pratice. If you want any patterns I have a ton, let me know! Happy to share
Originally Posted by redqueen
Is it too late to be adopted??? I can paper-piece have no patience with piecing by machine except for paper, love hand-quilting except that it takes me years to finish...I am terrified of machine quilting but do it even though I think my poor work kinds of wrecks my quilts, LOL! what do I expect, I don't even drop my feed dogs... someone who can help me with machine quilting would be a real blessing!
:lol: :lol:
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM

When you make your mini quilts, do you paper piece?
Originally Posted by Alisapao730
I am a newbie too. As I read the messages, i don't understand what is ment by FM,FMQ, PP etc...... I am practicing different blocks making mini quilt wall hangings, pot holders, and hand bags. When I get confident, I want to make Bad Quilts. But first, Can you tell me how to attain PATIENCE! I seem to want to start a project now and have it finished yesterday! LOL!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

i am generally able to teach myself how to do new things as i am learning, however i would love someone to teach me how to do applique if someone is willing :) PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE :)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kerri
i am generally able to teach myself how to do new things as i am learning, however i would love someone to teach me how to do applique if someone is willing :) PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE :)
I used the freezer paper method to learn applique until I got good enough to do needle turn. Have you tried that? I showed that to Anglgrl who is also learning hand applique. I took a series of pictures to show the method if you want to try it.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 AM

Kerri, When I first learned to applique,My DM told me to trace an object out of my coloring book ,I did , then I put it on the back side of fabric only we called it material back then. lol . pinned of course since fusible stuff was not even thought of. Cut out allowing approx 1/8 in to turn under. I also basted the turn under,now I do needle turn. place it on the fabric u r going to app it onto. Now u again have a choice. The old fashioned way to appy is to do a button hole stitch with black embroidery floss. Or a small hidden hem stitch. Do you embroidery? If not go to the library or on the internet and look at how to do these stitche. u can google them. Does any of this make sense to u. If not pm me and we will see what else we can do . Just remember u r talking to a granny whe is not computer literate. Jolo
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
Kerri, When I first learned to applique,My DM told me to trace an object out of my coloring book ,I did , then I put it on the back side of fabric only we called it material back then. lol . pinned of course since fusible stuff was not even thought of. Cut out allowing approx 1/8 in to turn under. I also basted the turn under,now I do needle turn. place it on the fabric u r going to app it onto. Now u again have a choice. The old fashioned way to appy is to do a button hole stitch with black embroidery floss. Or a small hidden hem stitch. Do you embroidery? If not go to the library or on the internet and look at how to do these stitche. u can google them. Does any of this make sense to u. If not pm me and we will see what else we can do . Just remember u r talking to a granny whe is not computer literate. Jolo
My nana taught me the same way! She called it a basket stitch and said to use coloring book shapes becasue they are larger and easier to deal with. She also said to spray starch the piece before turning under the seam allowance as the starch made it easier. Freezer paper method I learned from one of my books (Georgia Bonesteel????). Thank goodness for gannies as they are our best source of wisdom!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
Maybe the editor of this site could give a brief lesson on using the color wheel for us who are color challenged.
I definitely second this request
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 AM

I have a color wheel and I still get confused, especially with patterned fabrics. I usually end up selecting one patterned fabric for inspiration and then use the dots on the selvage for the complimentary colors. BUT - those complimentary colors tend to be solids becasue I am so afraid to pick complimentary patterns! Help!!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I'll join in - I could use some help on choosing colors and how on earth do you miter bindings????? I can offer my skills at strip piecing, hand and machine applique and a couple of sew as you go techniques......

Anything I learn I can also pass along to my adoptee Anglgrl who is undertaking the challenge of hand applique!
I learned to miter bindings from the Fons & Porter video.
Also, go to QNNTV.com They have tons of everything you could ever need to know about quilting. There is a small fee to join, but it is well worth it. Let me know if this helps.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM

I have the Better Homes and Gardens book (can't remember the total name) but that is how I learned to do mitered corners. I highly recommend it. Loads of color pictures too.