Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2017 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2017-ufo-challenge-month-t284858.html)

Janice McC 06-27-2017 09:08 AM

LOVE all the recent pictures! There are a lot of finishes happening. If you could do me a favor and let me know if you are posting a "finish" or a "UFO finish", it would be VERY helpful. Remember, "UFO'ness" is determined by you. For me, a UFO is something that's been sitting at least a year untouched. For others, it's less time, for some, more time. If you don't tell me it's a UFO or indicate a date longer than a year, I'm going to think it's a regular finish so please specify UFO. THANK YOU!!!

Sophie2 06-27-2017 09:31 AM

Janice C - my #1319 I would like to consider as a UFO finish as I have had the material and plan for about 4 years. Just got motivated when I needed a thank you gift. If you would consider it more of a finish, that is OK with me as well.

anne2016 06-27-2017 10:09 AM

Janice McC......I consider#1177(Garlic Knots)a recent finish as it was started in early 2017 and # 1318 a UFO finish.

Janice McC 06-27-2017 11:34 AM

I saw the date in your #1318 post and added it to June's finishes. Thanks!

Originally Posted by anne2016 (Post 7852697)
Janice McC......I consider#1177(Garlic Knots)a recent finish as it was started in early 2017 and # 1318 a UFO finish.

Janice McC 06-27-2017 11:36 AM

Sophie2, as long as you feel it is a UFO, it's a UFO. :) Congrats on your UFO finish! Toot, Toot! (

Originally Posted by Sophie2 (Post 7851993)
Yesterday while watching TV with my DH I was able to get the binding stitched down on this quilt. It will be gifted to my MIL's neighbor. Last Christmas my MIL fell on the back porch (in Ohio) and laid on the porch for 1 1/2 hours before the neighbor found her. Luckily she was wearing a coat and suffered only (?) a broken arm. After Christmas the neighbor returned from a trip and sent me a text stating that he hadn't seen her for a bit and wondered if he should check on her. She was staying at her other son's house, so all was OK. I thought it was really nice that he was watching out for her. I had this fabric around for some time and thought it would make a perfect "thank you" gift.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575363[/ATTACH]

Janice McC 06-27-2017 12:22 PM

DebJ, all four of these really are wonderful and unique. Congratulations and Toot, Toot on all 4 UFO finishes!

Originally Posted by DebJ (Post 7851155)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575294[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575295[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575296[/ATTACH] This is the other three. First is the Dad's (made from his Mom's shirts) Second a woman relative (can never remember name). Third for oldest son and younger son is the one above in other post.

Originally Posted by DebJ (Post 7851151)
Trying again. I recently finished the last one of 4 throws ordered. They were made from dress shirts, in memory of a lost love one. Interesting to do & glad they were liked. Thankful the job is complete.[ATTACH=CONFIG]575293[/ATTACH]

Janice McC 06-27-2017 12:26 PM

Barbm, my apologies...I missed your two finishes (post #1224) for June. One you simply moved to a new home...that's a finish. And the second was the lap quilt for your granddaughter. Congratulations and Toot, Toot for your UFO finishes!

Originally Posted by Barbm (Post 7838419)
I've caught up on all the posts here, going to join you. Haven't been on the board in over a year or so. Still quilting but need some incentive to get those UFOs under control. Not sure how many there are- I keep them in a cubby in my fabric area. I did complete one- by boxing it up with the backing fabric and sent it to my friend in FL (I am in PA). Take that you stupid UFO. I made a queen, throw, beach bag, tote and purse for a fund raiser this year so I'm ready to attack some stuff. I'm taking a class on how to use my long arm next week so the goal is to finish up 3 tops I have waiting to be quilted. When doing the fund raiser I cut out 3 other queen size quilts (they didn't seem happy enough for the fund raiser) so I don't want them to become ufos, so I will make them up (one will be taken apart to become scrap fabric, I really didn't like it). One is sold and I want one for my bed. I also took a lap size quilt I made 2 years ago and added more quilting to it and my granddaughter's name so that's a UFO gone! (forgot to take a pic). First to finish some baby gifts for a shower this Saturday... keep posting, loving your finishes!

Janice McC 06-27-2017 12:34 PM

OK, Train Riders...I think i'm all caught up. I picked up an earlier missed post that gave us two additional finishes. That's a relief. I let the tally get away from me. I believe we're back on track. (See what I did there?)

BTW, if anyone spots a mistake in my tally or your UFO finish goes unacknowledged after a long period of time, say a week or more, do not hesitate to pm me and set me straight! LOL. Thanks to everyone who is continuing to work on their UFOs. Me, I've come to a screeching halt on mine, so close to the finish. Life just kind of comes up and bites us in the fanny every once in a while, doesn't it?

Belfrybat 06-28-2017 08:02 AM

Wow! Fabulous finishes, everyone. Rob - your piping is great. I found a method to do a "faux" piping where the entire binding is done by machine -- my kind of stitching! The binding was cut in two contrasting pieces with one being wider than the other. Sewed together and pressed in half. Then sewn to the back. When folded over the quilt, the "piping" showed. When sewed by machine, the stitches were hidden in the seam. Apparently this kind of technique even gets by the quilt show police.

As for me I have two finishes. Will be back in a sec to post pics.

Belfrybat 06-28-2017 08:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two more finishes. The first is made of swap blocks I participated in early last year. The second is my very first string quilt made when I first started quilting 6 years ago. I packed it away and had forgotten it. The first is a gift to someone on another board, the strings is a charity quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575439[/ATTACH]