Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

ddtrina 12-09-2016 08:26 PM

SkubaK, figure you need 168 little tiny squares of each piece that make the 4 piece. 168 squares divided by 20 per strip gives you 8.4 strips so cut 9 strips of each (if you're using different shades of purple for each tiny square within the 4 patch). If you're using the same fabric for both lavender pieces and the same fabric for both purple pieces (like Jeanne S did in post 693 above), 17 strips of each color will give you enough tiny squares.

Jeanne S 12-10-2016 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK (Post 7715588)
OK..
I love looking at everyones pics but now I have a question.
If you are using yardage, and getting approx. 20 2" pieces from the WOF Strip....how many strips do I need to cut to get my 4 patches for clue 3?
Please help
Kirsten

I am making only 1/2 the size, and I used 8 full strips and a partial one of each color so to do all it would be 17 as Lisa states.

Macybaby 12-10-2016 06:26 AM

I got to cutting my darks - and realized I'd calculated for all squares, and only needed half in the dark!

I had figured I'd need about 36 strips total, and I'd already cut 20 . . . so I wasn't too far away from the 18 that would be for the dark. I've got the 18 lights cut now. Next step is to cut them down into smaller strips so I can do more mixing before I sew two together.

NZquilter 12-10-2016 07:35 AM

Well, this color choice is a bit of a challenge for me. I'm using green/turquoise in the place of purple, mainly because I made a purple quilt earlier this year and I got purpled out! Yet green is not my favorite go-to color either. I choose it mainly because I had it in my stash... Surprise, surprise!
So yesterday while I was sewing the strips together the colors seemed to be screaming at me; I felt like I was making a mistake. I just kept telling myself that this green will be evenly distributed throughout the quilt and who knows, maybe one of my children will grow up loving green! I do love the fabrics prints, so hopefully it will work. After I walked away from it and then came back, I liked the colors again. Isn't color funny that way? I'll post a pic once I have my four patches done, and I'll be interested to see what you all think:)
I am enjoying the challenges this MQ has!

ScubaK 12-10-2016 07:58 AM

Thank you all for the help! This helps me with my fabric choices as I am trying to use all fabric from my stash and not buy any! Ok, I had to buy some neutrals...but that is all....I hope!
Thank you again.
Kirsten

Bluebonnets 12-10-2016 08:18 AM

Everyone's units are looking great and I love the layouts shown. I am really enjoying this mystery. I have about 60 units made and hope to finish the rest today.

lawsonmugs 12-10-2016 08:33 AM

Leslie,yes they are mostly batiks. There is a difference in them. In the picture some look quite alike. Jeannie, those are very pretty together.

lawsonmugs 12-10-2016 08:36 AM

Oh Jeanne, I sorry about misspelling your name.

frustratedquilter40 12-10-2016 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow beautiful work ladies!! I have been following along with the mystery but first time posting pictures. When I started clue # 1 I thought I would make 1/2. Then by the 2nd clue figured I would do 2/3 hopefully ending up with a large lap size or twin. So need to go back to first clue and make another 20 or 30.
I chose to switch a few colors as I do not have a large selection of purples and wanted to use what I had. So far I have used only out of my scrap saver system that BH uses. I switched out purple and used blue and magenta I used brown. I think I will stick with the green and yellow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563416[/ATTACH]

Jeanne S 12-10-2016 11:12 AM

Kassundra and Kristine---love your colors, it is so fun to see the different look of the quilts from you brave souls that take a different creative path!