Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

KalamaQuilts 01-01-2017 09:25 AM

gee, the final clue. Rats ;) Doing quarter size I should have something to show later today.

I have both my 365 blocks finished. I haven't cut my sorted material yet, I'm digging in my string buckets.
I need more scraps!

Kassaundra 01-01-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7730685)
I had the same thoughts--this pattern is so large, I am not sure how a 1/2 unit (in number, not size) will look??? I will work on assembling what I have, but I am thinking it will need to be full size to look right, so I will have lots of more units to make too! What do you all think??

The.finish.is.4.x.4.I.think.1/2.wouldn't.work.but.3.x.3.would.work.so.just.a.lit tle.bigger.than.1/2

sewbizgirl 01-01-2017 09:31 AM

I had the same thoughts--this pattern is so large, I am not sure how a 1/2 unit (in number, not size) will look??? I will work on assembling what I have, but I am thinking it will need to be full size to look right, so I will have lots of more units to make too! What do you all think??

I did half the units too. After seeing the reveal, I will have to make adjustments. I think 9 blocks will work out well, instead of 16. So that means I need to make pieces for one more block.

I'm not crazy about all the neutral 4 patches around the border, so I might fool around with eliminating the outer border and doing something else... or nothing.

Kassaundra 01-01-2017 09:35 AM

The more I think about the 3 x 3 (4x4 of the magenta stars) it would finish roughly 60 x 60 w/ a little extra border would fit a double bed. I would need to make a few extra but not ooodles and it would be a good size for what I need for a quilt.

joe'smom 01-01-2017 10:01 AM

I agree, 3x3 looks like a good option.

sewbizgirl 01-01-2017 10:03 AM

3x3 will come out at 69" square, if you do that second 4 square border past the star points. I am not doing that border so mine should come out at 63" square, unless I add a small border before I bind it. That's a fine size for me.

I keep looking at the colors and just don't feel happy. The green just disappears in the quilt. I like yellow, just not with pink and purple. It looks like a white, pink/purple, and yellow quilt to me. I think I may skip the yellow since we haven't cut it yet, and just use some more green, at least for the big squares she has you cutting in 4's. I can't think of any other color to sub that will work there and make me happy. I'll keep thinking on it, tho.

Kassaundra 01-01-2017 10:15 AM

That neutral 4 patch in the center of the big block is giving my OCD brain vapor lock!!!! That star / square (the whole big one) is so symmetric throwing that odd ball off kilter center is just killing me. I am going to change that to maybe a nice centered square in a square.

quiltsRfun 01-01-2017 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7730732)
That neutral 4 patch in the center of the big block is giving my OCD brain vapor lock!!!! That star / square (the whole big one) is so symmetric throwing that odd ball off kilter center is just killing me. I am going to change that to maybe a nice centered square in a square.

I had to do that with Grand Illusion. The 4-patch in the center of the windmill was too much for me. I did a pink square with a turquoise diamond. The extra 4-patches will go on the back when I get around do doing that. The picture shows a block along with my backing.

Kassaundra 01-01-2017 10:41 AM

QuiltsRfun that is much easier on the eyes, and the Grand Illusion could certainly apply Tim Gunn's rule of taking one thing off. lol

Belfrybat 01-01-2017 10:45 AM

I'm glad Bonnie suggests just making half the number of units for a smaller quilt. Otherwise it would be easy to end up with a lot left over. A 3 x 3 block pattern will work up to around a 60" square for a lap quilt. I think that is what I'll aim for. Which means making more of everything. Another option is a 3 x 4 pattern, which would make the finished quilt around 60 x 87". I prefer rectangular quilts, but not sure I want to make that many more units. Decisions, decisions.