Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

Belfrybat 01-01-2017 05:38 AM

I'm sorry she's done the reveal with so many steps left to finish. I'm through step five and will work on both colours of hour glass blocks today. I'm so glad I'm only doing a half size with all that is left to make. I haven't been pressing and trimming, so hopefully will get that done and something to post later today. Happy new year, everyone.

Skipastitch 01-01-2017 05:49 AM

Me too, this makes the first time I am behind. I still have both to do as well. I like the quilt so I am excited to see what my colors will look like.

Happy New Years.

pennycandy 01-01-2017 06:16 AM

So glad I decided to do this year's mystery. It has a look similar to Celtic Solstice which I love. I finished piecing clue 6 last night and am very happy that I subbed teal/turquoise for the green. I think it will really pop in the finished blocks.

JeanneS have fun on your trip. Glad you were able to see the reveal before leaving.

sewbizgirl 01-01-2017 06:21 AM

I knew it!! The last two MQs were revealed on New Year's Day. It's a pretty quilt!

Wow... it's a lolapalooza of a finale. So many things left to do. But she's giving an extra week before the 'link up', so people have something to show.

Macybaby 01-01-2017 06:51 AM

Kassaundra - I did the 365 challenge last year (finishing it up today). Though they are 3" and 6" blocks, some have well over 100 peices involved. The 3" were not too bad (I think the worst was about 50 pieces) most of the 6" are like doing 4 -3" blocks.

I used scraps - sorted into Light (mostly with white or cream background ) and darks. The contrast turned out very nice. Unfortunately it didn't really make a dent in my scraps, but then I kept adding to them all year long too.

The one big plus I found for doing it - it really increased my skill and I learned a lot about different block construction. But then I'm still rather new to quilting (not new to sewing though).

I have not started on the last BH clue yet, but hopefully later today or tomorrow.

AngeliaNR 01-01-2017 07:10 AM

The reveal is beautiful--I'd been a bit anxious about how the magenta would fit in, but I love it!

Kassaundra 01-01-2017 08:03 AM

I love this reveal, but it blows my plans right out of the water. I only made about 1/3 of the pieces b/c I was thinking she would do the alternating blocks that she loves to do, and I was going to do the center blocks in the color way I first chose then an outer "ring" of blocks in the same fabrics / colors but w/ the placement different. (so inner ones would have a dark neutral and outer ones a light etc... changing all the colors except the constant) But her oversized blocks w/ pieced sashing stopped me dead in my tracks on that thought. So the reveal is extra big for me b/c I have to go back and make all the ones I didn't make in the first place. I am switching up my "yellow" for me was a WOW fabric, I am changing it to a white background w/ a red (my constant) print that I can fussy cut.

Kassaundra 01-01-2017 08:06 AM

MacyB, how are those seams to quilt???? (for the 365) I don't mind piecing the tiny stuff my record is a 12 inch block w/ over 300 pieces (312 I think) but it isn't part of a quilt yet either, just a pieced block! lol

joe'smom 01-01-2017 09:12 AM

What an exciting reveal! It will be such fun to see these quilts as they take shape.

Jeanne S 01-01-2017 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7730624)
I love this reveal, but it blows my plans right out of the water. I only made about 1/3 of the pieces b/c I was thinking she would do the alternating blocks that she loves to do, and I was going to do the center blocks in the color way I first chose then an outer "ring" of blocks in the same fabrics / colors but w/ the placement different. (so inner ones would have a dark neutral and outer ones a light etc... changing all the colors except the constant) But her oversized blocks w/ pieced sashing stopped me dead in my tracks on that thought. So the reveal is extra big for me b/c I have to go back and make all the ones I didn't make in the first place. I am switching up my "yellow" for me was a WOW fabric, I am changing it to a white background w/ a red (my constant) print that I can fussy cut.

I had the same thoughts--this pattern is so large, I am not sure how a 1/2 unit (in number, not size) will look??? I will work on assembling what I have, but I am thinking it will need to be full size to look right, so I will have lots of more units to make too! What do you all think??