Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

NZquilter 01-01-2017 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am so excited about this reveal! It is probably her prettiest yet, IMO:) As soon as we got home from church I had to try out her layout. It's not sewn yet, but I couldn't wait! The neutral centers didn't look right to me, so I am going to use my magenta in its place. After reading that some are going to have extra work to make it 3x3, I am glad I ended up making 2/3 size, so I'll have 3x4.

pennycandy 01-01-2017 10:51 AM

In the intro Bonnie suggested that the greens should contrast with the yellow. After seeing her quilt, I now understand why she included that tip. Anything lighter than the Garden Spot paint chip tends to blend with the yellow. My teal/turquoise popped when I threw the units together to see how the finished block is going to look. Using a blue green really helps bring out the contrast to the yellow.

Kassaundra , I'm wondering how a pinwheel would look in the center instead of the four patch.

NZquilter 01-01-2017 10:55 AM

I love the idea of the neutral 4-patch boarder too! I've never done anything like it, so it'll be an interesting first:)

joe'smom 01-01-2017 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7730726)
I keep looking at the colors and just don't feel happy. The green just disappears in the quilt. I like yellow, just not with pink and purple. It looks like a white, pink/purple, and yellow quilt to me. I think I may skip the yellow since we haven't cut it yet, and just use some more green, at least for the big squares she has you cutting in 4's. I can't think of any other color to sub that will work there and make me happy. I'll keep thinking on it, tho.

I would also like the green to show up more. To me, the green was the grounding color for the quilt, so I'll have to think about ways to make it more prominent.

I did change the center unit of the Grand Illusion block to square in a square, and was never quite happy with it. This center 4-patch isn't bothering me, I guess because it's a neutral patch.

lawsonmugs 01-01-2017 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I did it again today. I put 2 neutrals in the #7 clue. I just went with it anyway. I am only making a table topper so I will make 4 large blocks. Here is my block and a picture of it with part of the border in the second picture. I'm happy with it. I did lose some of the pattern but it still is good for me. lol

lawsonmugs 01-01-2017 11:09 AM

I forgot to say those blocks are very pretty that were posted.

GramE 01-01-2017 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lawsonmugs, our quilt could be related! :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564742[/ATTACH]

NZquilts, I love yours. I wish my brain could do that.

joe'smom 01-01-2017 11:26 AM

lawsonmugs, did you mean to have your purple tri recs going the opposite way as Bonnie's?

lawsonmugs 01-01-2017 11:28 AM

Very pretty GramE. I lost the green pattern in the middle when I made the block with the 2 neutrals instead of the 2 greens. My yellows are much brighter than they show. in fact all the colors are brighter. I'll try to lay it out in a different place and see how it looks.

GramE 01-01-2017 11:39 AM

Mine are pretty accurate as far as color goes. The sun is filling the room right now!