Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

joe'smom 01-03-2017 02:12 PM

Kassaundra, I vote for the black in the blue squares. Maybe you could do a mock-up test with scraps and take a photo before sewing, just to check?

Carol, Grand Illusion had a checkerboard element, too, and people had trouble with it feeling too busy. Had you considered removing the 4-patch from the main block center and using a single square there? I plan to choose very low contrast 4-patches for those spots. I think your quilt is looking lovely.

AngeliaNR 01-03-2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 7732375)
Angelia, that yellow face it too too funny! It's great. And love your colors. I am still torn on my yellow. I think the problem is that I need to find darker yellows that are not solids, like I pulled. Hope to see you Saturday morning!

Judy--a mix of yellows will be great. As a scrappy quilter you know, the more the better. Two of three are hard to coordinate, but ten or twelve coordinate themselves!

See you Saturday--I'm excited to begin.

KalamaQuilts 01-03-2017 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 7731072)
KalamaQuilts, love your arrangement and colors. I always admire your work...you have a great eye. Can't wait to see your finish.

I can't take any credit at all, I followed Bonnie's suggestions this year :) She really does have an eye. During quiltcam not too long ago she showed a couple of blocks she'd been working on, it looked like the house Jack built. Ick when the quilt was shown it was one of the neatest ones she'd ever done in my book.

I've got mine 1/2 assembled and it will be too big to hang on the loft so I'm going to do something with a couple more borders and use is as one of my new inventions :) Quilt tops around 70" X 50" just backed with flannel. All these many many years I've always had a sheet or some cover of some kind because we've all have cats and dogs. I don't know why I didn't think of it 40 years ago :) Quilts to show and still protect the bed quilts I've made two already in the last two months.

the first is Strings on Steroids, sanity stitching while my mother was here with late stage dementia. The second is my go at the lozenge challenge, using more strings for sashing. If you can stretch it to see the corners, this is something I do fairly often with bonus triangles. I lay them on to of the block, stitch down leaving a little less that 1/4 in free. Then trim off the bulk on the back. They just ruffle a little bit in the wash, don't ravel because they were cut on the bias to begin with. I think the blue cornerstones in the Strings will show it better.

AngeliaNR 01-03-2017 04:16 PM

Did you do an orts jar this year? I have so been looking forward to seeing it! :)

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7732717)
I can't take any credit at all, I followed Bonnie's suggestions this year :) She really does have an I. During quiltcam not too long ago she showed a couple of blocks she'd been working on, it looked like the house Jack built. Ick when the quilt was shown it was one of the neatest ones she'd ever done in my book.

I've got mine 1/2 assembled and it will be too big to hang on the loft so I'm going to do something with a couple more borders and use is as one of my new inventions :) Quilt tops around 70" X 50" just backed with flannel. All these many many years I've always had a sheet or some cover of some kind because we've all have cats and dogs. I don't know why I didn't think of it 40 years ago :) Quilts to show and still protect the bed quilts I've made two already in the last two months.

playswithcolor 01-03-2017 04:46 PM

I was keeping up with the clues and thought I had until this Friday to finish the hourglass blocks. Yikes. Now I am sooo behind. I like the look of someones layout who changed the yellow squares to yellow/purple HSTs. I havent finished all of the different units so I have to wait to play and see what mine will look like.

I really expected weekly clues until the quilt top was finished. Sigh.

Podunk Princess 01-03-2017 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clue 6 done; Clue 7 pieces cut and ready to sew.....making progress slowly but surely. It's been fun seeing everyone's versions of this quilt both here and on the Facebook group. There is going to be quite a variety of design choices and colors. Can't wait to see more as they are completed. Hopefully, I will be able to get the last clue done tomorrow so I can start putting blocks up on the wall and see what I've got.

Pagzz 01-03-2017 06:30 PM

Joe's Mom,

I like your use of the constant in the QST block and yellow in the star centers. It melds the colors, I think.

NZquilter 01-03-2017 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First row done, three to go! I'm loving the process and seeing everyone's colors and differnt twists and tweaks.

Belfrybat 01-03-2017 07:04 PM

NZ quilter -- I really like your rendition -- the circle effect is brilliant. Did you just change the QSTs in the sashing to tri-recs to get that effect?

joe'smom 01-03-2017 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 7732825)
Joe's Mom,

I like your use of the constant in the QST block and yellow in the star centers. It melds the colors, I think.

Thanks, Pagzz. Taking a look at things today, I decided to stick with the lavender QSTs. I thought the constant focused too much attention on the block center, and I didn't want to lose the overall look of Bonnie's design. I'll wait until I have it all laid out before I decide on the yellow secondary stars. Working on clue #6 today. Can't wait to start laying out my blocks.