Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

sewbizgirl 11-21-2016 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 (Post 7703515)
SBGirl/ Bonnie- Thank you so much, or should I say you're welcome. :)

I was looking at your Etsy- lovely items you've got there. I love the Kaleidoscope quilt that you made! I have a Craftsy class in my wishlist for that technique. And it's not like I haven't purchased oodles of classes before... Was it hard to do? Did you teach yourself?

It's not hard at all... the only tricky part is getting your layers lined up before you cut, but once you do that one time, it's a breeze. I've done both the square 4-patch quilts and also the 6-patch hexagonal ones. They can be addictive!

I learned how to layer and make the cuts from a Bethany Reynolds video online, and the rest is just kind of intuitive. You use 4 layers if you are making the square 4-patches. For the hexagons, you layer 6 layers and cut equilateral 60 degree triangles with a 60 degree ruler. Then you get to play with which corner to put towards the center. The same corner in all 4 or 6 pieces needs to point to the center. That's really all there is to it!

Here is Bethany's layering video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vusz5Rx5tkQ
She is teaching it as a guest on Kaye Wood's TV show.

sewbizgirl 11-21-2016 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 7703569)
Just put the final stitches in the binding on my Allietare! Never thought I would get it finished before this year's mystery begins, but here it is...

Wow! Fantastic Allietare! This makes me want to get mine finished... I'm even rethinking the scalloped binding after seeing yours. I wasn't going to do it, but yours looks so good.

sewbizgirl 11-21-2016 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini (Post 7703551)
My fabric pack from Whittles arrives today. I'll be ready!

Please show it to us!

oldcatlady 11-21-2016 03:05 PM

I'm doing the Mystery this year, also. My first one. I'll post my fabrics soon but just wanted to say I have extra paint chips if anyone needs them. I know it's kinda late but some don't start their quilts right away. Just pm me if you need them. :)

AngeliaNR 11-21-2016 03:08 PM

Beautiful Allietare--I like the green!

Podunk Princess 11-21-2016 05:46 PM

Our first clue is almost here. Only 4 more sleeps and we get to start this year's mystery quilt. There are many "alumni" this year and lots and lots of "newbies" to our mystery quilt thread. Can't wait to see everyone's weekly progress photos, especially those of you who have chosen alternate colors.

Splinter 11-21-2016 06:29 PM

It is certainly inspiring to see all the color schemes that have been chosen for this mystery. Like many of you, I am counting down the days until Friday. I found a mystery novel set in Aix-en-Provence that was written by M. L. Longworth. I ordered a copy, and it is also expected to be delivered on Friday. I think this quilt project and book series will be nicely paired.

All2Pieces 11-21-2016 07:11 PM

Splinter - What's the title of the book? Does it come in audio? I like to listen to books while I sew. Reading the actual book takes time away from sewing, don'tcha know.

Cheers!
MJ

retiredteacher09 11-21-2016 07:14 PM

I am joining in and this will be my first BH mystery. I pulled the fabrics for last year's mystery but never started it. My son's wedding quilt took precedence. :). I will do 1/2 or 2/3's of the quilt blocks.

My fabrics were pulled when the intro was revealed. After seeing all of the lovely fabrics in this thread, I may go back through my small stash.

Until Friday........

Connie

sewbizgirl 11-22-2016 07:34 AM

Yes, it's exciting. Now only three more sleeps! I'll be out of town at my daughter's house for Thanksgiving, but you can bet I will dive right in on the weekend, as soon as we get back home.

I hope we all post lots of progress pics as we go along!

"Welcome", to the newbies... we have a great time every year.