Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

audsgirl 01-29-2017 06:22 PM

You did a fantastic job, Average quilter! It looks stunning. Will you send it out to be quilted? I can't imagine making it even bigger if you will quilt it yourself on a regular sewing machine as I will. Is this a keeper, or do you have plans to give it to someone?

Leslie

m-fay 01-29-2017 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've just finished steps 6&7. [ATTACH=CONFIG]567091[/ATTACH]

joe'smom 01-30-2017 06:51 AM

avgquiltr, that is beautiful! I still haven't decided what, if anything, I'll do with the border. Yours looks great.

Very pretty, m-fay!

Mariposa 01-30-2017 08:24 AM

avgquiltr~ your version is sew pretty!!

avgquiltr 01-30-2017 10:20 AM

audsgirl,
I will send the quilt out to a long armer. It will probably be a wedding present for one of our grandchildren; we have nine. I wanted it to be queen sized.
Yesterday on her blog, Bonnie Hunter said, "I LOVE pieced borders. I do. I think you know that. If there is going to be a border I like it to really make a statement, and if it is pieced, it ends the quilt right there. Very rarely is there a “plain fabric” border outside of my pieced one. Usually because the quilt is already reached maximum size! And because I feel the statement made by a pieced border is somehow diminished and minimalized by the addition of a plain fabric border outside of it."
I am a big fan of Bonnie Hunter and also love pieced borders. However, some years ago Alex Anderson said that it is helpful to always put a plain border as the last border after a pieced border, even if it is one inch wide. It helps with stability and makes it easier to put the quilt top in a quilting frame, either for hand or machine quilting.
I also like the look of a solid frame around my quilts. We are all different.

SuziSew 01-30-2017 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by avgquiltr (Post 7751850)
I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and looking at the pictures of your progress. I'm especially impressed by the alternate color schemes and block arrangements. I finished my top, making a few changes. I used a floral as the center of all the stars. I added one more row of 4 patches on the top and bottom to make a rectangle, then added a plain purple border.

Love your changes! Appears to me you are far more than an average quilter!! Amazing quilt!

audsgirl 01-30-2017 04:30 PM

Someone is going to be very happy to receive this gorgeous quilt, Average quilter! You may have a minor squabble on your hands, because everyone will want it. I can see the logic in Alex Anderson's reasoning for a solid fabric border beyond a pieced one. It makes sense to me to add stability. I'm hoping the binding on mine will aid in that regard, if I ever get it quilted!

Leslie

Podunk Princess 01-31-2017 09:44 AM

Gosh, our internet was down for a couple of days and I sure missed a lot of posts on here. It's great to see so many finished quilts for this year's mystery. They are all so beautiful.

I finished my top last week but haven't had a chance to get it laid out for a photo yet. We have a new puppy in the house and she gets in the way...a lot!

Tweety2911 01-31-2017 09:50 AM

Looking good Joe's Mom. Everyone's progress is coming along nicely!
Beautiful job Average quilter.....I really love the print you used in the stars in place of the 4 patches. Great Job!

Krisb 02-02-2017 11:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally pieced!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567362[/ATTACH]

I had cut a dark green border to calm it down and frame the center, but just changed my mind. I like the stars floating on the neutral 4 patches, and I am not certain the green goes with the binding. What say you all?

With green:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567363[/ATTACH]

Without:

Oh well, as Scarlett would say "I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day".