Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

WMUTeach 02-18-2020 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8361980)
I'm not using all those HST's on mine. It's busy enough!!!
I'll save them for something else, or a lot of somethings haha

My guild has about 8 or 9 who are making the BHMQ this year and all have "tons" of unused pieces. They are considering making another quilt using their scraps. That plan leaves no one with orphan blocks or orphan pieces. :D

SusieQOH 02-19-2020 05:34 AM

Good idea. I will either use mine or donate them to someone who will. I don't want to waste all that fabric.
Maybe I can make some sort of a top with all the pieces and use the HST's for the border.

Kaye 02-19-2020 05:44 AM

Double check

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 8361996)
Just finished my Frolic flimsy. It measures 105” square. So good to be back to the Board. Years ago I was victim to a scam that restricted by access.

Emma, I yout finish but unfortunately one of the blocks is not quite right. It's the center one on the top. If you haven't quilted it yet you may decide to fix it......or it can be a design decision! Mine is still on my floor as I assemble row by row! (Sorry but I would want someone to let me know if it were mine).

IrishNY 02-19-2020 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 8362096)
One of the reasons I started using just one fabric for each color a couple of years ago was to simplify the appearance and the process. It is true that her quilts are very detailed and take twice the time, if not more. I am kind of hooked. This was my seventh and after awhile it becomes hard to break the tradition. I read where one person increased the size of the units by a certain amount. I wasn’t sure that would work but thought it was a good idea. Normally I refuse to make any unit smaller than 2.5”, Bonnie is my one exception.

I too use yardage most years. If I include scraps, then it's only for one or two colors. BH's quilts are too busy for me to compound with too many fabrics. I haven't touched Frolic in weeks because of travel and work, but hope to get back to it this weekend. I've got about 15 of the blocks put together so far, so need to get focused and finish.

I've done 7 of Bonnie's MQ's and I thought Frolic was the most fussy, with more little pieces and extra instructions than usual. And none of the previous MQs had so many left over pieces. Usually I have to make a few more sections when putting it together rather than having lots extra. That said, I like the pattern and will like the finished product, although I will simplify the sashing and not put it on point so it's a bit less busy.

toverly 02-20-2020 04:17 AM

Ah, Frolic. Just another UFO. I admire all of you who completed your quilts. There is always next year. I regret not using yardage this year. Last year I did and loved it, it seems to control the tiny pieces and gives some sort of order.

SusieQOH 02-20-2020 06:18 AM

For all my complaining I really did enjoy doing this with all of you!!!
Next time I'm just going to use fewer fabrics. Bonnie's designs are so busy but I didn't realize how it would
turn out until it was too late.
I love scrappy quilts but hers are too much so (for me) :)

joe'smom 02-20-2020 09:20 AM

Every year I tell myself I will wait until the reveal so I can make choices with understanding, but I always get carried away and have to join the fun. Maybe next year. If I could make any changes to this year's quilt after the fact, it would be to use a single interesting neutral for that faux second block. I really like the quilts I've seen that have a distinctive constant neutral.

I did not find the mystery as much fun the year I used constant fabrics, but my fabrics weren't all that interesting. However, I could definitely appreciate the less busy appearance of the top. Some year I hope to find some really interesting constant fabrics to use.

origamigoldfish 02-20-2020 05:27 PM

I have been following on instagram and my favorite variations are those that used yardage or a high percentage of solids. I really enjoyed following along with the mystery this year, but it is done during one of the craziest parts of my work year and I really struggled to keep up. I rushed a few steps out of impatience and inexperience that I am paying for now....and I refuse to rip all those flying geese and resew them. Next year I think I will wait until after the reveal before starting.

I am still plugging along with my frolic, I am managing a block about every two days. 10 more to go, then the setting half blocks and corners.

LarasAussies 02-20-2020 05:57 PM

Wow i got caught up on all the posts this evening and I really admire all the finishes and appreciate all of the advice. Work got a little crazy so I haven’t finished clue 5 yet but I’ll get there eventually! Of course now I’ve decided that I have to finish either En Provence or Good Fortune first since I’m so far behind on Frolic!

Iceblossom 02-20-2020 06:10 PM

I'm following along with those still reporting in! I haven't completed my back or binding yet but I have decided that I am definitely going with the 5 blocks stepped in a diagonal with the remaining blocks sliced in half and pieced in as well.

I've taken the week off quilting to do some costuming/stuff for the football game. We had such a good time last weekend we are going this week too. We went thrift store shopping for the sales on President's day and came home with all sorts of stuff. Colors are basically safety orange, dark primary green, and a bit of primary blue. Hubby said that if I made him a dragon onesie he would wear it... I'll post pictures after Saturday! I found a large adult green onesie (non-dragon version) at Value Village for $3. I've put on a dragon belly and scales down the back and tomorrow have to finish the dragon hat. (edit: He said no tail but might just change his mind if we go again)

My outfit is "Granny Dragon" and is mostly bought, bright metallic scale leggings under a demure black skirt, green or orange long sleeved shirt with grey official team t-shirt over the long sleeves. Plus a dragon hat thing we bought my son some 20 years ago... But I still want to make a little banner thing tomorrow, I've been working on the hubby's outfit most of the day. We also found a safety orange fleece blanket for less than $5 along with some green sparkly trim which was the first project of the day.

I used to do a lot of garment construction/costuming. This is probably the first thing in 20 years that I've done, certainly this is the first non-quilting (other than a repair here or there) I've done in the 15 years hubby and I have shared our wedded bliss :)