Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

lmanna 12-01-2017 08:50 AM

Clue 2 - I will make my flying geese via paper piecing. I don't intend to buy any of the specialty rulers and paper piecing is the only method I've tried for making flying geese that give me perfect points every time in every position.

I made my Clue 1 units switching Bonnie's neutrals for my gray and her brown for my neutrals. I liked the way the blocks turned out but last night I was second guessing that decision. Now that I've seen the units for Clue 2 I think I'm going to stick with my decision. My geese will be yellow with gray sky and I think I might like that look better than yellow geese with white sky.

At least that's the current plan at the moment. All subject to change at any time of course

waltonalice 12-01-2017 09:09 AM

I’m answering BelfreyBat, sewbizgirl, Givio, and Sandra-P about Bonnie’s admonition this morning.
Like several of you, I hadn’t heard about the GI problem. I certainly understand the issue of her blog’s income being dependent on the number of visitors; that explains why she insists on having people go directly to her site and asks the rest of us to refrain from making copies.
I also understand that this is a mystery, so we should avoid spoiling the surprise for others.
Sandra mentioned that we shouldn’t refer to the number of units, but Bonnie specifically says “make 50 four patches.” It is true that many of us use scraps, which are not width of fabric. However, there are many new quilters or people who feel uneasy about their math skills. I saw one entry that said that one would need a ratio of one unit of brown, four units of teal, and five units of coral for clue one. That was incorrect; another person noted that we should use the same number of coral and teal and that we would need two WOF browns and 8 of teal and coral to make 50 units. This is important information for those who have limited fabric.
I wish that Bonnie would either give generalized information like this, not gag us from sharing the info with newbies, or give us an easy way to ask for specific help. The fact that she’s so busy means that she’d be overwhelmed, so I wish that she had some forum specifically dedicated to some of the common problems that we encounter. I certainly don’t want to go against her wishes/instructions, but I also want to see a place for people to get that little bit of extra info that they need in order not to tun out of fabric.

kristijoy 12-01-2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 7954176)
I'm going to be using my Easy Flying Geese Ruler by Kimberly Einmo for these units. It works kind of like Bonnie's Essential Triangle tool. I'm hoping this isn't the only clue using the Simple Folded Corners Ruler, because will be quite a waste of money.... I'll stay positive and guess that it's not!:)

I have a Kimberly Einmo ruler too. I've used it for geese before with a cut large type of method. I cut the sky to correct size and the geese a bit oversized.

I would love to get better at the cut-to-size technique, but I really need to make a bunch to get better at my technique. Seems like maybe this is the time! For me I think the challenge is feeding the bias into my machine. I've got the seam guide set up for the 9-patches, so I'm going to give it a go for the triangles. My suspicion is that I really need to SLOW down when stitching so the bias doesn't stretch and change the size of the seam. I might also starch my fabrics a second time so the are stiffer.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Feathers-N-Fur 12-01-2017 09:47 AM

For those who want to die cut this clue, for the coral geese I’m using Go! die 55396 qst 3” finished triangle, and for the neutral sky die 55319 hst 1 1/2” finished triangle. Or if you prefer the Quilt in a Day rulers, it is the Small Flying Geese Ruler.

GramE 12-01-2017 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ScubaK (Post 7954272)
Ok!
What is everyones favorite way to make Flying Geese?
I son't think I have ever made any this small!!!
Yikes!
Kirsten

I’ll one up you ScubaK because nary a flying goose has flown under my presser foot, EVER. I’m watching to see the answers to your questions. :eek:
I tried 4, now I’m taking a break!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584626[/ATTACH]

tscweaves 12-01-2017 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Macybaby - congratulations on finishing your last mystery, that must feel good.

Here is a small gaggle of geese, I made them by stitching the square to the rectangle and and trimming the corners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584625[/ATTACH]

Macybaby 12-01-2017 10:03 AM

Yea! I'm off work now for the weekend (longer hours M-Th and half a day on Friday). However I put a new floppy on the LA this morning before I logged in, and I want to get more done on that first. DH is washing cabinet drawers so I'll be doing more painting later (Island is next - so getting close to done).

Kassaundra 12-01-2017 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making mine by the no waste method, one large square and 4 small squares making 4 at a time. Mine are coming out perfect no waste no trimming except the dog ears. I have 12 made and all the square cut, the small ones marked. I wanted to try the seminole piecing method, but couldn't bring myself to have that much waste when I knew I could do it w/o any.

Here is a pic of my clue 1 and 2. I lay out my units into a block shape anyone who doesn't want to see that kind of layout might want to scroll fast or block my posts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584628[/ATTACH]

Belfrybat 12-01-2017 11:38 AM

Since I'm using yardage I'll be using the magic 8 method. Actually, if I were doing scrappy I'd also use the magic 8 method as the pieces will be scattered throughout the quilt and duplicates won't be noticed.

Sync 12-01-2017 11:52 AM

Kassaundra, I like the no waste method too. I'm not sure if I'll make my flying geese by that method or not. When I did the flying geese units in Allietare ( my very first BH mystery) I used the stitch and flip. I wasn't very happy with how some of them were turning out but kept plugging away. ....... decisions, decisions ...... lol.