Quilt Challenge!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Working on a disappearing nine patch right now doing quilt as you go. Working out pretty good so far. :) :)
Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM

Hello and thanks for posting. I am very familiar with the nine patch pattern. However, I'm not sure what a disappearing nine patch is. Would love to see the pattern... Thanks

Originally Posted by etheriot
Working on a disappearing nine patch right now doing quilt as you go. Working out pretty good so far. :) :)
Barb
Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 AM

Missouri Quilt Co has a video. Also on YouTube. Check it out. Really neat. Makes a pretty quilt.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 AM

Hi Barb go to Missouriquiltco.com or do a search here for DP9. Great tutorial. I made my squares 5 1/2" so that my finished block would be 15".
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!
I just finished this top that I started at Christmas break, a Chimneysweep pattern made from scraps of white cotton and white muslin, and my red reproduction fabric stash.

I didn't have enough white for backing so I bought 4 yards on the sale table at a quilt guild show last week. It was $3 a yard. And when I got it home and unfolded it to wash it, i discovered it's 108" wide! Woohoo! I love other quilters' leftovers!

I plan to baste this top on the longarm but then hand quilt it. I can't afford a beautiful antique red and white quilt like those shown in NYC last week in the Museum of American Folk Art's exhibit. So I guess I will make my own! How's that for pioneer spirit?

Red repro Chimneysweep top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179507[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179501.jpe  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm working on two baby quilts right now that are scrap quilts. I'll be starting a qayg soon, so i'm up for the challenge.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by lin
This is such a good idea quiltmaker. I've made many scrap quilts in the attempt to put my scrap basket out of business. With no luck. I'm currently working on a really large one. Thought that would do the trick. Hasn't made a dent! :lol: But I'll keep trying. Dh says I never need to buy another FQ as long as I live and I could just keeping putting them out one after another. I've even given my whole scrap basket away. Twice!! :shock: It multiplies in the dark, I swear it does!

This will motivate me to work harder to get this one done in time so I can (NOT) send it to k_juipiter for judging. :lol: :lol:

LOL Do you mean that washers eat socks and quilt scraps multiply like rabbits? So funny! Serenitybygrace
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks I will!

Missouri Quilt Co has a video. Also on YouTube. Check it out. Really neat. Makes a pretty quilt.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks I will!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 PM

I too have just read this post, and think this is the place to be for me! Though I love quilting and making quilts, there are only so many quilts that I can make to give to family and friends. So for me the answer is to make quilts for our guild--quilts which then get donated to the hospitals here and go to hospitalized children and adults.

Since the guild is at times the recipient of donated fabric (some of which can be small pieces), the challenge is to make quilts from these donated fabrics. And scrappy is the way to go for me using this fabric--and it becomes rather neat to find new ways of doing scrappy!(All the quilters donating their time are extremely gracious in helping out with ideas as well!) So count me in on this site--I look forward to sharing these scrappy quilts with you all! :-D :D

Here is one of my recent ones, made from 1 1/2 inch strips.

It is a baby quilt and the pattern is courthouse steps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183414[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183408.jpe