Quilt Challenge!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 AM

Very, very pretty!!!

Originally Posted by Iris P. View Post
Here are a few more quilts made from scraps -- all going to our Guild to be donated to the hospitals here in town. They were fun to make.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:03 AM

I am working on a shower curtain right now from one of the BOMs from this board. I am making that from all my scraps and when that is done I am going to start on a Grandmother's flower garden or dresden plate from the rest of my scraps.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Scraps

I just recently cleaned out my scraps and sent 20 big bags to a local women's prison for them to start a quilting program. Yes, I had a 55 gallon chest on wheels that you could not squeeze a 2" square into plus bags and other containers. It was time. Am looking forward to doing this. Thanks for the challenge.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101 View Post
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.
I make most of my quilts using scraps...alot of BOM's and mystery quilts. Since I found how quick & easy "fun & done" style quilts are to do, I have several going at once. Bound to have something to add to this challenge. Glad you put it with a sticky, promise it won't move till the challenge is over as I (and others, I'm sure) will tend to forget about it). When is the due date on this? I didn't see it reading through all these pages...or maybe just missed it. This will be fun!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 AM

Great idea. Scrap quilts are always fun.....now just to decide what to make. As posted, there is a new mystery quilt being started by Quiltville that uses scraps.....that would be one way to go.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!
As long as the pioneering spirit is limited to what you wrote here. We don't have to hand-sew by the dim light of a candle, do we? And please tell me I don't have to drag my quilt to the well and beat it with a rock to get it washed. lol
Old 11-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
As long as the pioneering spirit is limited to what you wrote here. We don't have to hand-sew by the dim light of a candle, do we? And please tell me I don't have to drag my quilt to the well and beat it with a rock to get it washed. lol
Martina you crack me up!!!

OK, so I guess I'll give this a whirl. I already have a big bag of scraps I was going to donate to the organization for the blind here, because they make stuffed toys to sell. But they aren't taking any more scraps right now....so, I'm now ahead of this scrappy quilt thingy....now to pick some kind of pattern. And sort my scraps. Never done this before, so I may be asking for advice on how to sort....dark medium and light? By size? So many options!!! Oh me!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Great idea, I use a jumbo zip lock bag, it's clear, messy but I can see my scraps, and it holds gallons. I started a apple core using scraps, maybe by this time next year I'll finish it. I agree that they multiply at night. Great use for potholders too.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM

You are too funny - and kind! I will be sure to make mine EXTRA GIRLY before I send it to you for "Judging."
I think I'd be better off If I just send you a picture and hope you can judge from that!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 AM

I am new to the board. Most of my quilts are scraps. I had a shop back in the "70's & '80's and I am still using fabric from when I closed then. I do think the fabric increases over night. I love to just see what comes from the scraps. I have just finished quilting some tops from the "40's that I inherited when my friend passed away.