Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 08-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Hey Battle Ax, your block is gorgeous in the purples and greens. I have been admiring your work since the beginning of the BOW. The only off block I see is the upper right green triangle in the 2nd row. If it isnt an easy rip and fix, just leave it. It is a busy enough block and quilt to make small points unseeable.
Thanks for the compliments.....but look careful.....and you will see my off points too, The accuracy, as you know, is a combo of cutting, stitching, pressing, and matching seams. The best tip I can share, is to heavily starch your fabric before you cut your squares or triangle.....I mean crunchy and stiff like cardstock paper.. On those tiny 1" square blocks and triangles, they stay firm when you sew with tiny stitches (20 stitches/inch) and it is easy to maintain an accurate 1/4" seam. Don't use pins on tiny blocks...the distortion is too much. Use elmer's washable glue, heat set, if you must pin. Both these products will wash out when the quilt is finished. But even quilting is easier on starched blocks. Good luck, Jane

Last edited by Jane Quilter; 08-14-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tips Jane I don't like tine pieces because they shift to easily. I use starch but I will try more when making those little hst. Marcia I think Jane is right. I see little wrong and it is beautiful.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:26 PM

Jane Quilter, thanks for the tips. Proof you can teach and old dog new tricks. Have never used Elmer's Glue instead of pins... I'll have to try that.
Battle Axe I don't see anything wrong. Perhaps they are seeing where the green print touches the green triangle? If so, its not a mistake, its just the way the colors fell when you sewed it together. If there is something else, I can't find it and neither would a blind man on a galloping horse! Janet
Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful blocks, ladies. I don't seem to mind a bit of a point lost nearly as much as intersections that don't line up, LOL! Those stick out like a sore thumb, to me.

Marcia, I'm sure your plan for your borders and sashings will be just as nice as the original. I usually change something in every pattern, too.

Hope to get my last two blocks caught up very soon, now that I am finally done with my Boom Swap blocks. (I made about 50 of them!)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie I agree. I tore apart my block from last weeks summer picnic bow. The bottom row was so miss matched . But it's fixed now and I'm ready for tomorrows block. Here is my block for this week. Please ignore the lost points. lol It wouldn't be mine without a few gone. lol.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03693.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Just lurking and loving all the blocks. Great job everyone!!!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Hi happylab!

Mary, your block is just beautiful! I love the 4 fussy cut flowers you have... they really make your block special!

Here are my last two... Now I'm all caught up and ready for the final block!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578939[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2726-small-.jpg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 08-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Am I first today? Here is my #15 Flying Checkerboard. (I made two alike.) I changed up the center squares' color layout, so I could add a little bit more navy blue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577741[/ATTACH]
I guess there is a good part about lagging behind. I really like some of the changes people have made to this block. I also plan to change the center and will try to make the wing part of the flying geese. Very cute center square Jan!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 AM

Thanks for the compliments, AnnaQuilts. I'm loving all the different versions.

Here is my block #17, Tulip Lady Fingers. Its not pretty, but the size came out perfect and it will work with my other blocks. I think I was supposed to use one more print in the little four patches, but I got confused when I focused on getting those little HST right. I went slow, and starched them, but did not use glue because I press my seams open. I lucked out and didn't lose any points. Not sure if I'll make a second block like this for Gloria's quilt or not. If I do, I'll post it, because her colors are different. I really like this block pattern. Janet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]578940[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails r-r-17-tulip-lady-fingers.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:57 AM

Jane Quilter......You admired my work!!!! Sure was a good thing I was sitting down when I read that! I am but a novice and a slovenly (when it comes to points) one at that. Everyone else's work here on this board is wonderful. Thanks to all for helping me.

Marcia