Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-31-2017, 10:47 AM

Yep, says make 50! We do have the 50 9-patches, so that makes sense, but it seems like a lot.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:49 AM

That equals to just over 4000 square inches, leaving just enough square inches left for sashing and setting triangles.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
This might be a silly question, but how do you all press your units and get good results? I figure press and it takes me hours to press 200+ units, while it only takes me a couple to sew them. I'm sure there is a faster way because I have seen people a few hours after a clue goes live saying "All done!" And I'm scratching my head thinking "How???" I believe it's my pressing that is slowing me down. With so much work ahead of us and a clue a day, I would appreciate any tips!
I do chain piecing, and then i do chain pressing......then I cut them apart. Usually I make one block (of the 50) at a time, and choose my fabrics so they look good together while being scrappy. This business of making 200 at a time and not knowing what sits next to each other is a real stretch for my brain, but I am utilizing the chain piecing technique. Due to this technique, I have ran out of coral, ordered some on line, but they came in PINK. grrr. So I had to dig in my stash and flip to the orange side, which I have now also ran out of. Again, I don't know how this is going to fit next to one another, so I am kind of sad. But I am mushing on, at turtle speed. Glad to have friends on the qb to see that this does work for most people. Now done with clue 6, I will start on clue 7 tomorrow. Good luck with your pressing. Tip of the day: don't use steam....it adds to the stretch on the bias.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:02 AM

I'm definitely in the turtle brigade, I still need to finish #3 way behind there. Plus trim up my geese. I just had to try one of today's clues to see what it would look like and I can see I have have a problem with my outer points not meeting so I will go back and change that, and be more careful from now on. Everyone's photo's and idea layout's are looking so great,very interesting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]586289[/ATTACH] I do miss the color variation of scrappy, this seems so stark.
Attached Thumbnails 20171231_103851%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 AM

I really love a blue / yellow quilt, this looks great. I don't see stark I see peaceful, serene.
Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I'm definitely in the turtle brigade, I still need to finish #3 way behind there. Plus trim up my geese. I just had to try one of today's clues to see what it would look like and I can see I have have a problem with my outer points not meeting so I will go back and change that, and be more careful from now on. Everyone's photo's and idea layout's are looking so great,very interesting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]586289[/ATTACH] I do miss the color variation of scrappy, this seems so stark.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:07 AM

hey windblown, love your colors. I am almost 100% scrappy girl, but I think I messed up. Yours looks perfect. Not stark at all. Wait ans see, yours will shine like stars in the night sky! Jane
Old 12-31-2017, 11:10 AM

Or stars reflected off the lake water.
Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
hey windblown, love your colors. I am almost 100% scrappy girl, but I think I messed up. Yours looks perfect. Not stark at all. Wait ans see, yours will shine like stars in the night sky! Jane
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM

I played around with EQ, trying to figure out what the options are for layouts, given the size she gave at the start,and the blocks we have made. I'm guessing on point, with the rectangles as sashing, and some cornerstones and setting triangles still to be cut/assembled. 50 blocks doesn't make a good horizontal layout (5x10? Ick - too long) And with alternate blocks, I guess we could have 49 alternates for a 9x11 quilt - but for 9" blocks that is 81x99, bigger than her size.

For those not wanted on-point - my EQ playing came up with an amazing secondary pattern from the sashing blocks - so don't throw in the towel on that setting yet.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I played around with EQ, trying to figure out what the options are for layouts, given the size she gave at the start,and the blocks we have made. I'm guessing on point, with the rectangles as sashing, and some cornerstones and setting triangles still to be cut/assembled. 50 blocks doesn't make a good horizontal layout (5x10? Ick - too long) And with alternate blocks, I guess we could have 49 alternates for a 9x11 quilt - but for 9" blocks that is 81x99, bigger than her size.

For those not wanted on-point - my EQ playing came up with an amazing secondary pattern from the sashing blocks - so don't throw in the towel on that setting yet.
Thanks for the offer.....may take you up on a secondary (not-on-point) layout, Jane
Old 12-31-2017, 11:21 AM

I was having trouble w/ the 50 too no layout made sense w/ 50.
Originally Posted by kristakz View Post