Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-01-2018, 02:45 PM

I've got my 50 blocks done. These I plan on putting together as revealed.

However I've got two more smaller sets to play with, and they had not yet had the corners added to the shaded four square so I've been playing around with the smaller set. By smaller, it's half the number of blocks, but also half the size.

I also rotated the corner blocks, and alternated between gold/ green (its a bit towards the aqua, but is more green in person). One of the reasons this works for me is I messed up on my colors after doing the 9 patch, so the 9 patch has the beige/burgundy where I wanted it, and for the rest I got those two mixed up and put burgundy where I wanted beige and vise-versa.

This is my second alternate set, this one has the beige and burgundy swapped. I think that is why I messed up on the little ones, I started making them like this set and they were suppose to be more like the original set.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Wow Macy you are a machine. I like all of yours. NZ I think your alternative looks great
Old 01-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Macybaby I am in awe that you have your 50 blocks completed, I bow to you!

All my units are finished and now I need to sew them together in blocks.

Jan
Old 01-01-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Okay, I think know what I'm going to do I flipped the clue 5/7 units around on the Folded corners blocks. I'll piece my sashing to make the coral triangles and the brown corner square on the sashing look like a secondary pattern of the monkey wrench quilt pattern. In the photo my sashing isn't pieced yet, but I'll sew a coral 2" x2" square on each end of a 2" x6.5" blue ( or white, I haven't decide yet) strip. I hope that will make it look more like a blue and pink quilt, with brown accents.

What do you all think? The thing I love about Bonnie's mysteries is taking her pattern and personalizing it. Kind of like taking a cake recipe and adding chocolate I love Bonnie's too, please don't get me wrong!

Oops! Forgot to say, I'll use the chevrons as a pieced border too!
This is a good layout. I had some similar thoughts along the lines of aqua sashing. Nice to see it in color rather than just in my head:-)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Wow Macybaby, it looks to me that you have a crew of 5 or 6 professional seamstresses doing all this work. One person???? I bow to you and tip my hat, but I'd like to have my hat right back. It is going to be minus some little number tonight for the high temp.

Marcia
Old 01-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've got my 50 blocks done. These I plan on putting together as revealed.

However I've got two more smaller sets to play with, and they had not yet had the corners added to the shaded four square so I've been playing around with the smaller set. By smaller, it's half the number of blocks, but also half the size.

I also rotated the corner blocks, and alternated between gold/ green (its a bit towards the aqua, but is more green in person). One of the reasons this works for me is I messed up on my colors after doing the 9 patch, so the 9 patch has the beige/burgundy where I wanted it, and for the rest I got those two mixed up and put burgundy where I wanted beige and vise-versa.

This is my second alternate set, this one has the beige and burgundy swapped. I think that is why I messed up on the little ones, I started making them like this set and they were suppose to be more like the original set.

Wow Cathy, you sure have been busy. I love the color combos in the burgandy block, really fine looking to my eye.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Okay, I think know what I'm going to do I flipped the clue 5/7 units around on the Folded corners blocks. I'll piece my sashing to make the coral triangles and the brown corner square on the sashing look like a secondary pattern of the monkey wrench quilt pattern. In the photo my sashing isn't pieced yet, but I'll sew a coral 2" x2" square on each end of a 2" x6.5" blue ( or white, I haven't decide yet) strip. I hope that will make it look more like a blue and pink quilt, with brown accents.

What do you all think? The thing I love about Bonnie's mysteries is taking her pattern and personalizing it. Kind of like taking a cake recipe and adding chocolate I love Bonnie's too, please don't get me wrong!

Oops! Forgot to say, I'll use the chevrons as a pieced border too!
I may not know what I'm talking about and since I have not even done clue's 4-9, it may not make sense, but I agree with you NZquilter about the sashing and I actually hoped for more brown in the pattern. Will it work to make the sashes brown and the cornerstones a different color? I would also like to use the chevrons for a border. It is fun to read all the alternatives and probably to my benefit to be in the turtle group. The last of my company leaves tomorrow, so I will soon be able to set up my sewing area again.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:18 PM

NZquilter and Macybaby, your variations look lovely!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:42 PM

Wow, Cathy, your are stunning! Can you come over to my house? Seriously, that is impressive!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
I may not know what I'm talking about and since I have not even done clue's 4-9, it may not make sense, but I agree with you NZquilter about the sashing and I actually hoped for more brown in the pattern. Will it work to make the sashes brown and the cornerstones a different color?.
I think it would, Carol. If you have brown sashings, it would take the brown from the flying geese and "carry" the color on, so to speak. It will give it a different look by doing way. I didn't try brown.